A beginners guide to Quantum

every way is different ... yet there are some basics :)
HippyFool
Forum Elder

This is a beginners guide to quantum. It contains a brief description of almost everything you can see or click in the game.

For more detailed explanations and answers, please see this FAQ thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=184039&p=2327649#p2327649

P.S. If you get some useful info from this thread, a simple thanks is always nice :roll:

This is a work in progress so:

1) I may have made some mistakes, please correct me,

2) If anything is hard to understand, let me know

3) If I am missing anything, or there is something else you want to know, let me know.

Command Centre

Race: Can be changed at bottom right of screen - click "Change Race".

Commander:

3 options each with a different bonus:

Own-commander - bonus 20% to raw UP

No commander - bonus 10% to raw UP, bonus 20% to income

Someone else as commander - 0% bonus to UP, 30% of their income bonus

Unit Production: e.g. 1,000 / day (1,200 total) - 1000 is RAW UP, 1200 is TOTAL UP. You will receive 1200 units per day at 25 per turn (1200/48).

Resources: Naq on hand (that people can steal)

Turn Resource Production: Naq generated per turn. (increased by number of mining bot [miners])

Attack turns: Turns used to attack people (to take naq, or destroy their defense)

Covert capacity: spying uses 1, sabotage uses 3. If under 100, replenishes at 3 per turn.

Real Alert Level:

Increases covert defense (to defend against sabotage).

Lowers income.

Increases a time delay of up to 10 seconds between how often people can attack you (useful if getting massed)

Max - 60% loss of income, 40% increase in covert protection

Example: If your covert is 100, someone would need 101 covert to sabotage you. If you put on max, your covert becomes 100x40% = 140 so they would need 141 covert to sabotage you.
High, med, mine are the same relative to their %s

Officers: You can have a max of 8

Reduces your income by 30%, increases your total UP by approx 6% of officers UP, per officer.

e.g. You have 1,000 income and 200 total UP, 1 officer has 100 raw UP and 100 income. If they become your officer: Your income goes down by 30% to 700, theirs goes up 300 to 400. Their raw UP stays at 100, your UP goes up 100x6% = 6 to 206.

e.g.2 You have 1,000 income and 200 total UP, 8 officers have 100 raw UP and 100 income. If they become your officer: your income goes down by 30% to 700 and EACH of their incomes increase by 300/8= 37.5 to 137.5 each. Their raw UP stays at 100, your UP goes up by (100x6%)x8 = 48 to 248

Galactic power: the sum of all your stats' power (offense, defense, covert, anti covert, mothership). This is your contribution to your alliance power.

Offense: (more commonly referred to as 'attack'): a factor of your attack weapons and attack techs (weapons need to be 'manned' - if you have 100 attack weapons, you need 100 trained attackers - see "training" section)

Defense: same as attack, but with defense weapons/units/techs

Covert: a factor of your covert level, covert techs, and the amount of spies you have trained

Anti-Covert: A factor of your AC level, AC techs, and the amount of assassins you have trained.

Mothership: A factor of your Volley and Shield MS weapons, and your MS techs.

QuantumVerse Glory: Glory (GnR) points earned that wave (changes throughout the era)

QuantumSelf Glory: Sum of all GnR points earned over all waves (updates at the end of each era)

Note: How to earn GnR: GnR is based on your rank and is earned as follows:

rank 1: 10 per turn
rank 2-10: 5 per turn
rank 11-100: 1 per turn
rank 101-200: 0 per turn
rank 201+: -1 per turn (negative one)

Verse GnR will decrease if your rank is worse than 201 but cannot go below 0. Self GnR cannot be lost.

Galactic Attack Logs: Shows you the 'attacking' activity of everyone, delayed by a few minutes.

Personnel:
(note that they have different names depending on race)

1) Non-super attack unit - CAN be untrained, mans weapons, dies faster than supers, less powerful.
2) Super attack unit - CANNOT be untrained, mans weapons, 2x as powerful as Non-supers
3) Attack Merc (see "Market" > "Merc Market" - same as (1) but dies faster
4) Defense Merc - Same as attack merc, but defense
5) Same as (1) but for defense
6) Same as (2) but for defense
7) Untrained Units (UU) - created at 1/48th of your UP per turn - Can be trained into any other unit
8) Miner - Generates the most income
9) Spies - Increases covert power (amount depends on cov techs and cov level)
10) Assassins - Increase AC power (amount depends on cov techs and AC level)
11) Total Fighting force - the sum of 1-10

Note: 1,2,7,8,10 CANNOT be destroyed by OTHER people. 1,2,10 CAN be destroyed by YOURSELF. Miners and UU are the only thing that cannot be destroyed at all.

Attack

Name: the person's name (click for options)

Galactic rank: A person's overall rank. Rank is calculated as such:
Sum of Offense, Defense, Covert, Anti-Covert, MS ranks, divided by 5, with the lowest overall number having the rank 1 spot. Hence, best you can have is rank 1 in all = 1+1+1+1+1/5 = 5

Population: each person's Total Fighting Force

Race: Can be changes to anything by user

Race Family: Persons actual race (Parasitic/Goauld - 20% income bonus, Asgard - 30% defense bonus, Artificial Intelligence/ Replicator - 20% cov/AC bonus, Human/Tauri - 35% attack bonus)

Wealth: The amount of resources that each person has out: can be stolen if you attack them with higher attack than their defense.

Attack Log

Simply shows all the attacks on you in the last 10 days, and all the attacks that you have done in the last 10 days.

Armory

Outfit Mothership: Allows you to build/buy MS volleys and shields

Current Weapon Inventory: Shows all of your attack and defense weapons

Buy Weapons: Allows you to buy attack and defense weapons.

Note: Stronger weapons require less units, but give less power per naq spent. Generally the strongest 4 attack, and strongest 3 defense weapons are the only ones worth buying. The exception would be if there was an era where there was proportionally way more UU than naq.

Training

Current Intelligence Skill (Spy level): Increases covert power by approx 1.4 per level.

Starts at level 0 at a very cheap cost. cost doubles per level. e.g. if it costs 1000 to get to level 1, then it will be 2000 to level 2, 4000 to level 3, 8000 to level 4 etc

Current Counter-Intelligence Skill (AC level): Same as spy level, but increases AC.

Unit Production: Increases your RAW unit production. Will become cheaper as the TOP UP increases above your own, to a max of 50% of normal cost if you are half (or less than half) of the top UP.

Train your troops: See personnel in Command Centre section.

Rehabilitation Center: Used to untrain units - all units can be untrained except for super attack or defense units.

Technology

Current Internoded Linked Power Cells: Increases the stated stat by a certain amount ( see "calculations" section for exact increase amounts.)

Note: Like UP, techs grow cheaper as the top Tech increases above your own tech.

Current Technology: Should all be bought within the first week or so of the wave, except "Mercenary Command", which is generally useless.

Intelligence

Simply shows people that have sabotaged you, or failed at sabotaging/spying you, as well as all of your sabotage or spying missions.

Market

Mercenary market: Useless in most waves, but can be used to buy mercenaries.

Supporter bonus: Options that can be used ONCE per week.

Acquire 3360 attack turns: BEST OPTION *IF* income from farming with turns is proportionally better than income from your own income (generated by your miners)

Invite *your total UP* Untrained Units: BEST OPTION *IF* income from your own income (generated by miners) is proportionally better than farming with turns.

Increase all Power Cell Tech by XXX each: USELESS.

Increase bank by 20% of initial size: Useful if you are not playing a wave properly and want to increase your bank size for future waves (Yes this increase lasts FOREVER)

Create Enemy Polarized Shield on ID: Makes it impossible for a person (whatever ID you put in) to attack/sab/spy you in any way - e.g. they can't hurt you.

Remove Polarized shield on/from ID: Negates the effect of a polar shield

Press this button - it's free!: USELESS

Get 24 hours PPT: WASTE OF A WEEKLY MARKET TURN (except in rare situations)

Get 2x24 hours PPT: WASTE OF A WEEKLY MARKET TURN (except in rare situations)

ReAssign 10% of your mining Bot to Unassigned Spider: USELESS

Convert all etc etc: (USELESS)

Market trades: Can be used ONCE per day (although there is a bug at the moment that lets you use it twice per day).

Buy Turns for xxxxxxxxx Naquadah each: This is the only useful daily market option. The cost of turns is dependent on your UP (higher UP = higher cost of turns)

Buy Human Form Units with Turns: USELESS

Buy Miners with Turns: USELESS

Calculations

Note: In the attack power calculation, for example, the 1.5 and 1.6 come from the "siege attack" tech you buy at the start which increase your attack by 50% and 60% each.

Note2: I have not included race bonus': Tauri is a further x1.35 on attack, asgard is a further x1.3 on defense, repli is a further 20% on cov/AC (although cov/AC have weird calculations now)

Attack power: (weapon power x amount of weapons) x ([techs+100]/10) x 1.5 x 1.6

Example: Using 1000 top weapons (278,571 power each), with 1,000 techs =
(278,571 x 1,000) = 278,571,000 x ([1000+100]/10) = 30,642,810,000 x 1.5 x 1.6 = 73,542,744,000

Defense power: same as attack power but with defense weapons.

Covert power: Currently undetermined

Mothership power: [(MS offense weapons x 1,990,000) + (MS defense weapons x 2990000)] x ([techs+100]/10)

OR, simply the 2 numbers under your MS power on command centre page added together and then times by ([techs+100]/10).

Last edited by Forum on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: took out the "sticky this" part in the title >.>

MSN = paddy_pan@hotmail.com

Naq sold to date: 6168tril

Trade Feedback- http://herebegames.com/StarGateWarsNew/ ... 8&t=105680 :)
ElgCaress
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: The Devine
ID: 0

Re: A guide for Quantum...

We wanna know everything! :smt112
EnVy!
Forum Irregular

Most questions are always the same...
How do they know how many spies to send to sab?
How do they get and use UP calculator?
What percent in attack against defense Is needed to mass someone at a minimum?
Also most people think AC is good for defense against something instead of just spy killing
How do you calculate top UP without spying?
How long does vacation mode last? And when you come off... Are u on ppt?
What's the order to mass would be good to those who don't know
When to AC someone also
How long should they focus on UP in order to compete at end?
Is it better to farm turns early in week to get UP quicker or wait til end of week when farms are higher?
How do you find out if a player changed his name?
When is admin meeting? How do you get there ?
whats the amount of spies lost per sab? what if i fail?
how many to send to spy?
is it good to have a commander?

I know most all of this but newer players prob don't. If the newer players would go to forums would help but right now they have been slow so not do much good
Last edited by EnVy! on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOBODY IS PERFECT...
I'M NOBODY
Abhi
Forum Irregular

Well, this is my first time back on Quantum since the last time I was here about 3 years ago. (My old acc got deleted and I forgot almost everything) I know that I feel like a n00b sometimes with the silly things I do. So, I would actually ask all of the questions Envy did. In fact, I didnt even know you can find the top UP without spying...

And it would be good to know about strategies that will help you last the entire wave and end up in good rankings.
HippyFool
Forum Elder

Post edited. Content now in first post.
Last edited by HippyFool on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abhi
Forum Irregular

This looks great Hippy!

Question about a part of it:

Hippy wrote:Note: Stronger weapons require less units, but give less power per naq spent. Generally the strongest 4 attack, and strongest 3 defense weapons are the only ones worth buying. The exception would be if there was an era where there was proportionally way more UU than naq.

Can you explain this further? Do you mean to say that buying the strongest weapon in each class is waste?

Also, can you explain how you can calculate top UP without spying?
HippyFool
Forum Elder

Abhi, I have explained in detail the answer to your question about weapons here:
(Questions 5)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=184039&p=2327649#p2327649

Your question about calculating top UP will have to wait until tomorrow as I am now tired lol.

Also, thanks for replying, hopefuly I can get these 2 threads a bit more active. So please:

1) Post as many questions as you can/want to on the FAQ thread.

2) Let as many people as possible know about these 2 threads so they can read and post their own questions.

Thanks!

HippyFool
Forum Elder

Re: A beginners guide to Quantum (MOD PLS STICKY THIS)

Bump. Hopefuly a mod can sticky this :)

Neocortex
Forum Newbie

Re: A beginners guide to Quantum

Thanks for the guide Hippy.
Do you plan on updating the guide each era?

Neo--
HippyFool
Forum Elder

Neocortex wrote:Thanks for the guide Hippy.
Do you plan on updating the guide each era?

Neo--

Yes, although most of this stuff doesn't change. Check out the FAQ section I made...that is the one that will be more useful as it is a bit more interactive :)

Affirmation
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: The Magnificents
Race: Ancient
ID: 42530
Alternate name(s): Affy 'Bad Affy' or just Crazy Old Man Affy

Should I create an appropriate Addendum section on:

"Affy's Guide to Screwing Up A Great Quantum Era"

and give the newbies all the Tips and Tricks that I have acquired in 6 years of frakking up Quantum Eras??

At least I could have the eternal pleasure of knowing that my idiocy, stupidity, and numb-nuttednezz over lo these many Q Eras could at least maybe prevent someone from making the similar mistakes? Or maybe a Mistakes Hall-of-Shame?? HAHA

Just a thought... :smt100

'Bad Affy' sez: Q-Friends don't let Q-friendtards play Q intelligently... :smt018

P.S. Just a quick note to let everyone know that another blazing hot summer of lightning strikes and broken-down customer sites, and 90 plus hour RL work-weeks has not killed Old-Man Affy (yet...) this cruel blistering summer here in Florida, USA! Sure hasn't left much time for Q and Forums though? (But Mrs. Affy spending my overtime like blue-blazes... HAHA) :smt089
What Happened to my Siggy????

Damn it Bernie!!

Affy? or 'Bad Affy'...:
Spoiler
What in the H E double LL happened to the Siggy's???

Affirmation wrote:Should I create an appropriate Addendum section on:

"Affy's Guide to Screwing Up A Great Quantum Era"

and give the newbies all the Tips and Tricks that I have acquired in 6 years of frakking up Quantum Eras??

At least I could have the eternal pleasure of knowing that my idiocy, stupidity, and numb-nuttednezz over lo these many Q Eras could at least maybe prevent someone from making the similar mistakes?

Yes please!

It would help to know what to do and what NOT to do.
Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Lone wolf
Race: Slovenian
ID: 82089

Moved to the new section where this now belongs.

~Jack
Haz wrote:It took a bit of time, but the investigation has now been completed.
S1eepy will be banned for scripting, for the remainder of this era.
Name: S1eepy [ TheCheekyChickens ]
{Banned}
2012 Awards awarded to me:
Spoiler

Return to “Tips and Tricks”