Regarding the IP visibility..

Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Lone wolf
Race: Slovenian
ID: 82089

Regarding the IP visibility..

Since the topic is locked I'm posting replies here..
Why post the encryption process at all? Just leaves more doors to be opened and more people to get ideas on how to do things.. The encryption could also use random numbers instead of fixed numbers (with the DB recording which random number was used for which IP), that way community could still aid in catching feeders and it would be impossible to get other IPs. I also hope that those who were at fault for disclosing the necessary information or those who abused the information will be severely punished (a cross-server punishment would be more than justified imho) since that is a serious breach of privacy.

Also you say game cops, then just mention Arty and Crixus.. EtL was given a Game Cop position by Jason and as far as I remember he didn't remove Hippy's or Goo's accesses, in case they became active again. Seeing how I was the only one to quit the role and EtL's thread saying he's the game cop still being a sticky thread I, and other Q players I am sure, would like to know whether the Game Cops are Arty, Crixus, Etl, Hippy and Goo or whether only Arty and Crixus have the Game Cop access (and in that case I recommend removing/editing the relevant threads to make sure the info corresponds to the current state of affairs).

~Jack
Haz wrote:It took a bit of time, but the investigation has now been completed.
S1eepy will be banned for scripting, for the remainder of this era.
Name: S1eepy [ TheCheekyChickens ]
{Banned}
2012 Awards awarded to me:
Spoiler
Kikaz
For the Lulz
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: Lulz
ID: 3471
Alternate name(s): Misery

Re: Regarding the IP visibility..

If you fully read the post and did not skim you would see that it wouldn't matter what random "number" was used, it would still be far too easy to crack the code. I've honestly never got so worked up over a game to try to find anyones IP or want to find out where they lived. Though I see your point about posting that information for all, but as it was compromised and personal information was obtained, the players that had their IP compromised do deserve to know how it was done, that the administration of Kingdom Games did not give this information to anyone, and that it was removed from the game promptly after it was found to be not as secure as we believed.

However, I do believe all game cops except Arty and Crixus have been removed, due to skype convos in the last ten days.
Quotes
Meanwhile in MaYHeM
Duderanch wrote:And so it would come to pass, in December of 2012 the war between the ponies and the pandas broke out..it lasted 21 days, the result? Armagedon.
Noobert wrote:Kikaz scares me at times, and he's in my own alliance.
Dr. House wrote:I HAVE THE POWER! The power to warn, and I will **Filtered** use it too.
Kateaclysmic wrote: I thought you loved me, Kikaz. I'm getting an abortion.
Sarevok wrote:
Kikaz wrote:Ridiculous.
Congrats on the most constructive post ever...
Affirmation wrote: And Speaking of bad boys (the baddest)... Kikaz is right, Q is a family, and Affy is the love child of Kikaz and Kateaclysmic!! That is right... I am NOT AN ABORTION... but she never nursed me and Kikaz stopped being a terrible father figure to Affy years ago... Family - HA... Affy's old arse...[-X

Where is the love Kikaz??? WHERE IS THE LOVE (Dad... :smt047 ) ??? [-(
I creep though shadows
I rise up at night
I live just inside you
And give you a terrible fright
I walk through the darkness
I lurk under your bed
I live in your wardrobe
I creep up in the shed.
I tiptoe through the corridor
I follow you anywhere
I rip your braveness apart
And never ever care
I am fear so don't come near..
2007 Quantum Player of the Year Runner-up - 2011 Villian of the Year - 2012 Hall of Fame - 2012 Quantum Player of the Year Runner-up - Leader and Co-founder of the 2014 Alliance of the Year
Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie

If a random number was used (meaning each IP would be multiplied by a different random number) one could reverse engineer the process for themselves but couldn't divide the number in GAL with the same number as they used to divide theirs as it would yield wrong results (say the random number for my IP would be 5, for your's it would be 11.6 for instance, if you'd figure out the number was 11.6 based on your IP and tried to get my IP by dividing the number from GAL with 11.6, you'd get a wrong number to trace and thus a wrong IP). So if a random numbers would be used (1 random number for 1 IP, no 2 numbers being the same), you'd have basically 0 chance of figuring out the correct IP. It'd be the same as assigning a random number between 1 and a million for each IP with the game remembering what random number corresponds which IP address.

Yep you're right, the players that had their IP compromised deserve to know. Other people don't have to know how it happened. If info is given out about security it should only be given out on a need-to-know basis and only to those people.

Good then. Although I see no harm in leaving Hippy with the Game Cop position, seeing how he was put there and is active again, the inactives don't need the position. But I was just wondering, seeing how I had my Game Cop access still there a couple weeks after quitting the position.

~Jack
{Banned}
Spoiler
Kikaz
For the Lulz

A google search could show what support posted, not going to try explaining typing on ps3 controller is hard enough but your idea can also be cracked. If you want to see IPs ask Support to be a game cop again. lol
Quotes
Meanwhile in MaYHeM
Duderanch wrote:And so it would come to pass, in December of 2012 the war between the ponies and the pandas broke out..it lasted 21 days, the result? Armagedon.
Dr. House wrote:I HAVE THE POWER! The power to warn, and I will **Filtered** use it too.
Sarevok wrote:
Affirmation wrote: And Speaking of bad boys (the baddest)... Kikaz is right, Q is a family, and Affy is the love child of Kikaz and Kateaclysmic!! That is right... I am NOT AN ABORTION... but she never nursed me and Kikaz stopped being a terrible father figure to Affy years ago... Family - HA... Affy's old arse...[-X

I creep though shadows
I rise up at night
I live just inside you
I lurk under your bed
I live in your wardrobe
I creep up in the shed.
I follow you anywhere
And never ever care
2007 Quantum Player of the Year Runner-up - 2011 Villian of the Year - 2012 Hall of Fame - 2012 Quantum Player of the Year Runner-up - Leader and Co-founder of the 2014 Alliance of the Year
Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie

Yes, although how many people will actually google it?
Depending on how the idea is implemented (whether through current process and just multiply it with a random number each time or whether each IP gets a random number assigned to it), one couldn't decipher the real, accurate IP, as easily and/or couldn't decipher it at all without hacking the DB. Is it possible? Yep it is, anything can be hacked. The better the security measures, the lesser the chance of people actually hacking it as there are fewer people who are capable of getting through and I doubt the most skilled hackers would go waste their time getting a real IP for someone who got their feelings hurt for being massed.

I stand by my decision to quit the ingame and forum staff. I won't put any more time in helping out someone that doesn't appreciate the help and abuses their powers.

~Jack
{Banned}
Spoiler
Kikaz
For the Lulz

Neimenljivi wrote:Yes, although how many people will actually google it?
Depending on how the idea is implemented (whether through current process and just multiply it with a random number each time or whether each IP gets a random number assigned to it), one couldn't decipher the real, accurate IP, as easily and/or couldn't decipher it at all without hacking the DB. Is it possible? Yep it is, anything can be hacked. The better the security measures, the lesser the chance of people actually hacking it as there are fewer people who are capable of getting through and I doubt the most skilled hackers would go waste their time getting a real IP for someone who got their feelings hurt for being massed.

I stand by my decision to quit the ingame and forum staff. I won't put any more time in helping out someone that doesn't appreciate the help and abuses their powers.

~Jack
Can be done without hacking DB, though if you fail to see how perhaps I should keep my mouth shut incase your idea ever is implanted. All in all good idea but the fact that I coud think of a way so quickly makes me believe others could if they put their minds to work on it. As for your disagreements with the administration, not my business, I am but a player with mod powers on the forums in the spam temple.
Quotes
Meanwhile in MaYHeM
Sarevok wrote:

I creep though shadows
I rise up at night
I live just inside you
I lurk under your bed
I live in your wardrobe
I creep up in the shed.
I follow you anywhere
And never ever care
Diack
Forum Grunt
ID: 0

Dont see what the moaning is about.
Im sure the admins wouldnt of intentionally allowed this to happen. they notified us about it, prevented it from happening again. What more can they do? :(
Siggy courtesy of IFluX :D
HippyFool
Forum Elder

Neimenljivi wrote:
Good then. Although I see no harm in leaving Hippy with the Game Cop position, seeing how he was put there and is active again, the inactives don't need the position. But I was just wondering, seeing how I had my Game Cop access still there a couple weeks after quitting the position.

~Jack

My GameCop privileges were removed ages ago. :)

You can give 'em back if you like? :smt017

MSN = paddy_pan@hotmail.com

Naq sold to date: 6168tril

Trade Feedback- http://herebegames.com/StarGateWarsNew/ ... 8&t=105680 :)
ElgCaress
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: The Devine

In my view, the whole point in displaying the GAL way back then was so that we, as a community, could keep an eye on all the daily activity to make sure feeding stopped.

I agree that displaying IP's are risky and therefor needs to be removed. Is there not another way to 'link' a player instead of using the IP's?

My concerns are for the Game Cops. At the moment there are only 2. To expect them to log on every day and go through 24hours of attack logs, day in and day out, is a bit unfair imho. We do not know what their day is like and some days you just want to log on and bank and log off again.

Having the whole community keep an eye on feeding and suspect behavior made their jobs a bit easier.

Not sure how else we can help them out....
Kikaz
For the Lulz

ElgCaress wrote:

I agree that displaying IP's are risky and therefore needs to be removed. Is there not another way to 'link' a player instead of using the IP's

Sure theres a bunch of things that could be done instead. For example off the top of my head...

Put a red asterick next to name of any player that shares or has shared an IP with another player this wave. If players have IP exception, Green asterick. Asterick clickable and lists all accounts sharing IP like doing a search on battlefield. This way no values are listed to crack and a DB hack would really be only way to obtain IP.
Quotes
Meanwhile in MaYHeM
Sarevok wrote:

I creep though shadows
I rise up at night
I live just inside you
I lurk under your bed
I live in your wardrobe
I creep up in the shed.
I follow you anywhere
And never ever care
HippyFool
Forum Elder

Kikaz wrote:
Put a red asterick next to name of any player that shares or has shared an IP with another player this wave. If players have IP exception, Green asterick. Asterick clickable and lists all accounts sharing IP like doing a search on battlefield. This way no values are listed to crack and a DB hack would really be only way to obtain IP.
This.

MSN = paddy_pan@hotmail.com

Naq sold to date: 6168tril

Trade Feedback- http://herebegames.com/StarGateWarsNew/ ... 8&t=105680 :)
Sol
Forum Addict

regarding the first post (as I skimmed a few others).
I would imagine the reasoning went something like; well people will complain so I may as well show/tell them why, and to 'even the odds' I may as well show them how - why let a few people know how and use that against others.
Since it has now been daylighted I would imagine the process has been decommissioned for any other functions, so no harm to the current flow of the game.

But you're all missing the most simple encryption to verify equality, salted hash digests *yay*.
Which tbh I have absolutely no idea why such a method wasn't used, even if the IP did need to be reversed, it wouldn't be that hard to check it against a logged knowns
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.
Kikaz
For the Lulz

Not missing its been posted elsewhere already.
*Ritalin wrote:
Support wrote: The 'IP' in the Galactic Attack log is an encoded value equivalent to the user's IP. Did you expect it to pick a random value that just coincidentally happens to be the same if you share an IP, without actually being derived from your IP? :? If anyone can propose a way to do that, I would be happy to implement it!
You could always encrypt with a salt, that way we can still see if someone is using the same ip but it can never be decryped.

$userIP ='127.0.0.1';
$salt = //something only you could know;
$encrypedIP = sha1($userIP . $salt);
Quotes
Meanwhile in MaYHeM
Sarevok wrote:

I creep though shadows
I rise up at night
I live just inside you
I lurk under your bed
I live in your wardrobe
I creep up in the shed.
I follow you anywhere
And never ever care
Sol
Forum Addict

ah, very good, then it is only admin to blame! :P
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.

Return to “General”