Oregon: repressive state?

Brdavs
Forum Elder
Alliance: The Legion
ID: 69113

Re: Oregon: repressive state?

You gotta love america where this is excessive yet hot coffee suits netting millions aren't.
ImageImage For Rome!
Calibretto wrote: WIR SOLLEN *insert* AUSRADIEREN

Inserted part could be you!
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Brdavs wrote:You gotta love america where this is excessive yet hot coffee suits netting millions aren't.
Of course that is equally ridiculous. The entire principle of individuals suing others is. "Citizen X vs Citizen/Corporation/Organisation Y" is a ludicrous perversion of justice.

If a law is broken, report it to the police. The police will investigate, the prosecutor might prosecute, "State vs.. Citizen/Corporation/Organisation Y". That is how justice works in the civilized world, none of this "Here, let me sue you".

But what should you expect from a country stolen from the Empire by bloody money-grubbing lawyers. Have to create a permanent market in which you can continue to make money being all lawyery.
Brdavs
Forum Elder
Alliance: The Legion
ID: 69113

Hold up there, you'd nuke the entirety of tort/civil law lol?

Look, all human relations have to be regulated by some degree. Every action you take has to reflect a right and be limited by rights of others. You can't leave it to anarchy and you can't pile it all up on the state, it's neither fiesable nor conceptually sound. The state can't protect every individuals rights, but it can give him tools to seek protection i.e. civil disputes.

Problem isn't the ability of individuals to sue others/companies it's the nonsensical jury by peers system that turns the proceedings into a circus. Inevitable really since peers of dumb folks are also dumb. This is why you don't have so many ludicrous excesses in say continental law where a professional judge(s) render(s) the verdict.

Which isn't to say the bar wouldn't have been found liable in this case, they probably would based on anti discriminatory rules, and they imho should be...
ImageImage For Rome!
Calibretto wrote: WIR SOLLEN *insert* AUSRADIEREN

Inserted part could be you!
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Alright, I see the error of my ways. Throwing out civil law is indeed a bit rash.
Removing the jury system seems like a rather titanic task too though. :P

Could make it so judges can more easily disregard juries, maybe? Then again, I suppose this would be similarly received as the appeal to hand in your guns. :? At least the way it was portrayed in EU media. ;)

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”