Is a forum without Mods a bad forum?

generaloneill
Forum Regular
Alliance: lone wolf
Race: Tollan
ID: 6258

Is a forum without Mods a bad forum?

Dont have a vendetta, just for fun, but I happen to go on this other forum which is very active and is not moderated, just has report a thread buttons and it is kept up to date and very clean, all spam threads are deleted fast and there are just one or two admins. Just wondering what you guys thought about this?

And the forum in question has thousands of users online at any one time.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Is a forum without Mods a bad forum?

Well yes.. paid administrators would be able to pull something like that off, if they are working in shifts.

Volunteer staff, no way. :)
a. They have no obligation to be around (which paid administrators would)
b. They can leisurely do whatever they want while around (which paid administrators wouldn't, they'd have to keep up all the time)
c. They can participate in the forums (which paid administrators wouldn't, as they'd have better things to do, like responding to reported threads)

Ah well.. you have a good point. I don't know if your administrators are paid, but these here are not. ;) Can't expect them to hover over the forums 24/7.

Good thread, btw.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

generaloneill wrote:Dont have a vendetta, just for fun, but I happen to go on this other forum which is very active and is not moderated, just has report a thread buttons and it is kept up to date and very clean, all spam threads are deleted fast and there are just one or two admins. Just wondering what you guys thought about this?

And the forum in question has thousands of users online at any one time.

The forum you reference has mods.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God
ID: 0

I think.. this system at current works.

It is not perfect, nor has it even been or ever will be... but it works, and it empowers members of the community to increase retention to the forums. (Believe me, on some levels some will only come back because of the empowerment, the chance, yes, the chance to become a mod or even just the unique identity granted by the name colour).

Having a set of admins and mods that do not know the game and are paid creates certain... difficulties. For one.. they do not necessarily always know how far to go, who is right and who is wrong.. for places like the Galactic Colosseum they could easily be blagged and messed around with had they not the correct knowledge.

Also, paying them.. well.. I am with jason here.. why pay someone to do a job for you, when you can get people to do it for free? Yeah, may be a bit bumpy here and there.. but it adds character to the game and cut's cost's.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
generaloneill
Forum Regular
Alliance: lone wolf
Race: Tollan
ID: 6258

This place is far too strict though. btw the forum I had in mind was moneysavingexpert
Caladon
Forum Regular
Race: Chaos Marine
ID: 40983

generaloneill wrote:This place is far too strict though. btw the forum I had in mind was moneysavingexpert

I am unfamiliar with the forum you speak of, but does it promote aggressive competition in a game setting? I have always enjoyed the competition and satisfaction a well played game can give, and at some primordial level, I am certain it feeds a barbaric desire to "crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of the women." I would presume that many others SGW players play for similar gratification. Any game that does this well can attract mature players, and the immature (and uncivil).

It is my inference that it is because of the incivility of some that there is a need for rules. If all players were civil and mature, I doubt there would be a need for rules. In this way, it shadows RL methinks.
If I have traded with you, please give feedback:
http://herebegames.com/StarGateWarsNew/ ... 8&t=132155
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

as far as this forum goes, if it didnt have MODS the game would have died years ago...

maybe it did die years ago?!?! :?

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Caladon
Forum Regular
Race: Chaos Marine
ID: 40983

[KMA]Avenger wrote:as far as this forum goes, if it didnt have MODS the game would have died years ago...

maybe it did die years ago?!?! :?

:shock:

I see dead people.

Perhaps . . .
If I have traded with you, please give feedback:
http://herebegames.com/StarGateWarsNew/ ... 8&t=132155
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

generaloneill wrote:This place is far too strict though. btw the forum I had in mind was moneysavingexpert

Too strict? TOO STRICT!?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Cole
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Legendary Apophis, Apophis The Great, Legendary

Jack wrote:

Too strict? TOO STRICT!?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well. You could give a free sig for every rule breaking and rule breakers would ask...
Where's my avatar?

:lol:
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

You have to bear in mind that this is a gaming forum, and that gaming forums on the whole tend to promote immaturity and generally 'loutish' behaviour. I can't imagine that this is as much the case on a "moneysavingexpert" forum, which sounds to me to be rather professional and serious. If the vast majority of users there aren't horny angst-ridden teenagers who go on the internet to pretend to kill people, then I can see why it wouldn't need as many moderators. But on a forum like this one? No way hose.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
KnowLedge
Forum Elite
Race: Lord of all Daimon

simple answer= not necessary.

im not even gonna try to explain why.. its got a lot to do with the forum's topic and the people on the fourm
ask me anything, i shell provide you free knowledge

Untrained Units Sold : 1245 Million UU

Am I a Good trader??
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=114491
HellGirl is my **Filtered**!
Mister Sandman
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Planet of Tatooine
Race: Sand People

No, because im right. K thx Bye.
Beware - The Sleeper Has Awoken
Deaths_Rider
Forum Regular

and right there we have sandmans view on life
Mister Sandman wrote:No, because im right. K thx Bye.
Flow with it

Death is not the end but only the begining
GhostyGoo
Forum Addict
Alliance: 5PYM45T3R
Race: HE WHO KEEPS ME HERE
Location: ZOOMING THROUGH YOUR EGO AT A ZILLION MILES AN HOUR

Honours and Awards

Yes. Always. Eventually.

The clue is in the name - Moderator.

Debate or not, sometimes one must be succinct. This last statement will likely be taken as my conclusion but in fact it alludes more to the question than most will likely understand.

-Goo™ The "Succinctinator".
ImageImageImage
Spoiler
GhostyGoo wrote:Yesno.
the3rdlibra wrote:if it's a silly turnip head competition you want, i'm going to decline as i think i may have met my match in you vegetable brains.
Cersei Lannister wrote:Debasing? I am not the one drawing crazy pictures of force fielded stick figures.
Energise
Magical Monkeys & Grapefruit Migration:|:Hallowed are the Gò.Ó'ri™ **fixed**

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”