August security update

To discuss, debate, suggest improvements on, or ask to rollback, enhancements released to the game.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: August security update

Sol wrote:
Juliette wrote:
Preem Palver wrote:
Juliette wrote:They are not supposed to appear at all.
So, a small glitch then?
It appears to be.
Could randomly choose a section to display as numbers to lighten the load...not sure if AJ has that in his code.
AJ just has a function to generate images, and calls it in a certain number of places (all AS / UU / Naq areas, among others). If you want to randomise that, you are adding a heck of a lot of code. Then again, Ascended *can* handle it.. *grin* Whether Main can, though..

;)
Sol
Forum Addict
ID: 0

Juliette wrote:
Sol wrote:
Juliette wrote:
Preem Palver wrote:
Juliette wrote:They are not supposed to appear at all.
So, a small glitch then?
It appears to be.
Could randomly choose a section to display as numbers to lighten the load...not sure if AJ has that in his code.
AJ just has a function to generate images, and calls it in a certain number of places (all AS / UU / Naq areas, among others). If you want to randomise that, you are adding a heck of a lot of code. Then again, Ascended *can* handle it.. *grin* Whether Main can, though..

;)

Well it shouldn't be that hard...but every so often it might not show the images...
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Sol wrote:
Juliette wrote:AJ just has a function to generate images, and calls it in a certain number of places (all AS / UU / Naq areas, among others). If you want to randomise that, you are adding a heck of a lot of code. Then again, Ascended *can* handle it.. *grin* Whether Main can, though..

;)
Well it shouldn't be that hard...but every so often it might not show the images...
Hard is one thing.. slowing down things is another. This update slows down enough as it is.. not sure what you intend with randomising it? Except maybe lessening the slow-down. I am one of the few who complain about that though, hardly anyone else seems to be bothered by it. ;)
Sol
Forum Addict

Juliette wrote:
Sol wrote:
Juliette wrote:AJ just has a function to generate images, and calls it in a certain number of places (all AS / UU / Naq areas, among others). If you want to randomise that, you are adding a heck of a lot of code. Then again, Ascended *can* handle it.. *grin* Whether Main can, though..

;)
Hard is one thing.. slowing down things is another. This update slows down enough as it is.. not sure what you intend with randomising it? Except maybe lessening the slow-down. I am one of the few who complain about that though, hardly anyone else seems to be bothered by it. ;)

randomizing would only speed it up...it isn't that hard.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Sol wrote:randomizing would only speed it up...it isn't that hard.
I readily admit your superiority in coding things. ;) (Though in my opinion adding a randomising function to the existing 'generation' code will slow things down.. but I *do* have a lack of knowledge.)
Sol
Forum Addict

Juliette wrote:
Sol wrote:randomizing would only speed it up...it isn't that hard.
I readily admit your superiority in coding things. ;) (Though in my opinion adding a randomising function to the existing 'generation' code will slow things down.. but I *do* have a lack of knowledge.)

$x = rand(1,1000)
if($x <11)
display numbers
else
display images.

So for every 100 odd pages chances are a user will stumble on one that uses numbers instead of images, decreasing load time but still deterring scripters.
Pretty simple, it is possible, but whether or not AJ did it you will have to find out.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Sphinx42
Goa'uld

Actually, it happened again twice this turn, it lasted for maybe a minute at most each time, and all the pages I checked during that time had the old text numbers instead of the new image numbers. So I doubt it's a randomized function.

It's not that I'm too upset about it, mind you (I liked the old numbers better anyway). It's just that, if it's a small glitch that goes unfixed, it might end up messing up the rankings again and stopping people from doing their usual farming, raiding and stuff. Then the game goes offline for a while, a farm fest occurs afterwards (which some of us will miss, as usual), PPTs are missed, there's complaining and so on - it happened before with less notice.
Gone, left, no longer here.
The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Another suggestion, for anyone who is on PPT or in a realm opposite to yours (perg if you're in normal, normal if you're in perg) naq and army size show as numbers. Should help decrease loading time, and won't affect any scripters, since if a user is on PPT or in a different realm, they can't be hit.
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD

Return to “Discussion on Enhancements (ones already released)”