Tourney number 50

Specific to server: "GateWars: Battle of the Ascended"
reborn
Forum Elite
ID: 0

Re: Tourney number 50

Mental wrote:
Clockwork wrote:
Master_Splinter wrote:Well talking about the final rewards of this arena, I would like to see the community truly work together for a common goal. It has been shown no matter the type of arena everyone would rather see a friend win then play the scenario of the game(feeding, not helping others, not sharing info). I believe if there is an individual winner then we will see the normal divisions within our community working for their members to win.

What I would like to see is something that benefits everyone who plays and the the real goal is to have enjoy the arena with everyone. ie no big winner at the end

Closest we have to that is the plague, but even then players will be players and most seem more interested in sabotage rather than working together for a larger collective reward.
Killing the higher ranked bots as a team is not sabotage, It makes the prize better for all, Sitting doing nothing for over a week is not the idea unless you are playing for yourself.
Yes that would be working together.

Ones sit and do nothing would be the ones sabotaging it for the own good and not making the prize bigger for the rest.

Might not see it that way but it is, more u kill the bigger the prize.

Sit and do nothing smaller the prize. Not that hard to gasp :smt047
Image x2 :smt081
Spoiler
teesdale wrote:im going to start calling you Mathod man... because i swear to god your as dense as Mathlord is when it comes to arguing.

Ignore valid points from everyone else and believe your own verbal diarrhea, the pair of you.
i just accidently abandoned that planet i just took
[02:02] Scott - Harch - :

<<< **Filtered** MY LIFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Clockwork
The Ablest Man
Alliance: Multiverse
Race: Clockwork Admin
ID: 1940718

reborn wrote:
Mental wrote:
Clockwork wrote:
Master_Splinter wrote:Well talking about the final rewards of this arena, I would like to see the community truly work together for a common goal. It has been shown no matter the type of arena everyone would rather see a friend win then play the scenario of the game(feeding, not helping others, not sharing info). I believe if there is an individual winner then we will see the normal divisions within our community working for their members to win.

What I would like to see is something that benefits everyone who plays and the the real goal is to have enjoy the arena with everyone. ie no big winner at the end

Closest we have to that is the plague, but even then players will be players and most seem more interested in sabotage rather than working together for a larger collective reward.
Killing the higher ranked bots as a team is not sabotage, It makes the prize better for all, Sitting doing nothing for over a week is not the idea unless you are playing for yourself.
Yes that would be working together.

Ones sit and do nothing would be the ones sabotaging it for the own good and not making the prize bigger for the rest.

Might not see it that way but it is, more u kill the bigger the prize.

Sit and do nothing smaller the prize. Not that hard to gasp :smt047

Ah this old chestnut again. Survive longer, more prize for everybody. Kill off the bots trying to increase a multiplier that on a good day will never result in more prize pool than half a days survival, and run out of easy farmable life force and everybody dies. Run the numbers yourself, its not that hard to gasp :smt047

Anyway, I was more referring to the deliberate attempts to infect others or snipe life force after somebody else makes a direct assault.

Regardless, that's going off topic regarding ideas for Tournament 50.
Admin for all the Forum things...
Click Me for forum rules.
Click Me for Game admin contact details.
reborn
Forum Elite

I don't need to run the numbers, you do not have to drain bots to survive.

Did u not find that out yourself the last 2-3 days playing the last game?

Its what we have been trying to show others for last few plagues.....
Spoiler
teesdale wrote:im going to start calling you Mathod man... because i swear to god your as dense as Mathlord is when it comes to arguing.

Ignore valid points from everyone else and believe your own verbal diarrhea, the pair of you.

Master_Splinter
Forum Irregular
Alliance: TF HC
Race: Tollan
ID: 1936322

Sol wrote:And everyone wants world peace, but the nature of humans say otherwise :razz:.

As clock said, plague is geared towards the very idea. The more people work together the bigger reward. But people don't.
On the flip side we have 1v1 where people don't even have the option to work with each other.

These tournaments exist.
The problem with the community working together in the plague arena is that many people (myself included) don't real care for the extra DMU from lasting longer with the kill multiplier. I play for the glory and demi-god that comes for an arena win, this is what stops the community truly working together for that goal.

If we need to have some kind of recognition for the people who succeed in this arena, I recommend that we have several lists of top kills ie (planets kills, life force destroyed... ) and no demi-god awards for winners. Arena awards always corrupts cooperative play(as i said in my last post), I think this is an important point which must be addressed, to make this arena something really special to remember.

please no 1st place awards
Such is Life
00:46:30 on 22nd Jun Executed EnterTheLion
06:03:41 on 4th Apr Descended High Empty
2013 Award
Spoiler

2012 Award
Spoiler
Mar 15, 23:04 Kikaz Destroy Military Repelled 6,283,641,911
hokiehomeboy: i taught MS many things, along the way he learned to be a bad ass mother **Filtered**
Ascended Arena Wins: 5
Sol
Forum Addict

Master_Splinter wrote: If we need to have some kind of recognition for the people who succeed in this arena, I recommend that we have several lists of top kills ie (planets kills, life force destroyed... ) and no demi-god awards for winners. Arena awards always corrupts cooperative play(as i said in my last post), I think this is an important point which must be addressed, to make this arena something really special to remember.

please no 1st place awards
Not everyone plays the arena for the glory, I bet quite a few would stop playing.

The top lists would be no better than the awards. It just as easily promotes one-sided destruction. Anyway, at the heart of the tournament, the very idea, is to win through any means. Whether it be through short or long alliances or backstabbing your best buddy.

I see the awards as just a driver for something that would otherwise occur.

What you really want, and I've been really thinking about, is either a tournament that promotes unbiased player destruction or no inter-player destruction at all. Really getting to the heart of game play and not small things surrounding the issue.
The plague satisfies the latter (to some extent). The former can be achieved if everyone is 'swinging blind' (which is hard to do unless some blind spots are truly made), or a 1v1 set-up is created (enforcement). Which it exists. Albeit a long tourney :P.
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.
Master_Splinter
Forum Irregular

Sol wrote: Not everyone plays the arena for the glory, I bet quite a few would stop playing.
Didnt say everyone but yes we are lucky everyone is not as shallow as me, when im in the mood to win.
Sol wrote:The top lists would be no better than the awards. It just as easily promotes one-sided destruction. Anyway, at the heart of the tournament, the very idea, is to win through any means. Whether it be through short or long alliances or backstabbing your best buddy.

I see the awards as just a driver for something that would otherwise occur.
I think the list would be ok if not hyped up to much but I see your point people will do anything to get a bigger number next 2 their name. A good counter to this I believe is a real threat to bring the groups of people together to fight a common foe.
Sol wrote: What you really want, and I've been really thinking about, is either a tournament that promotes unbiased player destruction
Yes :)
Sol wrote:or no inter-player destruction at all.
No
Sol wrote: Really getting to the heart of game play and not small things surrounding the issue.
The plague satisfies the latter (to some extent). The former can be achieved if everyone is 'swinging blind' (which is hard to do unless some blind spots are truly made), or a 1v1 set-up is created (enforcement). Which it exists. Albeit a long tourney :P.
Now for the record this idea to take away awards for individuals is only for the 50th arena special and does not work for the other arena types, so dont get me wrong. I just want this one arena where we all come together under one flag, then after we can go back to killing each other :-D
Such is Life
2013 Award
Spoiler

2012 Award
Spoiler
hokiehomeboy: i taught MS many things, along the way he learned to be a bad ass mother **Filtered**
Sol
Forum Addict

Master_Splinter wrote: Didnt say everyone but yes we are lucky everyone is not as shallow as me, when im in the mood to win.
I wasn't pointing out your flaws :P, people play the game for many different reasons, and they play how they want to. For the arena, quite a few people play for the award, and I bet if it was removed only a few would play (if we took into account achievements as well).
Master_Splinter wrote: Now for the record this idea to take away awards for individuals is only for the 50th arena special and does not work for the other arena types, so dont get me wrong. I just want this one arena where we all come together under one flag, then after we can go back to killing each other :-D
What arena though?
We could test it I suppose.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Master_Splinter
Forum Irregular

I still think people would join an arena with no in-game awards if there is a grate story and their is some hype around the 50th arena. To test this out before hand besides asking people if they would join would be hard I think, but the best idea I can come up with is:

The 49th arena: Plague type
*No 1st, 2nd and 3rd awards
*DMU for how long you stay in still active
*Story intro for 50th arena / hype / riddle / questions?
*If we all work together and kill all the bots / big DMU bonus for all and super hype revel for 50th arena that will help us plan for the up coming battles
Such is Life
2013 Award
Spoiler

2012 Award
Spoiler
Sol
Forum Addict

I was planning to do a no rewards arena. But I sort of forgot. Didn't keep up with the arenas...
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Master_Splinter
Forum Irregular

Sol wrote:I was planning to do a no rewards arena. But I sort of forgot. Didn't keep up with the arenas...
All good sol :P keep up the hard work mate. Cant wait to see what you will do for this 50th... which cant be far away now
Such is Life
2013 Award
Spoiler

2012 Award
Spoiler
Clockwork
The Ablest Man
Alliance: Multiverse
Race: Clockwork Admin
ID: 1940718

If you want a cool prize that does not 'reward' the winner with stats or resources, how about immortalising the winner within the game.

For example, add the winners name to the pool of available demigod names, and/or add an ingame record of the winners of the 'special' event's. Maybe a custom colour for their name in the cosmos, something cosmetic.
Admin for all the Forum things...
Click Me for forum rules.
Click Me for Game admin contact details.
Sol
Forum Addict

Master_Splinter wrote:
Sol wrote:I was planning to do a no rewards arena. But I sort of forgot. Didn't keep up with the arenas...
All good sol :P keep up the hard work mate. Cant wait to see what you will do for this 50th... which cant be far away now
Honestly haven't had the time to make anything fantastic. I might even postpone the 50th to make it better.
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
Master_Splinter
Forum Irregular

Sol wrote:
Master_Splinter wrote:
Honestly haven't had the time to make anything fantastic. I might even postpone the 50th to make it better.
If it takes longer to make it better then thats the best plan. Mayb starting at the 50th arena we start getting some of the story and/or things to start build hype for the story
Such is Life
2013 Award
Spoiler

2012 Award
Spoiler
Sol
Forum Addict

So I've opted to go with the zombie/plague tourney.

Now I'm stuck between two options:

When people are turned into zombies do they become invincible (i.e. they can't be killed, and their soul purpose is to kill others - like bots). This option is feasible simply because the idea of plague is to die eventually anyway.
Or
When people are turned into zombies they effectively gain 'another life' (sole purpose is the same still - to kill others), but people can kill the zombie like a bot.
No bonus benefit will be gained from killing the zombified people - like bots (it can be abused if there is and I would have to rescale prizes anyway).
Field Marshall wrote:
Really?
reborn
Forum Elite

As long as I can kill ppl either works :D

Im guessing there would be a way to try an keep yourself alive if u was a zombie an active, so if that's the case I don't see why we cant kill zombies too.
Spoiler

Return to “Ascended General”