Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug

Chat about your favorite movie?
Does that new film look great or like an epic fail?
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug

This place must be dead if you all aren't discussing it....

Anyways - opinions?
Guild
Forum Addict
Alliance: Retiring
Race: Draeden
ID: 1916018
Location: writing a booklet so people understand my humour :D

Re: Hobbit The Desolation of Smaug

I liked it, loved the fight scenes in it, with Legolas kicking ass and taking names.

but... the end, just started something then stopped, granted left me wanting more, but pretty annoying
Retired but still on a rampage
Spoiler
Rudy Peña wrote:Yea, OE is the the next FS in terms of snipers. We proud ourselves on it to the point we give out awards and see who can mass the most with a 0 def.
Drahazar wrote:Im happy to snipe anyone i want, why should i build any defences for you people
George Hazard wrote:FM is like a rite of passage for alliances.
You haven't truly made it to manhood until you've slept with the town prostitute.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Caprila
Grand Master of the Inquisition
Race: Immortal

It's come up on skype a fair amount :)

I really liked it, was awesome. Saw it in 3d to get the most out of it :)

Idk specifically about the Legolas parts. There were times when it seemed a little intrusive, kinda forgetting this is a story about Bilbo and the dwarves, and not how many orcs Legolas can kill, in ever more inventful ways :-k

Elf lady still does not sit right with me.. the 'attraction' between her and Killi just makes me :smt091

Still, little to pick at out of a 3 hour movie, really enjoyed it, will definitely be picking it up on dvd ^^

“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

I was kinda disappointed...felt like it had devolved into average fan fiction...

[spoiler]Elf/Dwarf shipping; blinged out dragon (pimp my dragon anyone?!); no peril in the last thirty mins (we all know the dragon gets killed by Bard and none of the dwarves die here so why have all this?!; most of the fight scenes lost their realism (too computer-game and no peril for main characters) - heck, too many joke decapitations, etc, etc.

At least in Two Towers when they introduced a completely made up element (the Elves at Helms Deep) they killed Haldir and co off to add to the danger/realism - there was none of that here.

Gotta say I loved Lake Town though. And I'm still hopeful for the Battle of Five Armies, even if it will just be a CGI fest...[/spoiler]

For me, this was a long way away from FoTR, which I think was by far and away the best film - that fight scene at Amon Hen was so much better than anything in the Hobbit so far - real peril, real fighting, real emotion, real good ;)
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

RepliMagni wrote:For me, this was a long way away from FoTR, which I think was by far and away the best film - that fight scene at Amon Hen was so much better than anything in the Hobbit so far - real peril, real fighting, real emotion, real good ;)
Technically that was just as little peril, given that everyone knew who was going to survive there too. I remember when one of the trailers just showed all members of the fellowship; like.. "these are the guys this is about, they won't die soon" except Boromir and Gandalf. If we are going to talk about this from the perspective of someone who didn't read any books.. I would imagine their peril being equal.
Everyone's guess that this wouldn't be a Game of Thrones-style slaughter-of-characters-fest. :P
Guild
Forum Addict
Alliance: Retiring
Race: Draeden
ID: 1916018
Location: writing a booklet so people understand my humour :D

I've never read the Hobbit books, I kind of thought/hoped at least one of the hobbit companions was going to be picked of by the orcs atleast to add a little flavour to the film
Retired but still on a rampage
Spoiler
Rudy Peña wrote:Yea, OE is the the next FS in terms of snipers. We proud ourselves on it to the point we give out awards and see who can mass the most with a 0 def.
Drahazar wrote:Im happy to snipe anyone i want, why should i build any defences for you people
George Hazard wrote:FM is like a rite of passage for alliances.
You haven't truly made it to manhood until you've slept with the town prostitute.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Master Rahl
Forum Regular
Alliance: KzD
Race: Aydindril
ID: 13355
Alternate name(s): Master Rahl

going to see it tomorrow. cant wait.
[9:21:11 PM] Les Ennemis: good i like our members happy
What kind of plans would the Master Rahl have? I plan to conquer the world
Spoiler
ImageImage
Noobert
Sedin Triplet
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: A Canuck
ID: 57572

I loved the movie .. but it pissed me off. I am tired of movies that are made from books giving us a 'prequel' to the real movie, you know?

Return to “Grand Cinema”