Looking for a new book

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Awaken Knight
Forum Elite
Alliance: MaYHeM
ID: 38569

Looking for a new book

Well.. as the title says i am looking for a new book to read in my ever so scarce free time and during the holidays that i do have my free time tends to lead to excessive boredom, so i thought a good read wouldn't go un-noticed..

to give a small indication on what sort of books i am looking forward to read, here is a small list of the books that i have already read:

- The Da Vinci Code
- Angels & Demons
- Digital Fortress
- The Righteous Man
- The Atlantis Code

Ok.. so any ideas?

Spoiler
kojak
The Voice of Reason
Alliance: The Dark Dominuim
Race: Scottish
ID: 88279
Alternate name(s): Brucey

Re: Looking for a new book

Have you ever read the green mile. Makes great reading.
~Snipez~
Forum Addict
Alliance: The Collective
Race: System Lord
ID: 1992766

shankill butchers

awsome read
Angnoch
Dancing Shark God
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Care Bear
ID: 1917273

moved to the proper section ;)
Spoiler
Awaken Knight
Forum Elite

kojak wrote:Have you ever read the green mile. Makes great reading.

Hmm.. have heard of it, wasn't too anxious to get into reading it when i first saw it, but still at a maybe for me

Snipes wrote:shankill butchers

awsome read

After reading a few reviews and the summary of it, it looks like it might be an interesting read :)

Angnoch wrote:moved to the proper section ;)

Thanks, didn't even know of this section ](*,)

Still need a few more ideas, will try and get onto getting a new book to read as soon as i finish reading deception point..

Spoiler
nuetralization
Fledgling Forumer
ID: 17623

Jin:

Area 7 by matthew reilly. or matthew iles

one of them is madman, not sure which.

“There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die.”

"Sir, We're surrounded!!"
"Excellent! We can attack from any direction."
nuetralization wrote:yes, but oma would get 500$$ worth of lube.
Dmonix
Count Duckula
Race: Scouse
ID: 21000

The curious incident of the dog in the night-time
-Mark Haddon

I found it a surprisingly good read, very entertaining.

Spoiler
Kikaz wrote:Thanks to:
MaYHeM - You guys were the closest thing I've found to family in this game, thanks for giving me a chance and eventually being crazy enough to vote me onto your high council and eventually let me lead you for several months. I had a blast with you guys.
d3stroyer_69
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: lonewolfs
Race: UnKnown of tolah
ID: 1943805

Daemon by Daniel Suarez is good...
Also just finished Mortal Instruments, a 3 book series. First book is City of Bones by Cassandra Clare were good also..
Ra
Sun God
ID: 10085

The Road
Its a pretty gloomy apocalyptic view of the world, but really draws you in.

The Last Templer
More in line with Da Vinci Code, in the symbolism and ancient sects. Still I found it very interesting, though I've always enjoyed Templar history.

Deception Point
Written by Dan Brown I believe, a departure from Da Vinci and A/D. But it still keeps you guessing and the like.

In Cold Blood
My wildcard lol, just one of my personal favorites. Very well written and worth at least one read in your life.
Death is the Road to Awe

Angnoch
Dancing Shark God
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Care Bear
ID: 1917273

depending on your taste

Fight Club - always an interesting read, giving a rather unique perspective on society and self-worth

any of Clive Cussler's "Dirk Pitt" novels - always fun, and although predictable and easy, extremely entertaining

Jurassic Park or Timeline by Michael Crichton - just absolutely enjoyable sci-fi

Portrait of Dorian Grey - actually a surprisingly effective satire about the dangers of excess and aesthetic obsession, not the easiest read in the library though, this takes a bit of time to read and understand but is well worth the effort when all is said and done
Spoiler
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

pawn of prophecy - David Eddings

first book in an excellent fantasy series (the belgalariad)... just try reading it... you'll be hooked...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Awaken Knight
Forum Elite

nuetralization wrote:Jin:

Area 7 by matthew reilly. or matthew iles

one of them is madman, not sure which.

yea.. read this some time ago, wasn;t the greatest read, but was a read i guess lol

Dmonix wrote:The curious incident of the dog in the night-time
-Mark Haddon

I found it a surprisingly good read, very entertaining.

Looks like it might be quite a good read, will try and get a sort of introduction to this book before i go off and get it, definitly in a maybe to get

d3stroyer_69 wrote:Daemon by Daniel Suarez is good...
Also just finished Mortal Instruments, a 3 book series. First book is City of Bones by Cassandra Clare were good also..

Quite like the summary given off from Daemon, seems like something i would go out to buy to read it.. it drew me in already so thats at least 1 i am getting :-)

Ra wrote:The Road
Its a pretty gloomy apocalyptic view of the world, but really draws you in.

Hmm.. not too sure about this book, i will need to read a bit more into it to be able to make any choice on whether i will consider getting it, it's not like it isn't a bad book, i am just unsure if it is a book that i would like to read throughout my free time or boredom :neutral:

The Last Templer
More in line with Da Vinci Code, in the symbolism and ancient sects. Still I found it very interesting, though I've always enjoyed Templar history.

I had a little bit of doubt on whether i should have got this book about a month ago.. instead i bought another book, but yea i still might consider getting this book to read

Deception Point
Written by Dan Brown I believe, a departure from Da Vinci and A/D. But it still keeps you guessing and the like.

I am currently reading this book, seems to be quite interesting with many of Dan Brown's books

In Cold Blood
My wildcard lol, just one of my personal favorites. Very well written and worth at least one read in your life.

Even though from the description given off from the book looks like something i would read, i am not too sure.. would need to ask others who have read this book to see if i should (don't worry i know a few other people that have read this book :D )

Angnoch wrote:depending on your taste

Fight Club - always an interesting read, giving a rather unique perspective on society and self-worth

Hmm.. i am sort of half and half on this, will need to think more about it if i am going to get it

any of Clive Cussler's "Dirk Pitt" novels - always fun, and although predictable and easy, extremely entertaining

I have actually read a book of Dirk Pitt.. i think it was Treasure of Khan and it was an enjoyable read, might go and check some of his other works.

Jurassic Park or Timeline by Michael Crichton - just absolutely enjoyable sci-fi

I have read Jurassic Park and found that not too bad of a read but it didn't get me into too much enjoyment as some of the other books that i have read, will check out Timeline aswell.

Portrait of Dorian Grey - actually a surprisingly effective satire about the dangers of excess and aesthetic obsession, not the easiest read in the library though, this takes a bit of time to read and understand but is well worth the effort when all is said and done

If i have to be honest about this, i am not too sure it would be the a read for me.. mainly because some of the reviews and even the sort of introduction to the book didn't seem to really interest me into reading it, but i never know, i may read this at a later time.

Zeratul wrote:pawn of prophecy - David Eddings

first book in an excellent fantasy series (the belgalariad)... just try reading it... you'll be hooked...

The series of books that are out for this seem like a possibility for me to read, most of the reviews i have read have also stated that they are already hooked on reading the whole series, so i might just see what all the talk about the books are about :)

Spoiler
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

as he (david eddings) said somewhere: if you've read 100 pages, I got you.

here's a teeny weeny quote (with names removed to prevent spoilers) from one of the books that is a prime example of the kind of humor that pops up:

"Why don't you send somebody out for a pig or a sheep? I'm hungry."
"It's customary to cook it first, Uncle."
He looked puzzled. "What for?" he asked.

all books in this series are out, (all 12-13 of them) so you wont have to wait for the next one as one would with a lot of the great series out there...

we're currently re-reading some of them now... (we think its our third time reading them, but it might be fourth...)

[spoiler=here's a complete list of books about this world]the books below are listed in order of how they should be read (first on top, last on bottom)

belgalariad
1. Pawn of Prophecy (1982)
2. Queen of Sorcery (1982)
3. Magician's Gambit (1983)
4. Castle of Wizardry (1984)
5. Enchanters' End Game (1984)
Malloreon
1. Guardians of the West
2. King of the Murgos
3. Demon Lord of Karanda
4. Sorceress of Darshiva
5. The Seeress of Kell
other:
* Belgarath the Sorcerer (1995) (Prequel) with Leigh Eddings
* Polgara the Sorceress (1997) (Prequel) with Leigh Eddings
* The Rivan Codex (1998) with Leigh Eddings '

' = not so much a story as background details, as well as some parts of the holy books of the various peoples and some other stuff...[/spoiler]
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
JolietJake
Forum Addict
Race: Soul Man
ID: 0

I agree with Ang about Clive Cussler - his books are an enjoyable read. Also, the Scot Harvath series by Brad Thor is definitely intriguing. If you're into non-sparkly vampires, Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian might intrigue you.

Don't sweat petty things and don't pet sweaty things.
temptress wrote:well I do call him jesus sometimes, but you don't want to know ;)
:lol:
well to be technical I usually say
"jesus, JJ get out of my clothes" :lol:
Kikaz
For the Lulz
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: Lulz
ID: 3471
Alternate name(s): Misery

The Lulz by Kikaz Bonaparte

Dirk Pitt Novels by Clive Cussler are good a few of them are movies now.. for the kind of books you seem to be after.

Also my current favorite Cycle which im waiting for the last book to come out is the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini ...

Eragon then Eldest then Brisingr

if you haven't read those, first book starts kinda slow picks up around the 3rd chapter rest of the book I had trouble putting down once I had started, same all the way through with next two books.
Quotes
Meanwhile in MaYHeM
Duderanch wrote:And so it would come to pass, in December of 2012 the war between the ponies and the pandas broke out..it lasted 21 days, the result? Armagedon.
Noobert wrote:Kikaz scares me at times, and he's in my own alliance.
Dr. House wrote:I HAVE THE POWER! The power to warn, and I will **Filtered** use it too.
Kateaclysmic wrote: I thought you loved me, Kikaz. I'm getting an abortion.
Sarevok wrote:
Kikaz wrote:Ridiculous.
Congrats on the most constructive post ever...
Affirmation wrote: And Speaking of bad boys (the baddest)... Kikaz is right, Q is a family, and Affy is the love child of Kikaz and Kateaclysmic!! That is right... I am NOT AN ABORTION... but she never nursed me and Kikaz stopped being a terrible father figure to Affy years ago... Family - HA... Affy's old arse...[-X

Where is the love Kikaz??? WHERE IS THE LOVE (Dad... :smt047 ) ??? [-(
I creep though shadows
I rise up at night
I live just inside you
And give you a terrible fright
I walk through the darkness
I lurk under your bed
I live in your wardrobe
I creep up in the shed.
I tiptoe through the corridor
I follow you anywhere
I rip your braveness apart
And never ever care
I am fear so don't come near..
2007 Quantum Player of the Year Runner-up - 2011 Villian of the Year - 2012 Hall of Fame - 2012 Quantum Player of the Year Runner-up - Leader and Co-founder of the 2014 Alliance of the Year

Return to “The Book Club”