CLOSED vs DELETE, what is the most appropriate choice?

Spacey
Forum Zombie
ID: 0

CLOSED vs DELETE, what is the most appropriate choice?

There seems to be some confusion between "closed" and "delete".

Delete is defined as:
  • remove or make invisible; "Please delete my name from your list"
  • wipe out magnetically recorded information
  • cut or eliminate; "she edited the juiciest scenes"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/delete

Closed is defined as:
  • not open or affording passage or access; "the many closed streets made travel difficult"; "our neighbors peeped from behind closed curtains"
  • requiring union membership; "a closed shop"
  • not open to the general public; "a closed meeting"
  • blocked against entry; "a closed porch"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/closed

Adding delete to the subject line says you, the thread creator wants the thread to be removed from existence, to have it removed and not accessible again. The most accurate/precise definition(looking at the above two) is delete.

Adding closed to the subject line tells the people looking that you are no longer in the market. A good analogy is like closing a store. Just because it is closed doesn't mean the store will never open again(difference between closing and deleting).
"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers.
For those who shed their blood with me today
will always be my brother."
Quina Quen
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Diamond Dust

Re: CLOSED vs DELETE, what is the most appropriate choice?

The 'closing' of threads would be the most appropriate choice if the player will and does open and close their recruitment processes at varying times. The obvious problem is whether or not that person is capable of finding their thread. Out of general laziness, most people won't bother to edit their original post.

I suggest that the moderators work out how many dead threads they want sinking to the bottom of the forum and ask if there's any point in bothering over them? If the answer is 'yes', then delete delete delete! :-)
The ascended entity formerly known as Diamond Dust
MajorLeeHurts
Major Pain

In an attempt to keep the Recruitment Center clean and current, topics by the request of author to close , or 10 days without activity will be locked. They will remain locked for approximately 24 hours before being moved to The Dumping grounds. If during that 24 hrs the Author request the topic reopened a request can be sent and the topic reopened.
Kaboomer wrote: "Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for. "
Lord-RahL
Forum Expert

Oh damn you back also????

RahL

Return to “Recruitment Center - find a Commander.... Commander seeking Officers...”