Updates - Plague + Tech rebalance +

Specific to server: "GateWars: New Grounds"
Support
Site Admin
ID: 0
Alternate name(s): Juliette

Updates - Plague + Tech rebalance +

At its conception, the game was intended to give newcomers an introduction to GateWars in a simpler environment that would reward effort, but offer a fast track to an account in Main at level 20.

That process was balanced to last somewhere between 3 to 6 months. Along the way (very early o,n in fact) it became noticeable that certain essential features that were designed to maintain that timeline were malfunctioning.
Plague, for instance, did absolutely nothing.
Technology bonuses offering up to a ludicrous 20,000 % stats increase, as well as - more importantly - income. Combined with the wild growth of armies above the cap, the tie between top income/UP and market bonuses meant no newcomer ever had to do anything other than collect the market bonus for either units, sit back, train a bunch of Higgs-units and fast-track through the ascensions.
Within years this rendered the entire ascension track a laughable 10-day process. The effort (or utter lack thereof) does in no way compare to the value of a level 20 Main account.

Starting in 2012, the Plague and rebalancing were announced. Over a period of 3 years, testing took place in the Development environment. Changes to the planning were made (in some cases through force majeure, in other cases because of planning conflicts).
In 2013, the administrator for Newgrounds became administrator for all of Gatewars, and assumed responsibility for Main, Quantum, (Ascended by proxy), Newgrounds. Other projects assumed priority, and while Newgrounds continued to grow, it did so unsupervised (save some minor updates through the years).
In 2015, we developed a new 'vision for GateWars'; in it, Newgrounds plays the role it was intended to play, in addition to offering interesting end-game play.
Development resumed, and for 2 weeks in 2016, the "Incoming: Plague+other updates" warning was displayed on the Base page.
Following Ascension Day in Main, the launch of the updates on NewGrounds is upon us.

The following updates have been launched:
Plague:
- Across the entirety of your realm (both trained and untrained units) will die if you are over the Plague cap. (As it is in Main.)
- Unit death for the next turn will be displayed on your Command Center page.
- Plague will affect all users over the Plague cap.

- Mothership Crews are indicated as a warning, do not yet count for plague.

Flexible Caps:
- Plague will show its murderous rage if your armysize exceeds 8 million.
- Raiding will no longer be possible if your armysize exceeds 6 million.
- Receiving units will no longer be possible if your armysize exceeds 4 million.
- These caps increase by a factor 1.75 for every year Newgrounds exists.

Technology:
- Income Tech now provides a 0.01% bonus per level, up to a max of 200%.
- Mothership Tech provides 0.02% bonus per level (cumulative with Attack/Def tech)
- Mothership Naquadah Carrying Capacity is increased with a factor 10 (UU CC remains the same)
- Attack / Defence Tech now provides 0.01% bonus per level

Security:
- Ongoing: general security updates

Facebook:
- functional SSO (1-click sign in) for those registered through FB

Still to come:
Plague / Flexible Caps:
- Mothership crews count towards population (50 each).

Battles:
- If your Motherships are incapable of breaking through your opponents fleet, no ground battle will follow. This has no effect on attacks requiring a Stargate.
- Blitzkrieg will require a successful MS Battle; if overpowering (att>200%def), kills anticovert, double normal priests, double defenders; quadruple normal attacker death.

Gameplay for level 25+
- tba.
Envy
Forum Elder
Race: System Lord

Re: Updates - Plague + Tech rebalance +

Lucky to those that gained their advantage before the Tech rebalance, I am not that fortunate...

progress 153,906,852 Higgs Particles / 1,000,000,000 Higgs Particles
with a 105,842 Higgs Particles /turn...

I find it dishonest at best.

Edit: Also, those that had the advantage will now always be a step ahead of the newcomers since they could trade their market turns for trillions... and that's not something that will go unnoticed even myself had the luxury of gaining my level 19 that way.
Spoiler
7 sins : Envy , Sloth , Greed , Gluttony , Pride , Wrath , Lust.
Draleg
Forum Expert
Alliance: Judgement
Race: Ancient Bender

Envy wrote:Lucky to those that gained their advantage before the Tech rebalance, I am not that fortunate...

Edit: Also, those that had the advantage will now always be a step ahead of the newcomers since they could trade their market turns for trillions... and that's not something that will go unnoticed even myself had the luxury of gaining my level 19 that way.
Tru , you came back like 1 month to late Envy .... it is not fair but then wen is the game fair to all ...
Evil bending Draleg
Bender: Bite my shiny metal ass!
Hookerbot: Honey, you couldn't afford it.
Bender: Empire Stronghold: 33.300,242,317,098,155 , she is not cheap !
doom_of_anubis
Forum Newbie
Race: Sith Lord
ID: 1968553
Alternate name(s): doom, anubis, TBAMFN

So...this update does what exactly to fix the issue? Stops people from getting to level 20 in a week? What of the giants who are already level 20? It mentions that it was intended that it would take only 6 months of work to get to level 20...Is that meaning 6 months on top of the time it took to get to level 19? Cause that seems to be where this is at now. Maybe even longer.
This seems to shaft new players, and let old ones have their cake and eat it too....
DoA is back to play
Envy
Forum Elder
Race: System Lord

Draleg wrote:
Envy wrote:Lucky to those that gained their advantage before the Tech rebalance, I am not that fortunate...

Tru , you came back like 1 month to late Envy .... it is not fair but then wen is the game fair to all ...
Well one thing I'm sure, this won't drawn new players into NewGrounds... even with that update it doesn't encourage me to actually play it until I reach level 20 and why is that? Because I know most gained theirs the easy way.

And honestly I wouldn't even recommend new players to the game duo the dishonest advantage most gained.

Edit, my opinion is with a major update like this to wipe out the errors of the past only fitting thing to do was a server wide RESET.
Spoiler
7 sins : Envy , Sloth , Greed , Gluttony , Pride , Wrath , Lust.
Draleg
Forum Expert
Alliance: Judgement
Race: Ancient Bender

Envy wrote:
Draleg wrote:

Well one thing I'm sure, this won't drawn new players into NewGrounds... even with that update it doesn't encourage me to actually play it until I reach level 20 and why is that? Because I know most gained theirs the easy way.

And honestly I wouldn't even recommend new players to the game duo the dishonest advantage most gained.

Edit, my opinion is with a major update like this to wipe out the errors of the past only fitting thing to do was a server wide RESET.
or change nothing at all ....
Evil bending Draleg
Bender: Bite my shiny metal ass!
Hookerbot: Honey, you couldn't afford it.
Bender: Empire Stronghold: 33.300,242,317,098,155 , she is not cheap !

Return to “New Grounds General”