Man of Steel

Chat about your favorite movie?
Does that new film look great or like an epic fail?
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Man of Steel

Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Man of Steel

I am quite looking forward to this one, actually. :-D

If only for a more sensible way of looking at Superman.. I mean, he would get shot at with cruise missiles from 99% of all nations.. Smallville was brilliant, but there is a massive difference between how the world would cope with a SuperBoy and how it would handle a Superman.
The naivete surrounding Superman is surreal. People would not hesitate to kill and dissect him. No world for heroes. (Mind you, the idea of a super-powerful alien dropping on Earth being raised as human is far less so.) (Also, hence the popularity of video games where you do get to be the hero worshipped by all. **Filtered** culture of shame and inhibition.)
Master Rahl
Forum Regular
Alliance: KzD
Race: Aydindril
ID: 13355
Alternate name(s): Master Rahl

way to many words. I am looking forward to it. the marvel movies and they are getting better and better.
[9:21:11 PM] Les Ennemis: good i like our members happy
What kind of plans would the Master Rahl have? I plan to conquer the world
Spoiler
ImageImage
Aisar Saqib
Forum Expert
Alliance: TF HC
Race: TF
ID: 1912374
Alternate name(s): ASJ, messenger of death,deadily knight,lord cyrus..

i loved this movie and for a non sequel this movie is going to be a big grosser..

Most Slaughters: 70 by ASJ

Trade feedback:
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=191582

SGW awards and past sigs:
Spoiler
ImageImage
Noobert
Sedin Triplet
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: A Canuck
ID: 57572

Mm..I'm going to give it a 7/10 just because I hate the Zod actor and the armor they wore sounded like hard plastic when fighting.
xDaku
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity - leader
ID: 27858

Action was good, story was blegh, characters were crap. They made superman look cool, but there was absolutely no connection felt to the characters for the majority of the movie.

7/10 for entertainment.
Spoiler
Easy^ wrote: I am sorry if my shadow is too awesome for you to stand in.
E
MEZZANINE wrote:
Oooo I like higher math

E=Mc2*SGW = ( ( U = A*S*S ) + ( JT + $$$ + E*G*O ) ) + ( FS = AWESOME + Infinity ). Therefor FS -> DDE :D
Yyith wrote:Yyith says:
thats why women have small feet
get closer to the sink
Spoiler
Mezzanine wrote:Picture a hot summers day, sitting on the grass ( maybe smoking it too lol ), sun shining, cool breeze, cold beer, beautiful lady, perfect Serenity

Now picture your worst nightmare, the grass turned into trenches of mud, rain drenching you, ice winds, down to rations, surrounded by death and destruction

Turning your dreams into nightmares is what we do, heed this warning and pass it on, else you will forget your serenity forever

Blood in 2012 - Updated 1st Sep, 2012:
Spoiler
Attack Soldiers killed: 32,934,122
Defence Soldiers killed: 17,810,494
Attack Supers killed: 777,708,800
Defence Supers killed: 1,004,092,379
Spy Killers killed: 301,726,911
Spies Killed: 1,223,520,310
Total: 3,357,793,016

Raiders lost: 5,324,560
Guards lost: 14,223,773
Super Soldiers lost: 907,918,161
Super Guards lost: 654,870,558
Undercover Agents lost: 411,831,764
Assassin lost: 269,766,078
Total: 2,263,934,894
~Odin~
Alföðr
Alliance: The Collective
Race: International Pimp
ID: 0

I'll wait to watch it another way then spend $17 on a movie ticket and $20 at the snack bar.
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 145,573,411,725,000 damage
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 3 damage
TGW Annual Community Awards 2014/2015
Spoiler
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Movie was absolutely massive, in 3D.

I was somehow skeptical about a rewrite of the story, but the action made me forget about my orthodox-to-the-story expectations. Because the action-CGI came close to (to each their style) 2012 or 2005 King Kong.
I can always go back to watch Smallville or the old Superman movies to find what I enjoyed from the franchise.

The final fight is just amazing. Yes, that's THE movie I was waiting for during this summer, and I wasn't disappointed, even though I didn't rush to see it.
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Psyko
The Irresistible

It was a definite let-down.

All of the hype for a non-linear storyline that had far too much exposition, created no empathy for the characters, and had terribly obvious CGI dramatics that failed to get anywhere near Epic on the awesome scale.

Not worth the money for a 3D ticket, and I question whether it was worth the regular ticket cost.

They could have done better. 7/10 is generous. I'd give it a 5 or 5.5/10.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Funny. I too went to see it tonight, had a great time with excellent company. We kept pointing out the very obviously Smallville-inspired links here and there. Fun to see a movie with someone who has a similar frame of reference.

Anyway, I loved it. It helps that a Superman-watcher knows the characters before they are even named, as well as recognises the technology used by Kryptonians. Would have made way more sense as the start of a new series of movies. As a reboot-episode, it made sense to an audience that has already learned to recognise characters and plot points. (Phantom Zone? Kind of dropped in there. Made sense because I knew it.) Not to mention Super himself doing the one thing that in all of Smallville, he has never - intentionally - done. :shock:
Psyko
The Irresistible

Juliette wrote:Funny. I too went to see it tonight, had a great time with excellent company. We kept pointing out the very obviously Smallville-inspired links here and there. Fun to see a movie with someone who has a similar frame of reference.

Anyway, I loved it. It helps that a Superman-watcher knows the characters before they are even named, as well as recognises the technology used by Kryptonians. Would have made way more sense as the start of a new series of movies. As a reboot-episode, it made sense to an audience that has already learned to recognise characters and plot points. (Phantom Zone? Kind of dropped in there. Made sense because I knew it.) Not to mention Super himself doing the one thing that in all of Smallville, he has never - intentionally - done. :shock:
I tried to remove myself from the fandom and think about the entire film as a standalone.

If I were to factor in all of the little easter eggs and references that only DC & Superman fans would notice, recognize, and understand, I would give the film a higher rating. I know that this is the film they are trying to base their new string of DC films on, but they're being very slow about it and this superhero bubble is likely to burst before we get a Justice League movie...and that's disappointing.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

:-k I can see that point.

Alright. It is no Iron Man.
Noobert
Sedin Triplet
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: A Canuck
ID: 57572

After reading the girl posts, I have come to realize this.

Superman and the DC Universe has the POTENTIAL to be a more realistic realm than the Avengers side of things.

That's what will attract me to DC over Marvel.
Clockwork
The Ablest Man
Alliance: Multiverse
Race: Clockwork Admin
ID: 1940718

I loved the new movie, it more than made up for that deadbeat dad superman returns travesty of 2006.

I see the new movie as more of an alternate reality version of superman, from the Reaves version. More gritty, actually throws a punch, and is pitted against opponents on equalish footing, rather than some human 'crime boss' who lets face it will never stand a chance.

A good re-introduction to the character (like batman begins was), hopefully they will make a sequel or two.
Admin for all the Forum things...
Click Me for forum rules.
Click Me for Game admin contact details.

Return to “Grand Cinema”