Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: 2012- End of the world

Hitchkok wrote:
Juliette wrote:
Mister Sandman wrote:its 2050 get it right!
Pessimist. The world isn't going to end for another few billion years.
Now humanity.. that's a different story. But our fate is not the fate of the planet.
not unless we decide to destroy it out of pure spite.
which is a pretty realistic scenario
Oh, I won't deny that.. but I don't believe we have the technology. Kill almost all life on it, absolutely.. but destroy the planet?! :shock: Ha, that would be something I'd want to see.
The Earth is built to last. It is a 4,550,000,000-year-old, 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iron. It has taken more devastating asteroid hits in its lifetime than you've had hot dinners, and lo, it still orbits merrily.

On that note.. brilliant page: http://qntm.org/destroy ( :lol: )
Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
ID: 0

Juliette wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:
Juliette wrote:
Mister Sandman wrote:its 2050 get it right!
Pessimist. The world isn't going to end for another few billion years.
Now humanity.. that's a different story. But our fate is not the fate of the planet.
not unless we decide to destroy it out of pure spite.
which is a pretty realistic scenario
Oh, I won't deny that.. but I don't believe we have the technology. Kill almost all life on it, absolutely.. but destroy the planet?! :shock: Ha, that would be something I'd want to see.
The Earth is built to last. It is a 4,550,000,000-year-old, 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iron. It has taken more devastating asteroid hits in its lifetime than you've had hot dinners, and lo, it still orbits merrily.

On that note.. brilliant page: http://qntm.org/destroy ( :lol: )

well, well. seems like i have a new challenge.
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rights
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo
Mister Sandman
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Planet of Tatooine
Race: Sand People

What is the meaning of the world?

The earth =/= world necessarily.

The world can refer to human race. Things living on earth. Ect...

Is it not humanity that gives the 'world' definition.

So, it is the matter of definition.
Beware - The Sleeper Has Awoken
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

for the 7 who voted the end is nigh, here, you lot can read all about it in the evening standard...i'm taking the owner of those legs home :-D

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1072/878 ... 489df8.jpg

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate

Mister Sandman wrote:What is the meaning of the world?

The earth =/= world necessarily.

The world can refer to human race. Things living on earth. Ect...

Is it not humanity that gives the 'world' definition.

So, it is the matter of definition.

see, here's the thing about definitions:
"definition" in itself, is a matter of definition.
does a definition create reality (as formelists might say) or does it merely depict it (as old Plato would have us think)?

EDIT: and to illustrate the problem, let's refer to that lovely "Geocide" article fair Julliete has been graciuos enough to bring to our attention.
thetalented writer states: "Naturally, these methods (the latter of which is by far the most feasible method listed in this document) will not be considered to count - redefining something doesn't make it go away.
later, the destruction of the planet via a creation of a black hole is commented not to ba a valid method because: "Hmm. The problem is, the microscopic black hole would still be in hydrostatic equilibrium, so it would still qualify as a planet according to the IAU!"

well, which is it? is earth a planet because it fits the definition (and by the way, as clearly explained in the article, it doesn't), or is it a planet, and the definitions just need to match?
what would Plato say? and what would Euclid?
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rights
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo
Mister Sandman
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Planet of Tatooine
Race: Sand People

Definitions merely depict it reality. However, reality is the 'definition' we use. Whether it be defined or not.

Edit: The reality being human race exists..

So in the case, 'The end of the world ' refers to the extinction of the human race.

It must mean that, because, it is the end, when we, the human race, ceases to exist. i.e There would be no one around and thus, the world for the human race, as ended.

If we nuke everything, and nothing remains alive, well, that is also the end of the world, it does not matter whether the earth is still intact, for it is living things, rather, humanity that provides the 'meaning', the 'definition' to theword 'world'.

Without humanity, the earth would be just a rock, with some living things perhaps.

It would only be Matter, an object in space, just like other planets.
Beware - The Sleeper Has Awoken
~nyx~
Forum Expert
Alternate name(s): CleoCatra, Temptress, Femme Fatale, Nyx, Cleo

going out on a limb, but I'd say no. Unless we are all living a LOST final :smt043
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true;
the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
― Søren Kierkegaard

No one is more hated, than they that speak the truth ~Plato
SGW player since 11 Oct 2005 memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5707
Wolverine_nl
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: MidNight
Race: Ancient
ID: 68833

You wouldn't actually know it, but....we live in purgatory now...;)

Interesting read is about time-travel, (probably) only possible near a strong gravitational force (like a black hole) and that's only slowing down time for the ones near it, so predicting the future is (probably) impossible, but you never know that certain patterns in nature are signs (going all aluminium-hat here) :smt110

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”