GhostyGoo
Forum Addict
Alliance: 5PYM45T3R
Race: HE WHO KEEPS ME HERE
ID: 0
Location: ZOOMING THROUGH YOUR EGO AT A ZILLION MILES AN HOUR

Honours and Awards

I, Replicate's Guide for Avoiding being "Hacked"

I Replicate wrote:If you dont want your account "hacked" (you all use that term too loosely), just do the following:
1) Dont EVER give out your pass. 99% of the so called "hackers" just learned your password from you or someone else you told your password to.
2) Dont have your pass related to anything stargate, your username, your email, or even interests. Try to keep it something thats seems random, but may mean something to you personally.
3) If you follow the two above steps, no one can "hack" your account in sgw, but another thing to do is register at yahoo or hotmail or something for a new email address, change your email to that, and dont tell anyone that new email. The email is also needed to log in, and there are too many possibilities for someone to bother with that. But, if you use your personal one that everyone knows about, thats one less thing one has to bother with

4) Just a general password tip: there are 4 types of characters: lowercase (a), uppercase (A), numers (1), and special (&). Sgw itself it not case sensitive, so that leave 3 character types to use for your pass. Use each type at least once in your pass. And in general password making, use all 4 types. Only 8-14 characters at most are needed if you follow these 4 rules.

I am making this a sticky in the newby and cheaters sections. Thank you I, Replicate :)

-Goo™
ImageImageImage
Spoiler
GhostyGoo wrote:Yesno.
the3rdlibra wrote:if it's a silly turnip head competition you want, i'm going to decline as i think i may have met my match in you vegetable brains.
Cersei Lannister wrote:Debasing? I am not the one drawing crazy pictures of force fielded stick figures.
Energise
Magical Monkeys & Grapefruit Migration:|:Hallowed are the Gò.Ó'ri™ **fixed**
Lord Smaug
Forum Regular

You know whats about 3 people knows my login data, and I always use the same pass everywhere i only change digits like ****1 or****2 , etc
Sleipnir
Merriest Mod in the West

Honours and Awards

Duke Achilles wrote:You know whats about 3 people knows my login data

Still 2 too many.

One more thing to prevent "hacking": When using a public computer, never ever allow it to remember your password. Ever! And keep your email passwords just as safe as your game password, so people can't use the "forgot login" page to send the password to your email, and then just get your PW from the email.

As soon as you build an idiot proof system, somebody else builds a better idiot.

If it moves, kill it. If it doesn't move, kick it until it does move, and then kill it.
cinder__393
Forum Grunt

i got an idea as well (i know yas dont wont ppls posting in here but

USE a different email (i mean not ya game email) for MSN Yahoo or what ever u use so ppls dont know ya game email
Treebeard
Forum Grunt

That is extremely helpfull I Replicate. I thank you too.
"And when he gets to heaven
To Saint Peter he will tell
One more soldier reporting Sir
I've served my time in hell"
War Bird 22
Forum Newbie

Joker XIII wrote:You know whats about 3 people knows my login data, and I always use the same pass everywhere i only change digits like ****1 or****2 , etc

I spose 1, is your main account, 2 is your multi, 3 is your other multi :shock:
~Paul~
Katahu
Forum Newbie

My recommendation when it comes to passwords is to change it every so often. Like once a week, if you're that paranoid, or once a month or two. Not only that, make sure that the password you make is so complicated that you are forced to write it down on a sheet of paper and keep that sheet of paper in a safe and secure location.

Remember, a password becomes powerful if you have to write it down.
Blessed are those who march in unison.
Child of the Ori
I Replicate
Forum Intermediate

Akata wrote:My recommendation when it comes to passwords is to change it every so often. Like once a week, if you're that paranoid, or once a month or two. Not only that, make sure that the password you make is so complicated that you are forced to write it down on a sheet of paper and keep that sheet of paper in a safe and secure location.

uhhh... i highly recommend NOT writing down passwords... thats just not a good thing to practice...

And if by complicated, you mean long, it really doesnt need to be that long. 8-12 character passwords are plenty long enough to avoid being hacked. 14 at most I would say. There isnt really a need to make it unnecessarily complicated. But if you are that paranoid, it wouldnt hurt I suppose. I just really dont recommend writing down ANY passwords you have...

But the changing your password every so often suggestion is a very good thing to do.
Katahu
Forum Newbie

I Replicate wrote:
Akata wrote:My recommendation when it comes to passwords is to change it every so often. Like once a week, if you're that paranoid, or once a month or two. Not only that, make sure that the password you make is so complicated that you are forced to write it down on a sheet of paper and keep that sheet of paper in a safe and secure location.

uhhh... i highly recommend NOT writing down passwords... thats just not a good thing to practice...

And if by complicated, you mean long, it really doesnt need to be that long. 8-12 character passwords are plenty long enough to avoid being hacked. 14 at most I would say. There isnt really a need to make it unnecessarily complicated. But if you are that paranoid, it wouldnt hurt I suppose. I just really dont recommend writing down ANY passwords you have...

But the changing your password every so often suggestion is a very good thing to do.

Well, I work as a pharmacy tech in the USAF [stationed at Little Rock AFB] and I was taught that if you have to write down passwords because you can't remember it for long, then the password is effective.

That's the way I was raised.
Blessed are those who march in unison.
Child of the Ori
Alpha13snake
Forum Irregular
Alliance: V For Victory
Race: Human

Best method for a good password I have encounter is:-

Take a word:- stargate

Then do this:- s 1 t 2 a 3 r 4 g 5 a 6 t 7 e 8

I do all my passwords like this, its proved fast to make, secure and not that hard to remember after a few times.

Hope this helps.

P.s. The password used is random and does not relate to any known account, either mine or anyone elses. (This is for those ppls that think their getting the action figure with the car, if you know what I mean). :lol:
"Revolution 2011!!!"

The Normalcy Bias

The normalcy bias refers to an extreme mental state people enter when facing a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the possibility of a disaster occurring and its possible effects. This often results in situations where people fail to adequately prepare for a disaster, and on a larger scale, the failure of the government to include the populace in its disaster preparations. The assumption that is made in the case of the normalcy bias is that since a disaster never has occurred that it never will occur. It also results in the inability of people to cope with a disaster once it occurs. People with a normalcy bias have difficulties reacting to something they have not experienced before. People also tend to interpret warnings in the most optimistic way possible, seizing on any ambiguities to infer a less serious situation.

Are you suffering from normalcy bias?
R3B3L
Forum Elder
Race: Asgard
ID: 29252

For the best possible secure passwords, use a mix of letters, numbers AND punctuation.

Using Stargate as the example again:

5t4.gat3.

Something like that is so obscure its bound to work.

P.S

i stumbled on this while creating my hotmail, as soon as i put a punctuation mark in jumped straight to a Strong password (with a mix of letters and numbers).

Medium level passwords would be letters and numbers like posted above, or obscure jumbled words.

Low level passwords would be words used in everyday language, such as "paper"
Castiel
Forum Expert
Alliance: DDE
Race: Angel
ID: 10351

hm id like to suggest get some stupid password like mV3a1dEP3

or sum and memorise it

>>> http://www.pctools.com/guides/password/ << password generator
you can have it make you an password :)
What's it feel like? Took the wrong route
Watch it fall apart now you're knockin' at the wrong gate
For you to pay the toll, a price for you alone
The only deal you'll find, I'll gladly take your soul

Eleven's hour is over now, the clock is striking Twelve.
Hansbrough
Forum Expert

um, just so you all know... there's no encryption... any 2bit hack that can rout you logging into sgw through their server will gain access to your password. While it's wise to never hand out passwords (yes no-brainer), it won't stop many of the hackers, such as the ones that took control of bryan's account.
phantomx

but if theyre keylogged...

how can they use these "Tips" to avoid being hacked then although itf you think your keylogged, you dnt login anythin and just reboot, also could use onscreen keyoard or copy+paste but what would you suggest?

Return to “For Admin Archives”