Debate: Gay Marriage (Smooshable vs Myseri)

Phoenix of Terra
Forum Zombie
Alliance: ex-TSA
Race: Troll
ID: 12371123

Re: Debate: Gay Marriage (Smooshable vs Myseri)

Ok, here's a question that comes to mind. With the absolute lack of laws preventing people from living together (and laws protecting privacy), the existence of power of attorney, and the ability to adopt, why is there a need for gay marriage, seeing as it appears that people can be married in all but words in today's society?

This being said, I've drawn this question from very basic observations of US law.
My name is red because I'm one of the few Tok`ra. Your questions have now been answered.
Pimping D wrote:if this game has made you cry please delete your account and get a life
Prophet of Truth wrote:You are an impediment that the universe can no longer abide. Nature itself cries out for your destruction...
The Phoenix Awards!
Come_Forth
Forum Expert
ID: 0

Married couples in the United States have rights that singles do not have such as lower income taxes. There are other rights, but they vary from state to state.
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
Myseri
Forum Elite
Alliance: The Pond
Race: Goa'uld
ID: 15959

Thanks for the questions.

There can never be a true free society. For there will always someone setting rules down for others to follow. My definition of a free society is one where each is allowed to do as they please, but with that, that means there is no definition of crime or punishment. For everything is fair in a society as that. I could walk and claim this land as my own, and that would be what it says for there is no rule for me to not say that. There is also no rule for it to stay mine. A moment later someone could put his foot down and say it is his, and then it would be his as there is no rules to what may happen.

That is what makes up a free society. So instead of the question reading "in a free society" it should state, "in society". Since society is the group in which we live in. That would fit more compared to that which never will exist as long as man walks the earth.

As far as laws? In certain states within the United States, there is a ban on the marriage between two men, or two women. There was 11 states in all, ranging from Montana to Mississippi. Each banning gay marriages within their jurisdiction. I don't know if that is the law you are talking about. You might be talking about the law that which gives a married couple certain rights such as low income taxes. It is these benefits that "gay" people don't have access to for how they chose to live.

Yes Corran Horn. We are in a democracy. That is if you live within the United States. A democracy is only able to stay in office if we chose to live by the choices of the mass. If the government was to put into play the banning of gay marriages, then that apparently is the decision of the masses. The 11 states mentioned earlier, the banning of gay marriage, was put to a vote and it passed with atleast a majority in favor. So once again, it is the voice of the masses.
Phoenix of Terra
Forum Zombie
Alliance: ex-TSA
Race: Troll
ID: 12371123

Thanks, that clarifies somethings. Good job to both sides.
My name is red because I'm one of the few Tok`ra. Your questions have now been answered.
Pimping D wrote:if this game has made you cry please delete your account and get a life
Prophet of Truth wrote:You are an impediment that the universe can no longer abide. Nature itself cries out for your destruction...
The Phoenix Awards!
Fear Of The Duck
Forum Zombie

tnx myseri. now i know wher ya came from and yer posts now got more coherent..
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

I can understand both Smooshable and Myseri's view points. I believe that each state should decide whether or not it wants to allow gay marriages. The way it is set up now the supreme court could rule either way and throw the individual decisions away, this should not be. The United States is a diverse place, and no one view will work across the United States. The same thing with abortion, evolution/creationism, and drugs. It would calm down the political scene because neither the Conservatives nor the Liberals would be forced to change their ways because of shifting power in Washington.
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
smooshable
Forum Expert

Honours and Awards

I still struggle with Myseri's central argument. That we do not live in a free society. It's certainly not a perfect society, but isn't perfection what we should be striving for? We're bombing countries half way around the world to hopefully improve the quality of freedom for people living there. Why are we so quick to assume that we here in the free world have already got as much freedom as is possible? I don't know why we do it but I know we shouldn't.

This debate is about whether or not the government SHOULD deny same sex couples the same rights as heterosexual governments.

The opposition has argued very well why they DON'T. But hasn't shown why they SHOULDN'T.

If the government is going to deny rights to certain groups for reasons that aren't acceptable to a modern, free thinking generation then quite simply, they're not doing their job.
Indu and proud of it!!
Myseri
Forum Elite
Alliance: The Pond
Race: Goa'uld
ID: 15959

Sorry, but there is no such thing as a free society. For it to be free, it would mean we can do what ever we want without any form of consequence or responsibility. That world does not exist. A free society does not have rules that you live by. To be be free, is to be without restrictions. As long as someone is in charge, then there will no complete free society.

As far as why the government SHOULD NOT allow same sex marriages the same rights that opposite sex marriages do is simple. I have stated this multiple times and will continue to state it until you realize it. It is because it is wrong! How do we know it is wrong? That is because the masses believe it that way. How do we know when other things are wrong? The masses believe it that way.

For example, you talked about slavery. Yes our government in the United States condoned those actions. But do you know why they did? Because a majority of the masses still held it to be right to do. Racism is the same way, it was okay to be disrespectful to a member of a different race, because at the time, the masses found it to be okay. You live by what the masses say is right and wrong. And still to this day, the masses say that same sex marriages is wrong. That is why the government will not, and should not allow it. For if they do allow such a thing to occur, then there will be dire consequences from the masses that don't agree. You don't want to be removed, you listen to the masses.
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

I am taking those two final post's as your conclusions. Please wait for judging now.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
hidden
Lord of Chickens

Myseri wrote:Sorry, but there is no such thing as a free society. For it to be free, it would mean we can do what ever we want without any form of consequence or responsibility. That world does not exist. A free society does not have rules that you live by. To be be free, is to be without restrictions. As long as someone is in charge, then there will no complete free society.

As far as why the government SHOULD NOT allow same sex marriages the same rights that opposite sex marriages do is simple. I have stated this multiple times and will continue to state it until you realize it. It is because it is wrong! How do we know it is wrong? That is because the masses believe it that way. How do we know when other things are wrong? The masses believe it that way.

For example, you talked about slavery. Yes our government in the United States condoned those actions. But do you know why they did? Because a majority of the masses still held it to be right to do. Racism is the same way, it was okay to be disrespectful to a member of a different race, because at the time, the masses found it to be okay. You live by what the masses say is right and wrong. And still to this day, the masses say that same sex marriages is wrong. That is why the government will not, and should not allow it. For if they do allow such a thing to occur, then there will be dire consequences from the masses that don't agree. You don't want to be removed, you listen to the masses.

ok let me see if i understand

your saying the government should not allow gay marriage because they will be voted out of office if they do?
Wolf359 wrote:I agree with hidden
semper

Answer in a pm reply please.

**LOCKED**
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
semper

Smooshable
1. (/30)25
2. (/20)26
3. (/20)20
4. (/15)7
5. (/15)10

total = 89/100

Myseri
1. (/30)25
2. (/20)25
3. (/20)25
4. (/15)9
5. (/15)10

Total = 94

Liked you both very much. I would say to you both, develope good points a little more if I had to scrape the barrel. Overall though twas good.

Total So far:

Smoosh: 179/200 Myseri: 189/200

Just waiting for tom to judge so you can get ur final grades.

ps. I couldnt see any mistakes or anything that made me feel odd towards it, but I will re-check when I have more time, but im usually good at spotting things like that, so you should be all in the clear.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
semper

tom twin wrote:S=90 M=92

Final marks: Smoosh: 269/300 (90% - A)

Myseri : 281/300 (94% - A)

Well done, twas a close one.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler

Return to “Official league, judged, debates”