Regarding hostmasks in admin meeting logs

Offical Chat Forum - if you have question about the chat or anything related to it ask here
The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Regarding hostmasks in admin meeting logs

Recently, I've been notified of peoples worries of hostmasks in admin meeting logs revealing potentially sensitive information.

Example:

Code: Select all

rdl800.qld.optusnet.com.au <--- connected via Optus at the Rochedale switchboard station in Queensland, Australia

It has been requested that these be removed from the logs. Previously, Tekki has gone through and edited them out, but as the logs are lengthy and are made each week, this can become tedious.

To protect those worries, we have a Vhost (Virtual Host) service on IRC which you can use to "mask" your hostmask, thus hiding any sensitive information.

rdl800.qld.optusnet.com.au ----> You.Just@Lost.The.Game

In order to use this service, you need to have your nick registered on IRC. If it is not, and you don't know how to register, please look at this tutorial.

Then, join the #vhosts channel and use

!vhost your@vhost.here

Examples:

!vhost You.Just@Lost.The.Game
!vhost Hiding@Sensitive.Information

Then, whenever you connect to IRC, make sure you are identified (this tutorial if you need to know how to do this) before you join #theplace. It's important to make sure you are identified before you join #theplace because if you are not identified, the vhost will not be in effect, and the logs will show your hostmask.

(Haz) has joined #theplace (You.Just@Lost.The.Game)

I will go through the current logs and remove the hostmasks for everyone.

If anyone has any trouble with setting a vhost, contact me on IRC (nickname is usually Haz).
Last edited by The Doctor on Fri May 20, 2011 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Slight additions
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323