game cops needed!!

Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Lone wolf
Race: Slovenian
ID: 82089

Re: game cops needed!!

Agreed, the game cop should decide how long does the banning last because some offences can easily get you days of advantage over others and the 1 day of being banned is not a real punishment - it's like a punch in the face and not taking anything from them for those that robbed banks, instead of putting them to jail for a few years and taking all their money.

I don't think game cop should be able to remove ill-gotten goods. This just adds another ability for a game cop gone mental or rouge to abuse his/her powers. The only power should be to ban people - this would be publicly shown and if someone gets resources that would otherwise take a week to gain - well s/he is banned for a week. That way the resources gained will have meant nothing a week later + the banned will not be able to procure any other resources meanwhile.

A player who has been banned 3 times deserves a perma-ban.

~Jack
Haz wrote:It took a bit of time, but the investigation has now been completed.
S1eepy will be banned for scripting, for the remainder of this era.
Name: S1eepy [ TheCheekyChickens ]
{Banned}
2012 Awards awarded to me:
Spoiler
HippyFool
Forum Elder

Neimenljivi wrote:Agreed, the game cop should decide how long does the banning last because some offences can easily get you days of advantage over others and the 1 day of being banned is not a real punishment - it's like a punch in the face and not taking anything from them for those that robbed banks, instead of putting them to jail for a few years and taking all their money.

I don't think game cop should be able to remove ill-gotten goods. This just adds another ability for a game cop gone mental or rouge to abuse his/her powers. The only power should be to ban people - this would be publicly shown and if someone gets resources that would otherwise take a week to gain - well s/he is banned for a week. That way the resources gained will have meant nothing a week later + the banned will not be able to procure any other resources meanwhile.

A player who has been banned 3 times deserves a perma-ban.

~Jack

Ok fair point...but what about this current problem with blain feeding people without them wanting to be fed...

You can ban him, but it isn't fair to ban them...but they may have still gotten loads of resources!

EDIT- although this will only be a problem this era!

MSN = paddy_pan@hotmail.com

Naq sold to date: 6168tril

Trade Feedback- http://herebegames.com/StarGateWarsNew/ ... 8&t=105680 :)
GhostyGoo
Forum Addict
Alliance: 5PYM45T3R
Race: HE WHO KEEPS ME HERE
ID: 0
Location: ZOOMING THROUGH YOUR EGO AT A ZILLION MILES AN HOUR

Honours and Awards

Wow. Thanks for the votes folk - i was a little apprehensive about putting myself forwards because i kinda thought no one would either remember me or know me well enough. Even if i'm not appointed i'll still try to be helpful and vigilant.

EDIT: Also, worth a mention, i am quite positive that this job can be done to a satisfactory accuracy using only the tools that are available already (ban hammer notwithstanding, of course).
ImageImageImage
Spoiler
GhostyGoo wrote:Yesno.
the3rdlibra wrote:if it's a silly turnip head competition you want, i'm going to decline as i think i may have met my match in you vegetable brains.
Cersei Lannister wrote:Debasing? I am not the one drawing crazy pictures of force fielded stick figures.
Energise
Magical Monkeys & Grapefruit Migration:|:Hallowed are the Gò.Ó'ri™ **fixed**
ElgCaress
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: The Devine

Forum wrote:...

when they hit the magic button, the user is banned for 24hours times the number of bans they now have (ie first ban is 1, so 1x24hours).

so the 2nd ban would be 48hours, and so on. one cannot (should not) ban for old (ie before the last ban) faults...just ones since the last ban ended.

Sorry but I do not fully agree with this suggestion.

Whats the worst that can happen in this game? Doing something dishonest that will give you an advantage above the rest. I seriously would not want to have a player like that playing alongside me in Q. The Rules are clear. You get fed, you are banned. Simple.

Ok, want to show some leniency instead of a straight out ban?...strip that player of all that he/she has achieved and give him the same resources as a farm. Let him/her start from scratch. That can be the penalty to a player who chose to cheat in the first place.

Calculating and then taking away resources that was gained by the feedings are a waste of time. Why in the world would we wanna do that for a cheater? He/She does not deserve the time and effort from the Admin and/or Game Cops.

I agree with Hippy, for this era alone those calculations can be done for those that were fed against their wishes. Unfortunately they will have gained a big advantage else he would not have mentioned it.

I know my post might come across as a tad harsh but I do not see the point in trying to keep cheaters in our game by giving them 2nd and 3rd chances. Get rid of them so the rest of us can enjoy a good, clean game.
GhostyGoo
Forum Addict

Honours and Awards

ElgCaress wrote:strip that player of all that he/she has achieved and give him the same resources as a farm. Let him/her start from scratch. That can be the penalty to a player who chose to cheat in the first place.

Actually i think this is a very very clever idea and, i think (with my limited knowledge of coding), one that can be easily incorporated into a ban button. I think that a "return to scratch" button as opposed to a ban button would actually be even more cleverer than it first seems:

It would hopefully act as a deterent, also be a valid punishment but give the player the option of redemption without (i would hope) players forming vendettas outside of rolepley and, very importantly, it would remove the resources from the game completely negating the discussion on need for game cops to be able to affect the database in a more complicated way. I think "return to scratch" is very fitting with the speed and nature of quantum, i think its perfect.

+1 Elg, top class :)
ImageImageImage
Spoiler
the3rdlibra wrote:if it's a silly turnip head competition you want, i'm going to decline as i think i may have met my match in you vegetable brains.
Cersei Lannister wrote:Debasing? I am not the one drawing crazy pictures of force fielded stick figures.
Energise
HippyFool
Forum Elder

GhostyGoo wrote:
ElgCaress wrote:strip that player of all that he/she has achieved and give him the same resources as a farm. Let him/her start from scratch. That can be the penalty to a player who chose to cheat in the first place.

Actually i think this is a very very clever idea and, i think (with my limited knowledge of coding), one that can be easily incorporated into a ban button. I think that a "return to scratch" button as opposed to a ban button would actually be even more cleverer than it first seems:

It would hopefully act as a deterent, also be a valid punishment but give the player the option of redemption without (i would hope) players forming vendettas outside of rolepley and, very importantly, it would remove the resources from the game completely negating the discussion on need for game cops to be able to affect the database in a more complicated way. I think "return to scratch" is very fitting with the speed and nature of quantum, i think its perfect.

+1 Elg, top class :)

If said button comes into existence...it needs to have an "are you SURE" message pop up, and if you click yes to that another "ARE YOU SURE" message to appear again.

Don't want no accidental clicks of that like the good old days of wiping your entire farm list in Q/Main that had taken half a year to create!

3 are you sure messages probably wouldn't even be too much!...and a tick box!..and 5 mins to cancel it if you screw it up! Anyway, you get my point.

GhostyGoo
Forum Addict

Honours and Awards

Game cops would be human and there will always be a risk of mistake but i'd like to think that the mistake would be one of overwhelming evidence in the case of of someone sadly innocent and, therefore, by its very nature a rarity as opposed to simply waking up one morning a bit groggy and resetting someone's account instead of buying 20k miners!

I'm sure that, to dispel hysteria, it has to be said that the process would be reversible in such a rare case.

I would think that i would not use the button without first conversing with the other gamecop for a second opinion; i guess that is one very good reason for having a pair of cops. I certainly wouldn't take action before the evidence had been reviewed by my colleague.
ImageImageImage
Spoiler
Energise
devildog
Fledgling Forumer
Race: USMC
ID: 82504101

The "return to scratch" is an outstanding idea...
I think to be fair to the person who is accused of cheating, they should get a notice that they are about to be reset.
As well as a time table for them to refute any evidence and a chance to state their case.
Once this time table has passed the Gate Cops(GC) can vote (via the "return to scratch" button).
Said individual would be returned to scratch either through a unanimous or majority vote from GC.
Just some elaboration on current idea's...
Its nice to see the excitement that is being generated against game cheats.
-=DD=-
Scenester
Forum Regular

So how many more era's is it going to take before we got these cops...
Mothership The PukingRainbow
Jimbo 5.3
Fledgling Forumer
Alternate name(s): Jimbo5point3

Don't worry, the cops are already making themselves known! blain hasn't attacked an active account in roughly a week and a half (about as long as the "Game Cops" section has existed)!
Scenester
Forum Regular

Jimbo 5.3 wrote:Don't worry, the cops are already making themselves known! blain hasn't attacked an active account in roughly a week and a half (about as long as the "Game Cops" section has existed)!

Im being sabbed with blaine's units though, through the main account _nitro_ ...
For small amounts of naq, obviously doesn't care about loses because it ain't really his units.
GhostyGoo
Forum Addict

Honours and Awards

I'm being pressumptious so forgive me if i am also being dim. He is sabbing you in quantum with a lower happiness than you (and thus beyond your control) feeding your account? Certainly a problem for this era. Sooner _Nitro_ is taken to task the better. Very shady character.

Does raise an interesting point though - i would not, as both player and cop, like to see global covert logs...
:smt099

-Goo™ (hypothetically, of course)
ImageImageImage
Spoiler
Energise
Scenester
Forum Regular

GhostyGoo wrote:I'm being pressumptious so forgive me if i am also being dim. He is sabbing you in quantum with a lower happiness than you (and thus beyond your control) feeding your account? Certainly a problem for this era. Sooner _Nitro_ is taken to task the better. Very shady character.

Does raise an interesting point though - i would not, as both player and cop, like to see global covert logs...
:smt099

-Goo™ (hypothetically, of course)

No...
Blain gave dozens of units to Nitro (He moved units from his one account to the other, to put it differently) which the main account nitro now uses to sab for the lulz. It ain't the units he got rightfully so doesn't care if lost whilest my weapons r reduced to pulp.

Oh boy can't wait for his reply to this, yes he will.
GhostyGoo
Forum Addict

Honours and Awards

Thank-you for clarification, i understand now.

I know we don't often see eye to eye but i'm sorry that your game is being unfairly affected during this transitional period. Shame we couldn't have had game cops appointed sooner, eh? Too much deliberation as always.
ImageImageImage
Spoiler
Energise
HippyFool
Forum Elder

Scenester wrote:So how many more era's is it going to take before we got these cops...

A few posts up admin said he would leave voting till end of the week! So a bit over 24 hours from now he should appoint them! :D

Return to “For Admin -Bugs”