What is your favorite? (Book/Series)

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Psyko
The Irresistible
ID: 0

What is your favorite? (Book/Series)

My current favorites will always fluctuate from day-to-day, but I have always considered Dune to be my all-time favorite series.

So this got me wondering...
Despite the constant change in favorites that naturally occurs when you find a new author/series/book, what book or series has always stayed with you over the years and kept you reading and rereading the story numerous times over?
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Ashu
Michael Westen
Alliance: TAF
Race: Human
ID: 81691

Honours and Awards

Re: What is your favorite? (Book/Series)

Sun Tzu - The Art of War.
E. A. Poe - The Fall of the House of Usher.
St. Augustine - Confessions.
Poems of Byron...
That's from the top of my head.
Bias Admin colour
Psyko
The Irresistible

Ashu wrote:Sun Tzu - The Art of War.
Poems of Byron...

I'm curious. Are all of these works that you read in English, or did you read them in other languages? Do you find that you prefer to read in one language over another? (Yes, I am interrogating you. :smt047 )
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Psyko
The Irresistible

Lt. Frank Drebin wrote:Dragon Rider
Percy Jackson & the Olympians<- I liked it before it was a movie >.>
Septimus Heap

Shows that what you read as a child sticks with you forever. Either that, you you're really a kid at heart.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Ashu
Michael Westen

Honours and Awards

Psyko wrote:
Poems of Byron...

I'm curious. Are all of these works that you read in English, or did you read them in other languages? Do you find that you prefer to read in one language over another? (Yes, I am interrogating you. :smt047 )

St. Augustine was in Romanian, the rest in English. I prefer reading a book in the language that it was written in, its author's language.
Bias Admin colour
Psyko
The Irresistible

Ashu wrote:
Psyko wrote:
Poems of Byron...

St. Augustine was in Romanian, the rest in English. I prefer reading a book in the language that it was written in, its author's language.

Is French not one of the languages you know? I cannot remember.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Ashu
Michael Westen

Honours and Awards

Psyko wrote:
Ashu wrote:
Psyko wrote:
Poems of Byron...

No, its German.
And yes I'll need to learn Chinese to read Sun Tzu... xD.
Bias Admin colour
Psyko
The Irresistible

Lt. Frank Drebin wrote:
Psyko wrote:
Septimus Heap

Shows that what you read as a child sticks with you forever. Either that, you you're really a kid at heart. :smt042

I very rarely find myself interested in something for more than one book let alone a whole series

those two had me hooked :smt047

and dragon rider, well I just couldn't put it down :-k

I've not read Percy Jackson (I hear the movie butchered it), but I have heard good things about it. Cannot say that I ever saw Septimus Heap on a shelf before...probably because I don't normally browse that section. It sounds fairly decent, though.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Psyko
The Irresistible

Ashu wrote:
Psyko wrote:
Ashu wrote:
Psyko wrote:
Poems of Byron...

No, its German.
And yes I'll need to learn Chinese to read Sun Tzu... xD.

Heh. Good luck with that. It is hard enough for me to know most of the Japanese characters after 7 years of study, let alone learning the thousands more that are used in Chinese. Hmm...this makes me wonder if the publications of Sun Tzu use the older, traditional, characters or the newer, simplified, characters (as there are both in modern Chinese)... Well, I suppose you could probably find it in both, with recent publications using the simplified characters. I guess if you do decide to learn it, you have to pay attention to which character set you study. XD
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Psyko
The Irresistible

Lt. Frank Drebin wrote:
Psyko wrote:
Lt. Frank Drebin wrote:
Psyko wrote:
Septimus Heap

Shows that what you read as a child sticks with you forever. Either that, you you're really a kid at heart. :smt042

I very rarely find myself interested in something for more than one book let alone a whole series

I've not read Percy Jackson (I hear the movie butchered it), but I have heard good things about it. Cannot say that I ever saw Septimus Heap on a shelf before...probably because I don't normally browse that section. It sounds fairly decent, though.

I didn't class the movie as worth the mortgage payment it costs to go to the movies so I await its release on dvd :P

I have no hopes for it being good however XD

Are you not a supposed pirate? :-k One would think you wouldn't waste the funds for a DVD.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Psyko
The Irresistible

Lt. Frank Drebin wrote:
Psyko wrote:
Lt. Frank Drebin wrote:
Psyko wrote:
Lt. Frank Drebin wrote:
Psyko wrote:
Septimus Heap

I didn't class the movie as worth the mortgage payment it costs to go to the movies so I await its release on dvd :P

I have no hopes for it being good however XD

Are you not a supposed pirate? :-k One would think you wouldn't waste the funds for a DVD.

who says I'd buy the dvd?

Who says you have to wait until it comes out? :-"
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
~Thamuz~
Forum Expert

In no particular order

The Shannara series by Terry Brooks - Series.
The Word and the Void trilogy By Terry Brooks.
The Sword of Shadows series by J V Jones - Series.
The Nights Dawn Trilogy By Peter F Hamilton - Series. ( which includes A second chance at Eden)
The Commonwealth Saga By Peter F Hamilton - Series. (which includes the Void trilogy as yet unfinished and Mispent Youth)
The Bakers Boy Trilogy By J V Jones.
The Barbed Coil By J V Jones.
Marrow By Robert Reed.
Most Books by Raymond E Fiest.

These are just a few of my favourites off the top of my head, with Terry Brooks, J V Jones and Peter F hamilton being my favourite authors, i could go on and on and on and on as i love to read, Give them a try ~T~
Psyko
The Irresistible

Oh sure. Give me more books to add to my TBR List. 328 is not enough... ](*,) It just keeps growing and growing...I can't get it to stop!!

I love reading, but my wallet just never seems to be big enough to handle this addiction! I feel like a crack addict! o.O
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
~Thamuz~
Forum Expert

Psyko wrote:Oh sure. Give me more books to add to my TBR List. 328 is not enough... ](*,) It just keeps growing and growing...I can't get it to stop!!

I love reading, but my wallet just never seems to be big enough to handle this addiction! I feel like a crack addict! o.O

Thats what Libraries are for. If they haven't got the book you want you can normally fill out a slip and they order it from another library ;)
Psyko
The Irresistible

~Thamuz~ wrote:
Psyko wrote:Oh sure. Give me more books to add to my TBR List. 328 is not enough... ](*,) It just keeps growing and growing...I can't get it to stop!!

Thats what Libraries are for. If they haven't got the book you want you can normally fill out a slip and they order it from another library ;)

No no no. See, I tried that. But I get urges to re-read things, and then they aren't in the Library and I start getting twitchy. Not to mention I read them so much that I may as well own them. The other problem with libraries is that my TBR List or my TBB List grow exponentially thanks to the wide selection. :shock: Trust me. Me having a library card is worse. That's like having a VIP pass to a club that guarantees you all the drugs you want... You either have to take a bedroll and start living in the basement just so you can keep the high, or you start looking for it elsewhere because you've become even more addicted.

Lt. Frank Drebin wrote:
Psyko wrote:I love reading, but my wallet just never seems to be big enough to handle this addiction! I feel like a crack addict! o.O

reading commonly allows one to gain some sort of knowledge and knowledge is power, there for you are addicted to power :o

This is news? :-s
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC

Return to “The Book Club”