Swearing: contains small use of masking as a way to prove a

minisaiyan
Forum Addict
Race: DieHard
Alternate name(s): CJL
Hatebreeder
Aesthetics of Hate

Swearing: contains small use of masking as a way to prove a

If you do not like swearing, i advise you not to read my post, or not be offended by it.

table
candle
Retard
telephone

Okay, firstly, im sorry for the most intriguing start to a thread.

What was the about? well here we go. I would like to say that I think the way some people react to swearing is outrageous and confusing at best. If you look, you see that I can say the word bastard as much as i want. The reason: its in the dictionary? I dont get how society seems to be "scared" of certain words because they are grouped as swear words.

The meaning of bastard: A person without a father or born outside of marriage(not using dictionary so may be incorrect) often used to insult people.

The meaning of retard: someone who is mentally disabled(not using dictionary still) whenever used, it is used to insult nowadays.

The meaning of spam: a non sequitur...

The meaning of rose: someone who sexually pleasures oneself or others coz they can't get any :P used to insult others.

why is it that we can't use some of these words because they are swear words, but can use others despite them being just as or more offensive?
Q Man
blarney stone
ID: 0

Re: Swearing: contains small use of masking as a way to prove a

well, i never heard of clucker :?

but anyway, it mainly seems to be based on context.
and i don't really see cup being used in an non offensive way, its always come across as something bad, just look at shakespeare's King Lear, its considered bad then.
I grew up on the street. No, not the hood, the Sesame Street.
[/size]
ImageImage
admin wrote:[23:50] * ~adminHere loves Q_Man
Ashu
Michael Westen
Alliance: TAF
Race: Human
ID: 81691

Honours and Awards

Well...some might be considered insulting in different ways,like retard...
Last edited by Ashu on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bias Admin colour
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Clucker is just hilarious. I think I'd laugh rather than cry if someone called me that.. :lol:
minisaiyan
Forum Addict
Hatebreeder
Aesthetics of Hate

Q, thats my point, we are allowed to say bastard because it is deemed okay, despite it being highly offensive.

TBH, I would be more offended if somebody called me a umbrella than a clicker (7 letters starting with f) bottle " but hey. society works backwards rather a lot doesnt it

i didnt mean clucker, i was masking :P
Last edited by minisaiyan on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andell
Forum Elite
Alliance: HVE
Race: System Lord

Radiance wrote:Clucker is just hilarious. I think I'd laugh rather than cry if someone called me that.. :lol:

u damn clucker 8-[
*honestly never heard of it :O ^lol*
Sparta Prag-supporter: "Liverpool came here with 4000 men and ran, AIK Stockholm came with 500 and fought"
AIK-WE ARE EVERYWHERE!
Q Man
blarney stone

you're all a bunch of crazy cluckers!

Aesthetics of Hate wrote:Q, thats my point, we are allowed to say bastard because it is deemed okay, despite it being highly offensive.

TBH, I would be more offended if somebody called me a wellies than a Orange dashboard " but hey. society works backwards rather a lot doesnt it

i didnt mean clucker, i was masking :P

hmm, not sure about anyone else, but generally around where i live, curse words are almosted expected in most sentances now. especially books and the such, mostly apples though. its accepted here in ireland it seems, lol.
I grew up on the street. No, not the hood, the Sesame Street.
[/size]
ImageImage
admin wrote:[23:50] * ~adminHere loves Q_Man
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

Judge: Today we were here to hear the case of allowing vs not allowing the swearing thread. Prosecutor...the floor is yours.

Prosecutor: Your honour! It is commonly recognised that posting within the debate section for the sake of maturity is generally given a lot more lee-way and slack on the normal rules, but this is only on a case by case basis and is something that has been run past the admins. However despite Semper's baleful presence forever ready to fall like a ton of bricks when the line is crossed I feel it prudent to point out that an entire thread dedicated to abusing this slackness is a foot too far especially when light is shone on the current issues regarding topics of questionable nature being present within the spam temple.

With all that in mind your honour I move to have this topic locked and moved to the hidden dump for the purpose of forum rules until sufficient permission can be secured from the administration as to it being permitted to continue. Of course a notification should be sent to author as to the current ruling and a 12 hour waiting period should be given to allow patrons of the thread to read this judgement. I rest my case.

Judge: Defence do you have anything to add?

Defence: Your honour. We appeal to the simple notion of the debate sections overlord himself. Semper is a radical and a free thinker continually sticking it to the man... surely it would be nothing short of typical of him to contradict that which he is preaching elsewhere and leave this topic open?

On top of that I believe at worst this thread can continue to exist.. as the point of it's discussion can continue without the use of direct examples of swear words. I rest my case.

Judge: This seems a very clear cut decision to me. The thread is to be edited of swear words and is allowed to proceed under the pretence no swear words are to be used as the point of this discussion can clearly continue without any such examples. However.. it is only necessary to stress that should this rule be broken the thread will be confined to the flames for all eternity and that I will be pointing it out to the admins one way or another.

Proceed.. but remember.. i'll be watching.

If you have any objections, pm me... don't post here to argue the point. Ignore this warning and i'll just lock the topic..pursue it further and i'll warn you.

*claps hands*

~Semps
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
minisaiyan
Forum Addict
Hatebreeder
Aesthetics of Hate

I thank you semper for you leniance on this matter, many a hheavy handed mod would reject the threa and ban me for the masking :P

Rather than discussing what words i used to mask what *stares at some individuals* I would like to see what other people think on the use of swear words.

Has society become scared of swear words?
Why are some words allowed, and others not?

Also, i would like to divulge into hand gestures if i may your honour. *glances at the judge*.

The use of "the two fingers" actually goes back a long time to when bow and arrows were a new invention and war was rife simply because we could. Opposition forces would cut of the fingers of one another in order to prevent them being able to fire their weapon. Those still with their fingers, would stick them up accross the battlefield to taunt their opponent. Now in what way in modern day society should someone be offended by this?

I believe that people are becoming too sensitive to swearing.
ƒëmmë ƒatalë
Fragment o' Forum
Race: SL temptress
ID: 38112
Alternate name(s): cleo_catra
temptress
seraphim

bugger < now look up the real meaning :oops:
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won.
There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.
Think of it--always
Mahatma Gandhi
sixty five kills on Ascended ;)
The Forum Rules
Mods and their sections
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite
Race: Tollan

Actually the whole two fingers things & bows and the brits doing it to rub it into the french etc is all made up. thats not where it originated & it can be reasonabley proven that the french werent in the habit of cutting off fingers from captured troops of the time.

As for swearing, in a nutshell its not nice. People would prefer not to have to hear it and not to have to have such meanings thrown at them (either original meanings or those now ascribed to the words by modern times)

Besides theres plenty of ways to say the same thing without swearing (take a good look around your dictionary/thesaurus, you'll be amazed at some of the words) that people wont pick up on so much, if they even understand you ;)
The river tells no lies, yet standing at its shores the dishonest man still hears them

If you dont like what I post, then tough. Either dont read it or dont bother replying to it.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

Kit-Fox wrote:[...]People would prefer not to have to hear it and not to have to have such meanings thrown at them (either original meanings or those now ascribed to the words by modern times)

Besides theres plenty of ways to say the same thing [...]

A pretty hypocritical stance to take, no? "Don't cuss at me because I don't like the meaning, but you can say the exact samething else-wise."
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
andell
Forum Elite
Alliance: HVE
Race: System Lord

i just find this whole thing stupid i mean swearing is something everyone do. and masking is just a gentle way to saying it if u ask me. and that some words are masking and some aren't that's just stupid. i mean got warned for one! letter.... we need to get a fair system that not effected by if the mod is in a bad mood or are friends with the one who deserves the warning..
Sparta Prag-supporter: "Liverpool came here with 4000 men and ran, AIK Stockholm came with 500 and fought"
AIK-WE ARE EVERYWHERE!
Ashu
Michael Westen
Alliance: TAF
Race: Human
ID: 81691

Honours and Awards

Normally I don't use retard or anything like that,there's no reason why i should use less fortunate people in life to insult and idiot...
Bias Admin colour
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Aesthetics of Hate wrote:The use of "the two fingers" actually goes back a long time to when bow and arrows were a new invention and war was rife simply because we could. Opposition forces would cut of the fingers of one another in order to prevent them being able to fire their weapon. Those still with their fingers, would stick them up accross the battlefield to taunt their opponent. Now in what way in modern day society should someone be offended by this?

Kit-Fox wrote:Actually the whole two fingers things & bows and the brits doing it to rub it into the french etc is all made up. thats not where it originated & it can be reasonabley proven that the french werent in the habit of cutting off fingers from captured troops of the time.

I'm pretty sure the 100-Year War is predated by the time AoH describes.. I mean, quoting Wikipedia:
Stone points which have been identified as arrowheads were being used in Africa by about 60,000 years ago.

So let's say the first actual battles using groups of bows and arrows was prevalent around Babylon and Egypt's expansionist stages. Given the Egyptian tendency to cut off body parts, I think it's a pretty sound thought.

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”