Top 10 Greatest Films of all time...

Chat about your favorite movie?
Does that new film look great or like an epic fail?

OK! What is your top 10?

Lord of The Rings - Return of the King
11%
Matrix (1999)
10%
Shawshank Redemption
8%
The Godfather (part I & II jointly)
9%
To Kill a Mocking Bird.
3%
Star Wars (1977)
9%
Gladiator
15%
Gone With the Wind
2%
Pulp Fiction
5%
The Dark Knight
8%
Apocalypse Now
3%
It's a Wonderful Life
2%
JAWS
5%
E.T.
3%
The Great Escape
8%

Total votes: 176
Apadamek
Forum Expert
Alliance: Cloud HVE
Race: System Lord
ID: 1981768

Re: Top 10 Greatest Films of all time...

Where's Scarface? :(
Image << Trader Feedback
Questions about the stock market, watches or betting on sports? Click the sig above!
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God
ID: 0

APADAMEK! wrote:Where's Scarface? :(

The same place a lot of other films that should be up there are.

In Empire Mags top 500 greatest films of all time godfather came top, raiders of the lost arc came second and star wars ep V came third. Shawshank redemption came 4th I think and scarface 5th. TDK came 15th.

tbh, their list was not that good. Some films were all the way back in the 400's that clearly deserve to be in the top 50 hands down.

For me, the first Star Wars film is the greatest film of all time, and I would never accept anything different. The immense size of the effect SW has had on media and general culture since its creation, and the LOTR eating expanse that is the resulting franchise, I just cannot actually see any logical contenders at all.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin
Alliance: EPA
Race: Tauri

Honours and Awards

Hmm - Dunno Semper - I enjoy Star Wars (enough to go to the cinema to see the remastered original trilogy when it was re-released a few years back), but I think it's far from the greatest film ever (we all have different taste!) . For me, Harrison Ford makes the film (Mark Hammil is a wuss) - and Han Solo has always been my favourite character, with some of the best moments in the films coming from the interaction between him and Chewbacca - I wonder if Star Wars would have been as successful without Ford in that role?

I will grant you that Star Wars has probably produced the most prolific/iconic character ever - in the form of Darth Vader.

I'd probably put Raiders of the Lost Ark above Star Wars - in fact I think I might have to go to the other thread and amend it to include Raiders!
Severian wrote:So I say as a last resort, splice Semper & Wolf359 for a good balance, Clone said unholy abomination a hundred times, let loose on forums and problem solved.
Mod Speak
Manetheren
Forum Elite
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Ancient

I was going to mention Raiders but you beat me to it Wolf.

Offhand I would add Stalag 17, Psycho, Saving Pvt Ryan. There's too many..
Goodfellas comes to mind but The Godfather kinda takes that genre.

Oh, and The Sixth Sense.
semper

Wolf359 wrote:Hmm - Dunno Semper - I enjoy Star Wars (enough to go to the cinema to see the remastered original trilogy when it was re-released a few years back), but I think it's far from the greatest film ever (we all have different taste!) . For me, Harrison Ford makes the film (Mark Hammil is a wuss) - and Han Solo has always been my favourite character, with some of the best moments in the films coming from the interaction between him and Chewbacca - I wonder if Star Wars would have been as successful without Ford in that role?

I will grant you that Star Wars has probably produced the most prolific/iconic character ever - in the form of Darth Vader.

I'd probably put Raiders of the Lost Ark above Star Wars - in fact I think I might have to go to the other thread and amend it to include Raiders!

Well, it is not because of the acting or the camera and that sort of thing. It is because of its influence, its massive fan base, the good never forgettable characters there are. (Darth Vader, Obi Wan, Jabba, Han, Lea, Chewi, R2 and C3PO...) The Story line is very good too, it has branched out so much into different and many and varied things.

I know we all have different tastes and things, but this is why I said logically. Lol, what can I say, I may not be the biggest fan by far (I have a lot of knowledge.) But I am passionate in my mediocre fan position. (I would certainly never dress up as a member of Star wars or start speaking Hutt..lol.)
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

The name of the film escapes me at the moment, but Star Wars was supposedly based on another film - a western if I remember correctly (although I may not)! I remember watching some documentary about it, and George Lucas was talking about what influenced Star Wars. As for story line - it's not bad, but personally, I find the idea and story behind Star Trek more compelling.

(Trek also had its influences - look at the name of the first US space shuttle!)

There's always been a great 'Star Trek' or 'Star Wars' debate - but personally I think it's a debate that is invalid as the 2 are not directly comparable. Star Wars is a classic 'good v evil' story where good always triumphs; Star Trek is deeper and is, essentially, about the 'human condition' and how the human race is envisaged to cope with space exploration and encounters with alien life. In Trek, sometimes good does not always prevail, or has to divert from the path of righteousness 'for the good of the many', or simply because they know they should not interfere. Even as far back as the early episodes, it dealt with reality, rather than fantasy. In particular, many comparisons were made regarding the relationship of the US with the USSR - and how this seemed to be mirrored in the relationship between the Federation and the Klingon Empire (brought to a head in Star Trek VI when the Federation and Klingons found peace - echoing what was happening in the real world at the time!).

They're both great stories and while Star Wars IV, V & VI (lets face it, I, II & III are pants!) have the edge over the Trek films, the Star Trek universe as a whole beats the Star Wars universe for me.

Anyway - I digress (probably because I'm absolutely knackered and almost falling asleep!).

I waffle on when I'm tired. I do do that!
Severian wrote:So I say as a last resort, splice Semper & Wolf359 for a good balance, Clone said unholy abomination a hundred times, let loose on forums and problem solved.
Mod Speak
semper

Wolf359 wrote:
I waffle on when I'm tired. I do do that!

I have to admit I am somewhat exceptionally bad for this too.

Star Trek I will admit great merits with Trek's Story Lines, but I just cannot see the comparison at the end of the day...

haha..I love this debate despite the fact it can never really have a victor, less we round up all respective fans and have a large fight. Round 1 - Unimatrix 1 (natural disadvantage to star wars because of borg presence.) Round 2 - Death Star with the presence of Darth Vader and Palps. and round 3 on a cloud surrounded by care bears.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

lol - yeah - did you ever see any of the Star Trek V Star Wars spoof vids on YouTube? Awesome.

You are right Semper - there is no real comparison between the 2 - which is what I was trying to get at (I think - lol!).

Must have sleep!
Mod Speak
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

Good Will Hunting - When I saw it had a young Matt Damon and Ben Afleck in it I nearly turned over - glad I didn't. The film has its flaws, some bits of very predictable, but its a bit like Fight Club - if it doesn't leave you thinking about your own life, your own choices, then you missed the point of the film.

For me it'd have to be (in no particular order):

LoTR 3
Star Wars (Original)
The Matrix
Gladiator
Raiders of the Lost Arc
Good Will Hunting
Fight Club
Braveheart
Resevoir Dogs
Snatch
Wolf359
The Big Bad Admin

Honours and Awards

Matt Damon - a definite candidate for worst actor ever!

Reservoir Dogs - excellent choice! Easily Tarantino's finest work! Pulp Fiction is pants in comparison! :lol:
Mod Speak
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

Gonna have to add Monty Python Quest for the Holy Grail - awesome film, killer bunnies, castle anthrax, the knights who say ni, and some of the most quotable medieval scenes ever!

And Shawshank Redemption - not entirely sure if its my favourite film of all time, but it is a very complete movie and easily an example of how an awesome film should be made
papa~smurf
Forum Addict
Alliance: fool killer
Race: human

white heat...."I'm on top of the world ma, top of the world"
Easy^ Rocks
Caladon
Forum Regular
Race: Chaos Marine
ID: 40983

LOTR - Definitely one of the best, on par with Raiders and Star Wars (though I preferred Episode V over Episode IV).
If I have traded with you, please give feedback:
http://herebegames.com/StarGateWarsNew/ ... 8&t=132155
Deaths_Rider
Forum Regular

i'm sorry but despite the fact that many of you may now hate me star wars is rubish! all of them.

they have stolen or ridiculus story lines the whinyist main characters (both luke and anakin) to ever be heros and so many good(democracy) v evil (dictatorship) cliches that it's sad

they survive only because of a good score and a brilliant villian placed in an average fantasy world that is inexpicably very popular amongst the obseive fan types.

while some of your list was good i couldn't find ten that would even make my top 50 and so didn't give ten votes and from the looks of it others felt the same
Flow with it

Death is not the end but only the begining
semper

Deaths_Rider wrote:i'm sorry but despite the fact that many of you may now hate me star wars is rubish! all of them.

they have stolen or ridiculus story lines the whinyist main characters (both luke and anakin) to ever be heros and so many good(democracy) v evil (dictatorship) cliches that it's sad

they survive only because of a good score and a brilliant villian placed in an average fantasy world that is inexpicably very popular amongst the obseive fan types.

while some of your list was good i couldn't find ten that would even make my top 50 and so didn't give ten votes and from the looks of it others felt the same

It is ok...I would really only want someone with taste and knowledge about film making or even just films in general to vote. So do not burden yourself.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler

Return to “Grand Cinema”