If you are new to the game and the forum, this concerns you.

For newcomers to ask questions to the other users... this section will usually answer most questions... requesting resources (naq/UUs/ATs) is not to be done here...
Flavar
Forum Elite
ID: 0

yes a mod coudl do that but no noob reads stickies...
Writing as a mod. But i am currently testing colors. So if you want to claim one as yours or its not the best to read give me a call please :-)
The Xeno
n00b prophet

I'm bumping this again...
And in addition, possibly to the offense of the all-knowning mods of this forum... We need to unlock Flavars Sab topic for more testing.

While it remained unlocked and at the top of the page it served as a good omen/ward. I think we only had a sinlge n00b spam post that whole day.
Now that it has been locked for a bit, we have had a resurgance of pre-answered questions.

I petition that it be reopened if only for a day or two, and a poll taken to asses it's benificial/detrimental effects, in order to better understand and deter spam. I want to know if that sinle spam post was just a fluke, or if the threat really works.
I am also out of covert turns, and my spies need a break :roll:
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One
ID: 4266

Honours and Awards

The Xeno wrote:I'm bumping this again...
And in addition, possibly to the offense of the all-knowning mods of this forum... We need to unlock Flavars Sab topic for more testing.

While it remained unlocked and at the top of the page it served as a good omen/ward. I think we only had a sinlge n00b spam post that whole day.
Now that it has been locked for a bit, we have had a resurgance of pre-answered questions.

I petition that it be reopened if only for a day or two, and a poll taken to asses it's benificial/detrimental effects, in order to better understand and deter spam. I want to know if that sinle spam post was just a fluke, or if the threat really works.
I am also out of covert turns, and my spies need a break :roll:

well, you could just leave ONE topic warning newbies to search for an answer to a question thats already been asked. cause, this one is doing that also.

-.-Psi Kiya Trist-.-
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...
The Xeno
n00b prophet

I suppose you are correct...The Diety will just have to edit the post to make it a bit more threatening :D
There is something about a post labled, Read this or be Sabbed, that atracts n00bs (I know it was the first topic I went to that day..) :roll:

And yes this is another bump.
The Deity
Forum Regular
Alliance: Ancient Brethren
Race: Ancient
ID: 23494
Location: Alas, Now I'm A Little Further Away From The Sun, But I'm Closer To The Warmth

Hahaha, new-comers do indeed seem to be gluttons for punishment. Alas, I'm not the threatening type, not to these grasshoppers at least. Scammers, that's another story. If people are genuinely interested in finding an answer to their question then I have no qualms but it'd make it easier for us and those who are yet to ask questions, if they had a bit of a look through the forums first.
The Xeno
n00b prophet

\:D/ :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :-s :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: *Bump*
The Xeno
n00b prophet

*bump*

Another Night, another bump...
Todays honorable mentions go to Kirklandie and The Diety. :P
These rare awards are given out by myself and all procedes go into the production of SPAM.

*/bump*
The Xeno
n00b prophet

I am bumping this due to the sudden rise in n00b spam, that appears to be centered on the 'New to the Cosmos' bit and inactive acounts.... There are at least four such posts, realating in one way or another, and I encourage n00bs to check out this:
http://www.stargatewars.com/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=13255
As it contains the most info on the problem.
The Xeno
n00b prophet

You've been Bump'd!
The new hit... NVM it isn't funny.

Again this is a Bump. Please have a nice day watch out for spam.
The Xeno
n00b prophet

And it's another bump.
In the forum, in the evning, all alone.
Did you hear it :shock:
I think it's drawing nearer....
Run n00bs! run and hide!

Bump.
The Xeno
n00b prophet

OMG, it's dead!...:smt022

No it isn't! Clear!

*electric zapping noises*

It breathes!

Bump

How to write and ‘hi I’m new’ post without getting sabed, mocked, or ridiculed. (Not true for all cases, certain limitations may aply) :wink:

First: be polite, and run your text through a spell checker before you post. You need not do this all the time, but ATM you are looking to make a good first impression.

Second: choose a topic that is not based on facts but opinions. I.e. don’t ask about what UU are or do. Instead ask about something abstract such as how long it will take before you are attacked.

Third: do a brief search at least four pages deep in the newbie help, with your eyes looking to make sure someone hasn’t already posted.
Again, you won’t need to do this all the time, but we are looking for first impressions.

Fourth: check the front pages in both general sections, and if you want to be thorough dig down two or three pages. Again to make sure the Question you are about to ask hasn’t been answered.

Fifth: Avoid arguments you are a bug and there are those that like to squash.

Sixth: while avoiding arguments don’t be completely ‘gut-me-I’m-a-n00b’ (A mistake I made), while you ARE a n00b at some point you wont be and you need to be able to keep a constant personality throughout your posting and gaming career. You don’t want that personality to be a pushover.

Seventh: Keep the language simple, your not a trial lawyer nor a hillbilly, find a middle ground.

Eight: if you can, try and read as much of the general sections as possible this will answer many n00bish questions that will get you laughed at, and will also help you get a feel of the game and the forum personalities. This has many practical resonances i.e.
You needn’t commit suicide just cause a forum joker laughed at you, but you might want to consider it if you tick off the GA.

Nine: You are a n00b, and despite the threats, you aren’t likely to get sabbed based on your question.
As long as you are polite, explain you searched, etc. etc. etc. you physical account should be safe. (You may still be considered an idiot, but time will fix that).

Ten: Make sure you post in the newbie help section, and NO WHERE ELSE… don’t post multiple topics about the same thing… That and topic resurrection are not taken lightly.

More general guidelines: Read the stickies and be patient. If you have a commander ask him before you post. (My officers have had some of THE most asinine questions…)
The Xeno
n00b prophet

This is one topic whose dead remains are Inviolable.
The carcass secrets sweat myrh and the joyus songs of happy n00bs suround it.
Let it again be brought out into the light.

Introduction

PrOdiGy wrote:A nice and useful post for newbies but it would be better and much easier to read with some paragraphs

Can someone tell me more about "easier"? I'm quite new in this.
The Xeno
n00b prophet

?
What do you mean?
If I translate your q. litteraly...
Instead of this

'ow, those of us that have been playing for a while realise that some aspects of the game can be a little confusing at first and your first instinct is to sign up to the forums and post a new topic concerning your question. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE wait just a second before you do.
.......It may not be immediately apparent but pretty much everyone who is currently playing started out along the same road that you are now travelling. We know the frustration that comes from not knowing the answer to a burning question and as a result, many have probably already thought of, asked and posted your current question. '

It would look like this:

'ow, those of us that have been playing for a while realise that some aspects of the game can be a little confusing at first and your first instinct is to sign up to the forums and post a new topic concerning your question. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE wait just a second before you do.

.......It may not be immediately apparent but pretty much everyone who is currently playing started out along the same road that you are now travelling. We know the frustration that comes from not knowing the answer to a burning question and as a result, many have probably already thought of, asked and posted your current question.'

Can you clarify your question guest?
The Deity
Forum Regular
Alliance: Ancient Brethren
Race: Ancient
ID: 23494
Location: Alas, Now I'm A Little Further Away From The Sun, But I'm Closer To The Warmth

Time for another bump methinks.

Return to “Newbie/ FAQ Forum”