The Ablest Man
Alliance: Multiverse
Race: Clockwork Admin
ID: 1940718

Re: New era?

Its coming, don't worry :)
Admin for all the Forum things...
Click Me for forum rules.
Click Me for Game admin contact details.
Ace1102
Forum Irregular
Race: Aussie
ID: 0

So do we just carry on with 2 Lieutenants or...? That was never fixed from last era :-k
Mental
Forum Elite
Alliance: [ THE DARK DOMINIUM™]
Race: ~Da Bait~
ID: 55247
Alternate name(s): Melting Pot of Friendship.

Ace1102 wrote:So do we just carry on with 2 Lieutenants or...? That was never fixed from last era :-k
The new era means a total reset of the server, We shall have a new objective all that remains are our accounts for a fresh round.
Spoiler
[14:42:10] The Anti Christ: Now I know what harch feels like
[20:15:16] Duderanch: Ben filled me up :P
[14:14] CC Leader: harriet harmon is a freak in bed
[01:42:08] The Anti Christ: Mental is my hero, I wish I was more like him
Ace1102
Forum Irregular

Yeah I get that, but you missed my point.
The premise of the last era was that there could be only 1 lieutenant, due to game bugs at one point we had 3, one was descended to the previous level as expected, and the other was left until the end of the era, where that account ranked higher then it would have if it was 1 ascension level lower.

Also if you read the premise of last era, the 1 lieutenant was supposed to get a big role in a future era, so what happens now that we have 2 and a messed up historical record (quantum legends).
Last edited by Ace1102 on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
D3ath
Forum Expert
ID: 48966

nothing as noone gives a **Filtered** about it except u :D
ImageImage
Spoiler
[12:38:58] Scott - Harch DDE: :( I get raided
[12:39:05] Scott - Harch DDE: When raiding I'm noob
Ace1102
Forum Irregular

Actually I don't really care as the result would not affect me or my ranking at all, or at most 1 place.
The point is, how could anyone possibly think that people will 'donate' to fund a game that is often fundamentally broken and seemingly abandoned by those with the power to affect changes.

The complete lack of any admin response is proof of that in itself.

I was only stopping by to see if the new era had started yet :smt047
Clockwork
The Ablest Man

The first person to reach lieutenant is the only one that counts from the era point of view. The fact that two others managed to get to that rank because of a bug is meaningless for the subsequent eras.

Quantum suffers from the problem of economy of scale, it takes a reasonable amount of development work to implement each new era, and only a very small player base ever benefits from that development. Where development and code improvement on main benefits a much larger percentage of the playerbase, so it gets the lions share of the limited amount of development time available.

The new quantum era is coming, soon(tm).
Ace1102
Forum Irregular

Clockwork wrote: Quantum suffers from the problem of economy of scale, it takes a reasonable amount of development work to implement each new era, and only a very small player base ever benefits from that development. Where development and code improvement on main benefits a much larger percentage of the playerbase, so it gets the lions share of the limited amount of development time available.
Understandable, such a shame, quantum is my favourite incarnation of gatewars :smt047
Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Lone wolf
Race: Slovenian
ID: 82089

Ace1102 wrote:Actually I don't really care as the result would not affect me or my ranking at all, or at most 1 place.
The point is, how could anyone possibly think that people will 'donate' to fund a game that is often fundamentally broken and seemingly abandoned by those with the power to affect changes.

After the big man J handed the game over to Haz, it went downhill - and fast. The decisions were made, actions were taken, words were said which, as you'll remember, moved many of us old timers to quit once and for all. A lot of donations were made by said players as well, I remember selling naq on main for USSs on Q. I know many of us did that. I know a lot of people donated their own money - to a point where USS limits had to be imposed (8 per era, only 1 per week). The limits were implemented a long, long time ago (12ag and HE were the ones who bought like 5 USSs in a matter of days and planned to buy many more), but the 8 USS limit per era was still a limiting factor for some players. It didn't took long that we realized it's not worth it - nor supporting nor playing or being a game cop - if the new administration allows cheaters to play and don't do anything because of friendship ties.
With money not flowing in and development costing time/money, I'm not surprised new eras take weeks or months to start and have that many bugs, despite a dev server.. Oh well..

~Jack
Haz wrote:It took a bit of time, but the investigation has now been completed.
S1eepy will be banned for scripting, for the remainder of this era.
Name: S1eepy [ TheCheekyChickens ]
{Banned}
2012 Awards awarded to me:
Spoiler
Affirmation
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: The Magnificents
Race: Ancient
ID: 42530
Alternate name(s): Affy 'Bad Affy' or just Crazy Old Man Affy

Neimenljivi wrote:
Ace1102 wrote:Actually I don't really care as the result would not affect me or my ranking at all, or at most 1 place.

After the big man J handed the game over to Haz, it went downhill - and fast. The decisions were made, actions were taken, words were said which, as you'll remember, moved many of us old timers to quit once and for all. A lot of donations were made by said players as well, I remember selling naq on main for USSs on Q. I know many of us did that. I know a lot of people donated their own money - to a point where USS limits had to be imposed (8 per era, only 1 per week). The limits were implemented a long, long time ago (12ag and HE were the ones who bought like 5 USSs in a matter of days and planned to buy many more), but the 8 USS limit per era was still a limiting factor for some players. It didn't took long that we realized it's not worth it - nor supporting nor playing or being a game cop - if the new administration allows cheaters to play and don't do anything because of friendship ties.
With money not flowing in and development costing time/money, I'm not surprised new eras take weeks or months to start and have that many bugs, despite a dev server.. Oh well..

~Jack
Amazingly well put, and I mean that in a respectful way as a long time player. I think you should come back and play just to prove a point... (Affy says with great hope??) :smt100

The game lost the most important thing which is its heart, which is the longtime legendary players, which, and I am also guilty of same, we have self-policed ourselves into mediocrity. In our attempt to make the game great we tried to make it too fair and without naughtiness, and in some way we took all the explosive and perilous spontaneity out of the game. It was after all, just a constantly changing 90 day whirlwind and we tried to control the uncontrollable. I guess it was the complete lack of control that made it so fun to us all? :smt104

I just keep coming back, I can not help myself, but that is cause I am pathetic.

'Bad Affy' sez... "Well, I do not have to insult myself if I am going to keep belittling myself? Affy has taken the fun out of being me also.." :smt017
What Happened to my Siggy????

Damn it Bernie!!

Affy? or 'Bad Affy'...:
Spoiler
What in the H E double LL happened to the Siggy's???

Affirmation wrote:[spoiler]
Neimenljivi wrote:

~Jack
[/spoiler]

Amazingly well put, and I mean that in a respectful way as a long time player. I think you should come back and play just to prove a point... (Affy says with great hope??) :smt100

The game lost the most important thing which is its heart, which is the longtime legendary players, which, and I am also guilty of same, we have self-policed ourselves into mediocrity. In our attempt to make the game great we tried to make it too fair and without naughtiness, and in some way we took all the explosive and perilous spontaneity out of the game. It was after all, just a constantly changing 90 day whirlwind and we tried to control the uncontrollable. I guess it was the complete lack of control that made it so fun to us all? :smt104

I just keep coming back, I can not help myself, but that is cause I am pathetic.

'Bad Affy' sez... "Well, I do not have to insult myself if I am going to keep belittling myself? Affy has taken the fun out of being me also.." :smt017
Affy, I hope you are doing well and Mrs Affy is well too :)

Thanks for the invite, but even if I stil had my 19909 account, which I sold a couple of years ago, I don't think I'd do it. Time is a hugely limiting factor with everything that's going on in my life (none of it bad, fortunately) so I couldn't do it properly. Besides, based on how things seem around here, Q isn't going to be the same as it was.

I don't think the anti-cheating mechanisms that were introduced had any derogatory effect - they worked fine while admin Jason was there to act upon it (and to act objectively). The problems started later on. I know a lot of things that we were trying to do, behind the scenes (Game Cops, Section Admins, etc), to get Q more active. But you can only do so much before you decide to call it a day. All of us Game Cops, Section Admins, Mods, we were all doing that, putting in the time and effort, without any reward, the contribution and knowing you've helped in making it better was the reward by itself. Once you cannot make it better anymore because the people above you don't really give a damn or don't want to do something because it wouldn't help someone they are on a friendly basis with.. well, it makes you question whether you want to do it anymore. And then it makes you question whether you even want to play anymore.

Sadly, the place hasn't picked up since then.
I remember one time, as a Game Cop, saw something wrong, had to act quickly and banned a player. He started complaining how I only did that because he was in war with me (which he was), and how I was biased and yadayada. I talked with admin J through Skype and J said he would have to unban the player and give him some resources he lost. He agreed it was the right call to ban the player and, upon reviewing the evidence further, he said the ban was fully justified. However, he didn't want to give impression about Game Cops being biased. So he implemented a rule us, Game Cops, had to adhere to afterwards. If you are in a war with someone, you can't ban them until it is put to vote with the other Game Cops, unless the cheating that is going on is of critical importance. If it's medium, you just gotta wait until one of the other GCs comes online, alert them and that they are the one who does the banning.

So going from a pro-active team which includes the big man trying to make positive changes, to make the system better, to a team which isn't allowed to do much (it came to a point where we weren't allowed to ban anyone for anything except feeding, they could be cheating all day long and we weren't allowed to act upon it) and, despite having a more direct line, the new man in charge not giving much of a damn.. You lose the motivation to login soon afterwards, lets just say ;)

I do still lurk on forums from time to time, though :) Mostly it's about selling resources on main, but I do wander in these parts sometimes :)

~Jack
{Banned}
Spoiler
Clockwork
The Ablest Man

Times change, maybe they have again :)
Affirmation
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: The Magnificents
Race: Ancient
ID: 42530
Alternate name(s): Affy 'Bad Affy' or just Crazy Old Man Affy

Neimenljivi wrote:Affy, I hope you are doing well and Mrs Affy is well too :)
Mrs. Affy is doing really, really well. Thanks for asking. She has certainly come a long way from the near death double-stroke that changed our lives so dramatically in late 2012. I behave as much as possible and we have carved out a great new existence and we have learned what we can and cant do now. Knowing your limitations is a true key to happiness!! :smt110

I wish we could get a handful of the longtime Quantum players to come back for a few Eras, just to liven things up a little. So far the tweaks seem to be working well for this Era although I get a sneaking suspicion that Income is going to progressively increase to phenomenal proportions!! :smt021

'Bad Affy' sez... "Mrs. Affy is the bomb. I never say anything derogatory about her, well, other than she married a putz..." #-o
What Happened to my Siggy????

Damn it Bernie!!

Affy? or 'Bad Affy'...:
Spoiler
What in the H E double LL happened to the Siggy's???

Affirmation wrote:
Neimenljivi wrote:Affy, I hope you are doing well and Mrs Affy is well too :)
Mrs. Affy is doing really, really well. Thanks for asking. She has certainly come a long way from the near death double-stroke that changed our lives so dramatically in late 2012. I behave as much as possible and we have carved out a great new existence and we have learned what we can and cant do now. Knowing your limitations is a true key to happiness!! :smt110

I wish we could get a handful of the longtime Quantum players to come back for a few Eras, just to liven things up a little. So far the tweaks seem to be working well for this Era although I get a sneaking suspicion that Income is going to progressively increase to phenomenal proportions!! :smt021

'Bad Affy' sez... "Mrs. Affy is the bomb. I never say anything derogatory about her, well, other than she married a putz..." #-o
Really, really glad to hear that she's doing well and that you are both happy mate :)

If things are looking to go that way, I really hope you guys don't encounter the pesky highest number limit based on the amount of bits they use for storing numbers in the DB (what was it, 9,27 something quad or quin-trillion.. I remember some battles with HE in the ascension era when we both reached those numbers something like half-way through). It makes things weird lol.

~Jack
{Banned}
Spoiler

Return to “Quantum General”