Suggestion Box

Warning: Role Playing Zone - Content guidelines are applied less stringently.
For the many battle and war threads, and individual challenges for other players.

Moderator: General - Battle/FAQ Mods

Forum rules
This is a war Forum. Minors, faint of heart, or those with heart conditions are encouraged to use the General forums.
The team reserves its right to change the titles of threads to ensure that the title reflects the nature of the thread
Link to: Message from the Section Head and Mods
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie
ID: 0

Re: Suggestion Box

Post by jedi~tank » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:56 am

Melisandre wrote:Instead of looking to us to be your bloody conscience, grow the hell up and behave with a shred of dignity and selfrespect.
We do not need to have a grip on the members.. they need to stand up for themselves, firm, strong and with common sense, instead of emptying their reserves of antisocial and toxic attitude anywhere they like.

Mind you, there is no real problem beyond a few members wanting a police state (but oh, woe when there is such a system, hen everything is even more unfair and wahwahwah more whining.

Mods were made anonymous in 2006~7, ask Agapooka, he was in charge back then. It turned into a "who is who"-fest, with everyone seeking out and discovering which mod is who. You think you can effectively stay anonymous on any forum? :smt043 Even more naive than this thread implies.

Nope. Instead of whining about how others complain when they get warned, how about taking your bloody responsibity as alliance leaders/mouths, and teaching the wild dogs among you to think for themselves?
Rules are solid, now grow up and start acting a LOT less immature. Thank you kindly.
Good pounts, but posts like yours USUALLY is what gets another fresh round started.

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni

Melisandre
Lady Red
Race: Shadowbinder
ID: 15

Post by Melisandre » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:02 am

Haz. Quit whining about admissions of guilt. Some people would rather we be their mommy and daddy here, and give them a good caning when they misbehave. Completely accidentally misbehaving, of course, not because they are criminally antisocial or just plain stupid. :-)

As for 'starting a fresh round', do tell me dear, should I not make good points like those above just because some people cannot control where they squirt their immaturity? You are in full control of your faculties. You have the choice to respond maturely of immaturely, as every poster on this forum has that choice when they post. Have some self respect, everyone. ;)
"One realm, one god, one king."

Ah, yeah. This is Juliette, iPad.

Drought
Forum Expert

Post by Drought » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:10 am

lol @ mellisandra for her believes in peoples ability to control themselfves and others.

Forum staff is there for those wwho cant ... why the hell else would there even be bann options ....

Your replies about saying alliance leaders should tame their members ... well .this not just about alliance memebrs baby, there are lots of examples where players went anonymous with proxied dupe accounts just to be an ass on the forum.

Your delusional envisoning of how members 'should' behave is roflsome at best.

This is the internet baby .... not some rigtgious courthouse where members will behave if someone bangs a gavel.
a very bad hairdoShow

jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

Post by jedi~tank » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:14 am

Melisandre wrote:Haz. Quit whining about admissions of guilt. Some people would rather we be their mommy and daddy here, and give them a good caning when they misbehave. Completely accidentally misbehaving, of course, not because they are criminally antisocial or just plain stupid. :-)

As for 'starting a fresh round', do tell me dear, should I not make good points like those above just because some people cannot control where they squirt their immaturity? You are in full control of your faculties. You have the choice to respond maturely of immaturely, as every poster on this forum has that choice when they post. Have some self respect, everyone. ;)
So you want alliances to be politically correct and operate as a police state? And the public forum to be a cestpool of anything goes bla bla bla? [-X i think you need anger management.
Last edited by jedi~tank on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni

Juliette
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Post by Juliette » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:21 am

Appreciate the feedback guys! Gratitude for your suggestions, we will take it all under advisement. :D
Thank you for thinking along with us instead of raging against everything and everyone. ;)

I don't think your points are very representative (there are a few people who have trouble listening to mods, but the majority of the forum behaves very well), but the principle is sound, and your feedback is good.

I am against anonymity for 3 reasons:
1. It failed before (2007, under Agapooka's iron-fist rule).
2. It cannot be maintained (people will find out who you are anyway).
3. For the time it is maintained, it reduces moderator accountability, transparency and responsibility. Part of why the current system works for 95% of the members is that they can see who the moderators are. They can know them. Some of them are their friends, others their enemies.. but overall, the moderators serve a purpose removed from petty allegiances. :)

I am also against a stricter, more barricaded rule system for 2 reasons:
1. It removes responsibility from users. "If the moderator doesn't punish me, I am doing alright." The rules are there to help guide 'lost' users back to social behaviour. Not as a sword and shield, or as a police cruiser and prison. Having said that, repeated violations will get you banned, as you know. Admittedly there is some confusion over permabans, but overall, we are not here to hit you with our heavy hands whenever you go wrong. Besides, we have put a friendly warning on the GC; don't go in if you have a heart condition, or cannot handle some rough handling. :D
You are likely to get warned in other sections for the things you can say with impunity in the GC, to name a few; banter rules are far more lax. And they should be. Do your worst! If you do go over the edge, you will find us there to herd you back into the fold. Even if you are a black sheep. ;)
2. It puts more pressure on moderators. You may argue that it is the moderator's duty to guard the rules and strike fear into the hearts and minds of the members, but that is not how it goes. Yes, they guard the rules, but they are not here as riot control. They are more your friendly neighbourhood copper, doing their rounds occasionally, see if things go out of hand. Not to go all NSA on your behinds and 'pre-emptively destroy criminal elements'. :P

Your role in the 'crime and punishment' procedure (as users) ends with using the report function to report 'bad posts', which rule is broken, etcetera. Do not report every single post, just make a report and say "Mod, please check this and previous page, it is getting out of hand." Also, do not retaliate. You may laugh at me, but that old christian adage to "turn the other cheek" applies very strongly here. After all, if you respond in a rule-breaking fashion to a rule-breaking post, you get the warning as well. ;)

Either way, those are my thoughts, do with them what you will. You can seek an aggressive confrontation, insulting people left and right, but honestly, would that be worth it? Would you stand a chance?
You have given your feedback, and we will take it into consideration. :) Thanks again, hope to hear more from you guys.

(The above is just me, not the other Section Heads, so there is some disclaimer.)

"I do not expect an easy fight - just one I cannot lose."

"If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it."

SpoilerShow
"Just as the Mother Confessor is the final arbiter of truth through her magic, she is also the final arbiter of power. The word of the Mother Confessor is law."

Juliette: Newgrounds Game Rep & Developer Contact me about Newgrounds suggestions/issues/bugs.

Forum - Unicron
Psyko - Soundwave
Haz - Shockwave
Buck - Grimlock
Dovahkiin - Starscream
Noobert - Sunstorm
Sol - Thundercracker
Sarevok - Skywarp
Legendary Apophis - Cyclonus
Clockwork - Reflector
ertyuio - Divebomb
Kikaz - Rampage

jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

Post by jedi~tank » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:26 am

Juliette wrote:Appreciate the feedback guys! Gratitude for your suggestions, we will take it all under advisement. :D
Thank you for thinking along with us instead of raging against everything and everyone. ;)

I don't think your points are very representative (there are a few people who have trouble listening to mods, but the majority of the forum behaves very well), but the principle is sound, and your feedback is good.

3. For the time it is maintained, it reduces moderator accountability, transparency and responsibility. Part of why the current system works for 95% of the members is that they can see who the moderators are. They can know them. Some of them are their friends, others their enemies.. but overall, the moderators serve a purpose removed from petty allegiances. :)

1. It removes responsibility from users. "If the moderator doesn't punish me, I am doing alright." The rules are there to help guide 'lost' users back to social behaviour. Not as a sword and shield, or as a police cruiser and prison. Having said that, repeated violations will get you banned, as you know. Admittedly there is some confusion over permabans, but overall, we are not here to hit you with our heavy hands whenever you go wrong. Besides, we have put a friendly warning on the GC; don't go in if you have a heart condition, or cannot handle some rough handling. :D
You are likely to get warned in other sections for the things you can say with impunity in the GC, to name a few; banter rules are far more lax. And they should be. Do your worst! If you do go over the edge, you will find us there to herd you back into the fold. Even if you are a black sheep. ;)
2. It puts more pressure on moderators. You may argue that it is the moderator's duty to guard the rules and strike fear into the hearts and minds of the members, but that is not how it goes. Yes, they guard the rules, but they are not here as riot control. They are more your friendly neighbourhood copper, doing their rounds occasionally, see if things go out of hand. Not to go all NSA on your behinds and 'pre-emptively destroy criminal elements'. :P

Your role in the 'crime and punishment' procedure (as users) ends with using the report function to report 'bad posts', which rule is broken, etcetera. Do not report every single post, just make a report and say "Mod, please check this and previous page, it is getting out of hand." Also, do not retaliate. You may laugh at me, but that old christian adage to "turn the other cheek" applies very strongly here. After all, if you respond in a rule-breaking fashion to a rule-breaking post, you get the warning as well. ;)

Either way, those are my thoughts, do with them what you will. You can seek an aggressive confrontation, insulting people left and right, but honestly, would that be worth it? Would you stand a chance?
You have given your feedback, and we will take it into consideration. :) Thanks again, hope to hear more from you guys.

(The above is just me, not the other Section Heads, so there is some disclaimer.)
I had no idea this forum was a structure to guide social behavior. :roll:

Deni

jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

Post by jedi~tank » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:32 am

Melisandre wrote:Haz. Quit whining about admissions of guilt. Some people would rather we be their mommy and daddy here, and give them a good caning when they misbehave. Completely accidentally misbehaving, of course, not because they are criminally antisocial or just plain stupid. :-)

Generally when an immature point/post is made one has to respond in like fashion for continuity. Intillectual dramatic posts towards a user or users is nothing more than a long version of **Filtered** you **Filtered**. Point, the long version os no more or less " immature" than the short version as you/ one says allot and ends up saying nothing. ;)

Deni

Juliette
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Post by Juliette » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:50 am

Thank you for your feedback. We will take it into consideration. :-)
We appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

"I do not expect an easy fight - just one I cannot lose."

"If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it."

SpoilerShow
"Just as the Mother Confessor is the final arbiter of truth through her magic, she is also the final arbiter of power. The word of the Mother Confessor is law."

Juliette: Newgrounds Game Rep & Developer Contact me about Newgrounds suggestions/issues/bugs.

Forum - Unicron
Psyko - Soundwave
Haz - Shockwave
Buck - Grimlock
Dovahkiin - Starscream
Noobert - Sunstorm
Sol - Thundercracker
Sarevok - Skywarp
Legendary Apophis - Cyclonus
Clockwork - Reflector
ertyuio - Divebomb
Kikaz - Rampage

Psyko
The Irresistible

Post by Psyko » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:57 am

Juliette wrote:Appreciate the feedback guys! Gratitude for your suggestions, we will take it all under advisement. :D

In addition to the points above, there is also a request from AdminJ himself that we not be heavy-handed mods who warn blindly for every step on or over the line of forum rules. He wants General to be a place that promotes activity, not one that limits who can post what and where.

If people aren't able to be the bigger person in a situation where other users are slinging insults and schoolyard bullying around, then we have to step in. Unfortunately, in a place like General, once a thread gets rolling, it becomes very difficult for Mods to read every single post and warn each person when they start to break the rules. This is why the report function exists.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC

Return to “The Galactic Colosseum”