Meagen
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: None
Race: System Lord
ID: 103816
Alternate name(s): Åmounet

Re: Asgard/Ancinet roll call

Here asgard :P
[11:18:51 AM] Ulquiorra: Lesson learned, women can do many many things at once, don't annoy them they'll still kick your ass
Bullseye
Forum Expert
Alternate name(s): *Bullseye

Im a mini Asgard now. Never been one, so its a nice changed to be a peace loving lifeform. :smt060
Bous
Forum Grunt
Alliance: Mist Village
Race: Asgard

Count me in (posted this for the 3rd time. Darn outage!).
Regards,

Bous

Reschef
Forum Elder
Alliance: ~Ricos Warlords~ (retired)
Race: System Lord
ID: 37648

Re: Asgard/Ancient roll call

The Asgards and Ancients are nothing but an echo from the past, the Goa'uld rule surpreme.
Spoiler
Borek wrote: No one ever died from playing SGW, although i think some of the whiners may come close to drowning in their own tears :roll:
ImageImage
Thoth
Forum Irregular
Race: Goa'uld
ID: 0
Alternate name(s): Tiberius
Sopdu

Rp'ly goa'ulds are like "N'aww" but Asgard are like -dead- unless your part of the lost tribe.

But Goa'uld are still the best.
Thoth speaking through his host.
Tiberius speaking.
Anyone else in my posts speaking.
Bous
Forum Grunt

Thoth wrote:Rp'ly goa'ulds are like "N'aww" but Asgard are like -dead- unless your part of the lost tribe.

But Goa'uld are still the best.

It's conceivable that other Asgard also broke away from the jurisdiction of the Asgard High Council as the Vanir did. I imagine that the call for complete racial suicide was a strong incentive for some to defy the Council. But perhaps a subject for a separate thread...
Last edited by Bous on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Bous

Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

That would be logical except for one detail... Its not backed by the mythology. The asgard, or more correctly, the æsir, were the main group of gods, but there was another grouping, the vanir. These lived in another place than the æsir, but were essentially of the same people. The population on the other seven worlds of norse mythology were not the same people.

So while there's no backing for other splinter groups, there's nothing saying that there's not a few loners that have split off.
But at the same time, the fact that Asgard do not have the capability of reproduction without cloning, makes it considerably harder for anyone to split off from them.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Bous
Forum Grunt

Zeratul wrote:That would be logical except for one detail... Its not backed by the mythology. The asgard, or more correctly, the æsir, were the main group of gods, but there was another grouping, the vanir. These lived in another place than the æsir, but were essentially of the same people. The population on the other seven worlds of norse mythology were not the same people.

So while there's no backing for other splinter groups, there's nothing saying that there's not a few loners that have split off.
But at the same time, the fact that Asgard do not have the capability of reproduction without cloning, makes it considerably harder for anyone to split off from them.

I take the point. Your logic is sound, particularly with reference to the well understood distinction between the Asgard (Æsir) that were allied with SGC and Earth, and the Lost Tribe Asgard of the Pegasus galaxy (Vanir). Interestingly, and this is what got me to thinking, the leader of the Vanir recognised without much fuss the label Asgard when Daniel exclaims that's who they are. So, perhaps in the SG universe, the distinction in classic mythology is slightly different than we understand.

That said, my point was not to suggest another group of Asgard apart from the Ida/Pegasus paradigm. Rather, my suggestion was that the Asgard in Ida itself may have suffered an internal split when the call for racial suicide was made. In short, some refused to carry out the order (perhaps believing they were close to a cure to the cloning problem). Again, Loki is a precedent here - an Asgard who disobeyed the High Council. Whilst this hypothetical body of Asgard may not be large, and even soon to be extinct, my suggestion was that they may well exist. Not, as you more pithily identified than I, as separate from the Æsir Asgard like the Vanir, but as a group within them.

Hope that makes sense.
Regards,

Bous

Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

well, the distinction between æsir and vanir is actually rather vague... both mythologically and stargately...

A prime example of this is the fact that the as (singular for of æsir) "freyr" in norse mythology was not one of the æsir by birth. He was born one of the vanir. It would not be surprising if this could be the same in stargate, both for him and for many others... (both vanir -> æsir & æsir -> vanir)

But essentially from reading what you say, we agree on the basics... Though the main group of the species, generally known as "asgard", committed communal suicide, their species is far from extinct.
It is probable that the Vanir are both alive and thriving. How many they are, is impossible to know.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Rabbid Thom
Wascawwy Wabbit
Alliance: General - Battle/FAQ Mods
Race: Rabbid
ID: 7905

WE ARE THE GEWIR!! OG, OG, OG, GOOGLE, BING, Yahoo, TATER TODS! explains it all
try and prove the theory wrong i dares you
MP2012
Forum Irregular
Alliance: ~Sand Village~ HVE
Race: Ancient
ID: 1959222
Alternate name(s): Coren

another possible thing is that some of the Asgard(æsir) cold have ascended with the help of an Ancient like Omah did for Danial.
Spoiler

Prior - Prophet - Messiah - Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG -
AGL - IAG - TAG - PTAG - LTAG - QTAG - KTAG - GAG - TOE - TUS - TUN - TUK
- ???
Bous
Forum Grunt

I guess this is possible, which I'll put front and centre to begin with, but unlikely.

For a start, its well known in the SGU that the Asgard are meant to have, as a race, gone too far down a particular path to have ascended. I would wager, much like they struggled against the Replicator's, their minds were not able/willing to go through ascension.

That said, it's not to say Oma or someone didn't drag them into the ascended plane like she did with the people of Abydos etc. But it would be unusual given the Asgard were allied with the Ancients for them all of a sudden, for no explicable reason or great timing, to just decide to do it.
Regards,

Bous

Thoth
Forum Irregular
Sopdu

I wouldn't of thought they would of been ascended anyway. Because they were just a consciousness in a body its not like if a person ascended they left their body when the Asgard could basically do that anyway, just in a less exciting way.

Anyway its cool to see all these ideas for asgard going on. I also had a idea that if I was a Asgard in the RP. Like how Loki experimented on humans maybe other asgard who had his approach would maybe put their own consciousness inside a human body. I don't know, not upto me really.
Tiberius speaking.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

well, sticking an Asgard mind inside a human is not feasible due to the completely different brain structure. Asgard minds are also far more complex.
Just imagine sticking the brain of a brown rat (rattus norvegicus) inside a Sperm whale. They need completely different things and behave differently. It would be incapable of controlling such body.
the average body weight of the former is 250(f)-350(m) grams. The weight of the brain alone on a sperm whale is roughly 7800 grams. (total weight of up to 57,000,000 grams)
The comparison between human and asgard brain and body physiology is similar. Human minds are too primitive in design for asgard to utilize, just as the human body is too different from the asgard body to be switchable without extreme modification on a level beyond what the asgard/tau'ri are capable of. Near-ascension ancients might have a physiology that is remotely compatible, but even that is unlikely, since they all stem from different origins. if the ancients had stuck around, they could've helped the asgard solve the problem though.

But facts aside, it is an interesting idea...

the choices of the Asgard as a species took them away from the path the ancients took that led to ascension. It probably started out fairly innocently, with certain Asgard uninterested in ascension. A few such choices over time eventually led to the problems with their cloning, and by the time those were noticeable, it was already too late; the path towards ascension had already been cut off.

It is possible that if the Asgard had not had their war with the replicators, some might have chosen to go in the direction of androids similar to those devised by the Altair. Or perhaps even a form of humanoid-form replicators. Maybe even a form of cyborg mixture. pure Asgard DNA, mixed in with nanite technology to build a viable body that maintains the Asgard genome, yet does not deteriorate. The war with the replicators would naturally seal off such choice, due to the danger replicators had posed for them.

anyways, this sort of thing is quite fun to discuss...

Thoth
Forum Irregular
Sopdu

But remember asgard came from a species very similar from humans, so it wouldn't be that hard to make the mix.
Tiberius speaking.

Return to “Asgard/ Ancients”