The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Chat about your favorite movie?
Does that new film look great or like an epic fail?

Moderator: Misc Mods

Which are the top 10 of Sci-fi among these for you?

2001 Space Odyssey (1968)
3
2%
Abyss (1989)
2
1%
Alien (1979)
8
5%
Aliens (1986)
5
3%
Avengers (2012)
4
3%
Back to Future (1985)
9
6%
Blade Runner (1982)
6
4%
Clockwork Orange Star Trek (2009)
0
No votes
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
4
3%
Dark City (1998)
3
2%
E.T. (1982)
3
2%
The Fifth Element (1997)
6
4%
Gattaca (1997)
3
2%
Inception (2010)
6
4%
Independence Day (1996)
10
6%
Matrix (1999)
10
6%
Men In Black (1997)
6
4%
Metropolis (1927)
1
1%
Minority Report (2002)
3
2%
The Planet of Apes (1968)
1
1%
Stargate (1994)
12
8%
Star Wars IV - A New Hope (1977)
18
12%
Star Wars V- Empire Strikes Back (1980)
17
11%
The Terminator (1984)
6
4%
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)
8
5%
 
Total votes: 154

User avatar
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Posts: 4453
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:39 am
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691
Location: CARDIFF

Re: The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Post by MEZZANINE » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:49 am

Legendary Apophis wrote:
MEZZANINE wrote:The list is to short with many greats not included and some real crap listed

If you're going to do a vote you should first do a nominations thread for a week or two, then set the vote of a shortlisted 'most nominated' movies

Independence Day and Minority Report I suppose you consider as "real crap"? :P
My fear was that some over-hyped recent realistically-average/just good movies would be listed a lot (well I haven't seen Star Trek 2009 so I don't know if it is average movie realistically talking) while some classics wouldn't (Metropolis, Close Encounters, Abyss...) come in the voting due to being nominated not sufficiently because people didn't see them or something. It wasn't really meant to be "I list my 10 fav sci-fi movies" as Semper also already did such a thread for movies in general. I just wanted to do like his "top 10 movies objectively talking" for Sci-Fi.
I based it out of IMDB ratings, I admit I missed a few such as War of the Worlds original, Things to Come (1936), Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and some more...

Yes I am aware Avengers is there for the hype but well I had to add one of these after all! :P

But if you want, I can start such a list as a parallel thread. As I am curious what movies would come out of these nominations (25 polled, 10 to vote out of that).
viewtopic.php?f=255&t=193585


Independence Day was good entertainment but should never make a sci fi top ten, Minority Report was OK I suppose, just another big budget action movie that was over-hyped to the point where it disappointed everyone, and Im glad you pointed out Avengers, that was pure trash. And Fifth Element really ? The only thing thats makes it watchable is Milla.

As for Metropolis, no doubt it was ground-braking for it's time, but it's easy to be ground-braking in a time where nothing much has been tried before... have you ever tried watching it, damn thing drags on for hours & hours of tedium, I challenge anyone to try and sit through the full version without slipping into a coma.


EDIT

BTW the original War of the Worlds was rubbish too lol The best way to hear that story is the Jeff Wayne audio version :smt047

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one...... but still they coo-mmmmee da da da, da da da, dum dum dum ..... damn I can still hear it in my head 25 years after I had it on tape :smt043
Image

Image

Image
SpoilerShow
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971

User avatar
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Posts: 13681
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:54 pm
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great
Location: Ha'TaK

Re: The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Post by Legendary Apophis » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:05 am

MEZZANINE wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:
MEZZANINE wrote:The list is to short with many greats not included and some real crap listed

If you're going to do a vote you should first do a nominations thread for a week or two, then set the vote of a shortlisted 'most nominated' movies

Independence Day and Minority Report I suppose you consider as "real crap"? :P
My fear was that some over-hyped recent realistically-average/just good movies would be listed a lot (well I haven't seen Star Trek 2009 so I don't know if it is average movie realistically talking) while some classics wouldn't (Metropolis, Close Encounters, Abyss...) come in the voting due to being nominated not sufficiently because people didn't see them or something. It wasn't really meant to be "I list my 10 fav sci-fi movies" as Semper also already did such a thread for movies in general. I just wanted to do like his "top 10 movies objectively talking" for Sci-Fi.
I based it out of IMDB ratings, I admit I missed a few such as War of the Worlds original, Things to Come (1936), Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and some more...

Yes I am aware Avengers is there for the hype but well I had to add one of these after all! :P

But if you want, I can start such a list as a parallel thread. As I am curious what movies would come out of these nominations (25 polled, 10 to vote out of that).
viewtopic.php?f=255&t=193585


Independence Day was good entertainment but should never make a sci fi top ten, Minority Report was OK I suppose, just another big budget action movie that was over-hyped to the point where it disappointed everyone, and Im glad you pointed out Avengers, that was pure trash. And Fifth Element really ? The only thing thats makes it watchable is Milla.

As for Metropolis, no doubt it was ground-braking for it's time, but it's easy to be ground-braking in a time where nothing much has been tried before... have you ever tried watching it, damn thing drags on for hours & hours of tedium, I challenge anyone to try and sit through the full version without slipping into a coma.

I disagree with Fifth Element, it's a funny scifi movie, great entertainment! :D

As for Metropolis, I recently acquired the almost-full version with the 30min long-time missed parts (2h25mn), and I watched it (not "tried") and I didn't come anywhere as near as a coma, in fact, this movie amazed me (especially it's special effects, for cryin out loud it was made in 1927!!! :shock: ). I wouldn't have picked it as part of my top 10 out of the poll if I didn't watch it *and* appreciate it. ;) I would say that you didn't understand this movie if you "slipped into a coma". :-k I might be 'only' 22 years old, but that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate 1920's movies. :P
Image
Image
Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
SpoilerShow
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life

User avatar
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Posts: 4453
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:39 am
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691
Location: CARDIFF

Re: The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Post by MEZZANINE » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:29 am

Legendary Apophis wrote:
MEZZANINE wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:
MEZZANINE wrote:The list is to short with many greats not included and some real crap listed

If you're going to do a vote you should first do a nominations thread for a week or two, then set the vote of a shortlisted 'most nominated' movies

Independence Day and Minority Report I suppose you consider as "real crap"? :P
My fear was that some over-hyped recent realistically-average/just good movies would be listed a lot (well I haven't seen Star Trek 2009 so I don't know if it is average movie realistically talking) while some classics wouldn't (Metropolis, Close Encounters, Abyss...) come in the voting due to being nominated not sufficiently because people didn't see them or something. It wasn't really meant to be "I list my 10 fav sci-fi movies" as Semper also already did such a thread for movies in general. I just wanted to do like his "top 10 movies objectively talking" for Sci-Fi.
I based it out of IMDB ratings, I admit I missed a few such as War of the Worlds original, Things to Come (1936), Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and some more...

Yes I am aware Avengers is there for the hype but well I had to add one of these after all! :P

But if you want, I can start such a list as a parallel thread. As I am curious what movies would come out of these nominations (25 polled, 10 to vote out of that).
viewtopic.php?f=255&t=193585


Independence Day was good entertainment but should never make a sci fi top ten, Minority Report was OK I suppose, just another big budget action movie that was over-hyped to the point where it disappointed everyone, and Im glad you pointed out Avengers, that was pure trash. And Fifth Element really ? The only thing thats makes it watchable is Milla.

As for Metropolis, no doubt it was ground-braking for it's time, but it's easy to be ground-braking in a time where nothing much has been tried before... have you ever tried watching it, damn thing drags on for hours & hours of tedium, I challenge anyone to try and sit through the full version without slipping into a coma.

I disagree with Fifth Element, it's a funny scifi movie, great entertainment! :D

As for Metropolis, I recently acquired the almost-full version with the 30min long-time missed parts (2h25mn), and I watched it (not "tried") and I didn't come anywhere as near as a coma, in fact, this movie amazed me (especially it's special effects, for cryin out loud it was made in 1927!!! :shock: ). I wouldn't have picked it as part of my top 10 out of the poll if I didn't watch it *and* appreciate it. ;) I would say that you didn't understand this movie if you "slipped into a coma". :-k I might be 'only' 22 years old, but that doesn't mean I cannot appreciate 1920's movies. :P



OK on Metropolis maybe I went a bit OTT, as a BIG movie fan I can appreciate what it achieved, the story is classic, and the affects for the time must have been insanely good, but I still cant enjoy watching it as a movie, for me it's more like admiring the creators and the things that followed that they inspired, not the film itself.
Image

Image

Image
SpoilerShow
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971

User avatar
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Posts: 13681
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:54 pm
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great
Location: Ha'TaK

Re: The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Post by Legendary Apophis » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:41 am

Well, not only the effects, but also the actors performance, for example the actress Brigitte Helm and her facial expressions, impressed me. When actors are great, the fact it's silent isn't anymore a problem.
Image
Image
Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
SpoilerShow
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life

User avatar
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Posts: 13681
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:54 pm
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great
Location: Ha'TaK

Re: The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Post by Legendary Apophis » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:49 pm

I'm surprised nobody picked 2001 Space Odyssey movie. :o
Image
Image
Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
SpoilerShow
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life

User avatar
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Posts: 4453
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:39 am
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691
Location: CARDIFF

Re: The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Post by MEZZANINE » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:19 am

Legendary Apophis wrote:I'm surprised nobody picked 2001 Space Odyssey movie. :o


The dialog with Hal was brilliant, especially when disconnecting his brain and the computer is almost begging for it's life/mind, but although those bits were very good and the space scenes were epic on the big screen, most of the film was very slow, personally I preferred 2010 as a movie.
Image

Image

Image
SpoilerShow
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971

Jim
Pony Princess
Posts: 7883
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:34 pm
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

Re: The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:14 am

Duderanch wrote:How is A Clockwork Orang SciFi? :?

What the hell do you know you uneducated idiot?
"Clockwork Orang [sic]" is obviously Sci Fi. AAAAAND great SciFi at that!

Legendary Apophis wrote:I'm surprised nobody picked 2001 Space Odyssey movie. :o

Yes! What the hell is wrong with you people?! How stupid are you all!? 2001 is probably THE best science fiction film of all time!

MEZZANINE wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:I'm surprised nobody picked 2001 Space Odyssey movie. :o


most of the film was very slow

Cretin. Get yourself some ilicit herbs.

My science fiction proffessor at uni agrees that 2001 is probably the best sci fi film of all time.


FOOLS! All of you fools!
Image

User avatar
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Posts: 23203
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:44 am
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha
Location: Nivlheim

Re: The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Post by Zeratul » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 pm

2001 is a different type of sci-fi, but then, it predates most of them so...

Good movie. old, but good.

from what little we read about "a clockwork orange" (which was little), it is indeed sci-fi. Like 2001, it is not the modern form of sci-fi, though. many of the things that were truly science fiction back in the days the stories for such movies were written, are now science.
Image
Image
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...

User avatar
Semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Posts: 7282
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:24 pm
Race: God
ID: 0
Location: Forever watching...always here...
Contact:

Re: The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Post by Semper » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 am

I read top and sci-fi. Naturally there is only one choice when 'top' and 'film' are used together in any positive context. Star Wars, episode IV.
Image
Accolades/Titles:
SpoilerShow
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.

User avatar
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Posts: 13681
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:54 pm
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great
Location: Ha'TaK

Re: The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Post by Legendary Apophis » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:14 am

Semper wrote:I read top and sci-fi. Naturally there is only one choice when 'top' and 'film' are used together in any positive context. Star Wars, episode IV.

[-X make that two.
Terminator 2: Judgement Day.
Image
Image
Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
SpoilerShow
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life

Tomy
Forum Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:00 am
ID: 0

Re: The top 10 Sci-fi movies Poll

Post by Tomy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:51 pm

didn´t vote for Inception cause it´s not really sci-fi .... well, at least not for me ... other than that: most thrilling movie ever!

Post Reply

Return to “Grand Cinema”