2012- End of the world

Moderator: Misc Mods

Post Reply

Is the world going to end in 2012?

Yes
9
21%
no
33
79%
 
Total votes: 42

Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:25 am
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Hitchkok » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:39 am

[KMA]Avenger wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:i'm offering $50 right now, to anyone willing to sign off all of his earthly belongings to me - effective june 2013.
anyone writing 2012 is the end of the world. put your money where your keyboard is.




you are pathetic...


whoops, did i say that out-loud?!?! :oops: :oops:


Wow, i think that's probably the most logically coherent argument you've spewed yet.
hey, you'll might even make it to a 7 year old mental capacity yet!
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
Image
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rightsShow
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo

User avatar
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Posts: 5630
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:07 am
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by [KMA]Avenger » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:46 am

Kit-Fox wrote:
And todays astronomers arent 're-discovering' anything, they are infact proving or disproving something which is already known. Again something that should be taught at primary schools - The Scientific Process.



in a sense there are many things we are rediscovering, things our ancient forefathers were very much aware of. for a few hundred years it was believed the earth was the centre of the universe and the sun revolved around the earth, then it was believed the sun was the centre of the universe, all the while the earth was flat. the ancients knew not only that the world was round, but they also knew the size of the world, they also knew the layout of the land underneath the ice of Antarctica, something not discovered till the 50's. that's just a couple of examples of rediscovery.


as far as mainstream recorded history goes, its a crock of crap, everything we are taught at school about the historical record is wrong, including religion from a historical POV...



have i gone off topic? :?


@Hitch, i'll just stick with my original thought 8)
Image




Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke

Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:25 am
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Hitchkok » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:30 am

Solus wrote:and in general, wiki isnt reliable due mainly to the fact that it is user editable. same with urbandictionary, "E.D." and other pseudo encyclopedia sites.

~soul

let's clear this one once and for all.
solus is right, EXCEPT:
Wikipedia usually brings reference to other, more reputable sites.
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
Image
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rightsShow
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo

Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:25 am
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Hitchkok » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:40 am

buck wrote:
Diamond Dust wrote:
buck wrote:They wouldnt have had the capacity to understand time is infinate and nor would they have the number skillz!


Sorry Buck, but what a ridiculous thing to say/assume.


Id love to hear your arguement for the post industrial, Post non cannibal dieted, hell, post still seeing the sun as some sort of deity, Civilisations maths being comprehenseable to that of our own or even anywhere near, our standard.

Go on, Im waiting!

this is what we call a "Genetics fallacy", where facts regarding the genesis of an argument, which are not relevent to the argument itself are used to discredit the argument.
in this case, the facts are the bolded part, the argument is the Mayan calender and math, and the genesis is the Mayan.
in simple words, everything above might be true, but bears no relevence.
just like not having a way to rebutt someone's argument, and calling him "Ugly" instead.



sorry KMA, no jab at you here.
i know you've been looking for it.
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
Image
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rightsShow
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo

User avatar
Thriller
Forum Addict
Posts: 2609
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm
Alliance: Π Allegiance
Race: Replimecator
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Thriller » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:27 am

Hitchkok wrote:just like not having a way to rebutt someone's argument, and calling him "Ugly" instead.

.


That's called an ad hominem,

I think you knew that, so i don't know why you are using it as an example for a completely different logical fallacy.

Whatever... i like your "fools wager" idea, Why don't we make a website and make some real money from that idea.
Image
SpoilerShow
Universe wrote:You don't have a case, as Lord Thriller clearly explained.
MajorLeeHurts wrote:^ stole the car and my Booze and my heart * sobs*
Jack wrote: Just wanna be more like you, Master Thriller. :-D

Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:25 am
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Hitchkok » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:07 am

Thriller wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:just like not having a way to rebutt someone's argument, and calling him "Ugly" instead.

.


That's called an ad hominem,

I think you knew that, so i don't know why you are using it as an example for a completely different logical fallacy.

Whatever... i like your "fools wager" idea, Why don't we make a website and make some real money from that idea.

actually, an Ad hominem is a kind of a genetic fallacy.
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
Image
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rightsShow
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo

User avatar
Thriller
Forum Addict
Posts: 2609
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm
Alliance: Π Allegiance
Race: Replimecator
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Thriller » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:20 am

Hitchkok wrote:
Thriller wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:just like not having a way to rebutt someone's argument, and calling him "Ugly" instead.

.


That's called an ad hominem,

I think you knew that, so i don't know why you are using it as an example for a completely different logical fallacy.

Whatever... i like your "fools wager" idea, Why don't we make a website and make some real money from that idea.

ctually, an Ad hominem is a kind of a genetic fallacy.


not really because genetic fallacy involves "tense"; the past kind.

If i said your argument was invalid because your mother was a **Filtered**. You could make the argument is was both but i dont think genetic fallacy is a broader category that incompases as hominems.

Its trivial anyway; and why i hate formal logic.
Image
SpoilerShow
Universe wrote:You don't have a case, as Lord Thriller clearly explained.
MajorLeeHurts wrote:^ stole the car and my Booze and my heart * sobs*
Jack wrote: Just wanna be more like you, Master Thriller. :-D

Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:25 am
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Hitchkok » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:32 am

Thriller wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:
Thriller wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:just like not having a way to rebutt someone's argument, and calling him "Ugly" instead.

.


That's called an ad hominem,

I think you knew that, so i don't know why you are using it as an example for a completely different logical fallacy.

Whatever... i like your "fools wager" idea, Why don't we make a website and make some real money from that idea.

ctually, an Ad hominem is a kind of a genetic fallacy.


not really because genetic fallacy involves "tense"; the past kind.

If i said your argument was invalid because your mother was a **Filtered**. You could make the argument is was both but i dont think genetic fallacy is a broader category that incompases as hominems.

Its trivial anyway; and why i hate formal logic.

no, no no no.
the genesis is the genesis of the argument.
saying my argument is invalid because of my mother still falls under the Ad hominem sub-category.
generally, any argument that claims an argument isn't valid because of it's origins (be it a person, a culture, a book etc.) without giving a relevent rebuttle as to the assumptions or the deductive process, is a genetic fallacy
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
Image
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rightsShow
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo

User avatar
Thriller
Forum Addict
Posts: 2609
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm
Alliance: Π Allegiance
Race: Replimecator
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Thriller » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:38 am

Hitchkok wrote:
Thriller wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:
Thriller wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:just like not having a way to rebutt someone's argument, and calling him "Ugly" instead.

.


That's called an ad hominem,

I think you knew that, so i don't know why you are using it as an example for a completely different logical fallacy.

Whatever... i like your "fools wager" idea, Why don't we make a website and make some real money from that idea.

ctually, an Ad hominem is a kind of a genetic fallacy.


not really because genetic fallacy involves "tense"; the past kind.

If i said your argument was invalid because your mother was a **Filtered**. You could make the argument is was both but i dont think genetic fallacy is a broader category that incompases as hominems.

Its trivial anyway; and why i hate formal logic.

no, no no no.
the genesis is the genesis of the argument.
saying my argument is invalid because of my mother still falls under the Ad hominem sub-category.
generally, any argument that claims an argument isn't valid because of it's origins (be it a person, a culture, a book etc.) without giving a relevent rebuttle as to the assumptions or the deductive process, is a genetic fallacy


that still dowsn't answer the question as to why one encompasses the other. I think they are sperate logical errors of different criteria that can be used in concert.

"Your argument is dumb because your an idiot"
I'm not saying your premise was idiotic, or based on idiotic ideas. I'm just calling the person an idiot.

Does the person count as an origin all the time?

genetic fallacy adresses the premise and evidence presented. I beleive.
Image
SpoilerShow
Universe wrote:You don't have a case, as Lord Thriller clearly explained.
MajorLeeHurts wrote:^ stole the car and my Booze and my heart * sobs*
Jack wrote: Just wanna be more like you, Master Thriller. :-D

Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:25 am
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Hitchkok » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:55 am

Thriller wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:
Thriller wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:
Thriller wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:just like not having a way to rebutt someone's argument, and calling him "Ugly" instead.

.


That's called an ad hominem,

I think you knew that, so i don't know why you are using it as an example for a completely different logical fallacy.

Whatever... i like your "fools wager" idea, Why don't we make a website and make some real money from that idea.

ctually, an Ad hominem is a kind of a genetic fallacy.


not really because genetic fallacy involves "tense"; the past kind.

If i said your argument was invalid because your mother was a **Filtered**. You could make the argument is was both but i dont think genetic fallacy is a broader category that incompases as hominems.

Its trivial anyway; and why i hate formal logic.

no, no no no.
the genesis is the genesis of the argument.
saying my argument is invalid because of my mother still falls under the Ad hominem sub-category.
generally, any argument that claims an argument isn't valid because of it's origins (be it a person, a culture, a book etc.) without giving a relevent rebuttle as to the assumptions or the deductive process, is a genetic fallacy


that still dowsn't answer the question as to why one encompasses the other. I think they are sperate logical errors of different criteria that can be used in concert.

"Your argument is dumb because your an idiot"
I'm not saying your premise was idiotic, or based on idiotic ideas. I'm just calling the person an idiot.

Does the person count as an origin all the time?

genetic fallacy adresses the premise and evidence presented. I beleive.

it doesn't have to. it actually rarely does. it is the claim that the origin (or genesis) of an argument has a relevence as to its validity. as a person making an argument is the origin of the argument, claiming an argument to be wrong solely based on the person making it, is a genetic fallacy. specifically, an Ad hominem.
the person making the argument always counts as an origin, but there may be other origins. i can repeat an argument while citing a reference. you can then choose to attack either me or the reference. as long as you do one or the other (or both) without giving a relevent rebuttle as to either the premise(s) or the deductive procces, you're commiting a genetic fallacy

here's what this says:
the "genetic fallacy," in which the origin or the cause of a proposition is taken to have some bearing on its truth. It doesn't. The fallacy can take two common forms that are of interest: an ad hominem ("against the man") argument holds something to be false because of where it comes from; and an argument "from authority" (ab auctoritate) holds something to be true because of where it comes from.
(and, what fallacy have i commited here?)
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
Image
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rightsShow
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo

User avatar
Thriller
Forum Addict
Posts: 2609
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm
Alliance: Π Allegiance
Race: Replimecator
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Thriller » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:01 pm

I conceed then hitch, you are correct.
Image
SpoilerShow
Universe wrote:You don't have a case, as Lord Thriller clearly explained.
MajorLeeHurts wrote:^ stole the car and my Booze and my heart * sobs*
Jack wrote: Just wanna be more like you, Master Thriller. :-D

Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:25 am
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Hitchkok » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:03 pm

Thriller wrote:I conceed then hitch, you are correct.


you see. if only people could have realised this more often...
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
Image
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rightsShow
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo

User avatar
Thriller
Forum Addict
Posts: 2609
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm
Alliance: Π Allegiance
Race: Replimecator
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Thriller » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:05 pm

Hitchkok wrote:
Thriller wrote:I conceed then hitch, you are correct.


you see. if only people could have realised this more often...


Except when your wrong of course,

also..... i'm still wiating for your reply to the israel/palestine thread.....
Image
SpoilerShow
Universe wrote:You don't have a case, as Lord Thriller clearly explained.
MajorLeeHurts wrote:^ stole the car and my Booze and my heart * sobs*
Jack wrote: Just wanna be more like you, Master Thriller. :-D

Hitchkok
Forum Intermediate
Posts: 814
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:25 am
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Hitchkok » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Thriller wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:
Thriller wrote:I conceed then hitch, you are correct.


you see. if only people could have realised this more often...


Except when your wrong of course,

also..... i'm still wiating for your reply to the israel/palestine thread.....

oh, that?
well, i haven't given up on that thread per-se, i've just given up on the participants.
i've went through a short George III routine.
the local trees proved to be a somewhat more shrewd bunch than you lot (admittedly, the Phoenix dactylifera tended to be somewhat long winded, and the Ficus carica tended to be simplistic, but the Olea europaea tended to have solid reasoning. and anyway, all three's arguments were, well, deeply rooted in reality). they actually even maneged to come up with some interesting arguments (you know, the kind with facts as premises and at least some logic behind them).
oh, i have to go. it seems the Punica granatum (which is technically a shrub, but we don't practice ordericism around here) thought up some new ideas.
talk to you later.
there is no useless knowledge, there is only knowledge we don't know how to use
math is the art of stating the obvious
Image
click the banner.
yay, i have bragging rightsShow
teal'c wrote:Jesus maybe Hitch should be ombudsman he seems to be the only one with brains around here
GhostyGoo wrote:Capitalism is responsible for the death of humanity through a complete and utter destruction of ethical conduct, you DO know this, right?
Thanks to capitalism, when your doctor tells you you require a kidney transplant to survive, you no longer can be certain if you actually need a kidney transplant or your doctor simply needs a new speedboat. Nice.

-Goo

User avatar
Thriller
Forum Addict
Posts: 2609
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:33 pm
Alliance: Π Allegiance
Race: Replimecator
ID: 0

Re: 2012- End of the world

Post by Thriller » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Hitchkok wrote:
Thriller wrote:
Hitchkok wrote:
Thriller wrote:I conceed then hitch, you are correct.


you see. if only people could have realised this more often...


Except when your wrong of course,

also..... i'm still wiating for your reply to the israel/palestine thread.....

oh, that?
well, i haven't given up on that thread per-se, i've just given up on the participants.
i've went through a short George III routine.
the local trees proved to be a somewhat more shrewd bunch than you lot (admittedly, the Phoenix dactylifera tended to be somewhat long winded, and the Ficus carica tended to be simplistic, but the Olea europaea tended to have solid reasoning. and anyway, all three's arguments were, well, deeply rooted in reality). they actually even maneged to come up with some interesting arguments (you know, the kind with facts as premises and at least some logic behind them).
oh, i have to go. it seems the Punica granatum (which is technically a shrub, but we don't practice ordericism around here) thought up some new ideas.
talk to you later.



Translation: Thriller wins..
Image
SpoilerShow
Universe wrote:You don't have a case, as Lord Thriller clearly explained.
MajorLeeHurts wrote:^ stole the car and my Booze and my heart * sobs*
Jack wrote: Just wanna be more like you, Master Thriller. :-D

Post Reply

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”