Ingame chat

For discussion on balance, bugs, likes, dislikes of recently released features.
Sol
Forum Addict
ID: 0

Ingame chat

Giving it a test run for public use, top left 'ingame chat', php simple and nice.
Don't abuse it, it's why it's only being test run.

It's fairly primitive, but any suggestions? Yes, it has to have a little flash when it refreshes because it needs to retrieve the post data, ideally I don't want to code it to save info to peoples computers, just makes things difficult, and it needs to check back anyway for mods removing naughty posts.

Auto refresh rate is at about 8 secs, I could probably change it to give people a choice of when they want it to happen. Would you care or not?
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.
Drought
Forum Expert

Re: Ingame chat

suggestion for better refreshes:

When retrieving the messages, have a span or input field in the last message indicating last message timestamp according to table.
Usesome javascript to fetch a php page in the background and sent along the timestamp from last message. (I build several of these, hit me up for tips if you need some)

The fetch page simply checks the messages table for a newer timestamp, if there are, only send messages with newer timestamps.

The data sent back should be prepended on the div holding the chat messages.

This way the shoutbox updates become minimal in bandwidth, and will only transmit new data if there actually is.

The active session from php should still work, so you can usethe regular security.

The white flashing from the reload will dissappear.

edit: chat works fine, seems I hit tab enter and refreshed a couple times instead of shout.

suggestion: change tab order, when in the text box, when you hit tab, have it land on shout. (tab > enter and message posted)
a very bad hairdo
ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

on option to not have it at all..

it was ok in the tourney as most were working together and not flaming etc, BUT I don't want to see the same type of nastiness and crap that goes on in GC in my shoutbox
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rules
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
Spoiler
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.
Sol
Forum Addict

fem fatale wrote:on option to not have it at all..

it was ok in the tourney as most were working together and not flaming etc, BUT I don't want to see the same type of nastiness and crap that goes on in GC in my shoutbox
What do you expect :P. It's a war game...the IRC is there as well don't forget.
I assume some mods are over looking it as well, if you don't want to be involved then don't talk in it :P
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.

Return to “Discussion on Released Enhancements”