The Wheel of Time

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Noobert
Sedin Triplet
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: A Canuck
ID: 57572

The Wheel of Time

I began recently reading these books when I have time, I'm still on the first part of book one.

Any one else read these books? :P
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Re: The Wheel of Time

not yet... but we've heard they're good...

(we decided several years ago that we were not going to read them until the last book in the series is written and published.)
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Melian
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Browncoat
ID: 37017
Alternate name(s): Anwnn, meliekins :)
Location: in the driver's seat of the crane lifting SS's rascal

I am on book 5. they are amazing. <3 Robert Jordan :)
Apathetic Market Mod

Trade Feedback!

anwnn@hotmail.com

"This is awesome! We're gonna be like pow pow pow, and their gonna be like AAAAGH! KERBLOOM! And then we'll have pancakes to celebrate and I'll be like nom nom nom, nom nom nom." --Fry

"Time for some thrilling heroics." --Jayne

Rocky
Tollan
Alliance: The Legion
Race: Italian Stallion

book 3 for me :D
im working through them :razz: , very imaginative stories, well written
Robert Jordan was awesome, may he rest in peace, i think someone else is finishing off his last 2-3 books, he left extensive notes on them so its still all his storyline :D
TL vs mH
ImageImage
TL vs DDE
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
TL vs mH + DDE
ImageImageImageImage
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Rocky wrote:book 3 for me :D
im working through them :razz: , very imaginative stories, well written
Robert Jordan was awesome, may he rest in peace, i think someone else is finishing off his last 2-3 books, he left extensive notes on them so its still all his storyline :D

That is correct. The last (and fourteenth) book is estimated to be released in fall 2011. Once that happens, we will start reading book one.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

I've read 1-11 twice now.....gonna wait till the three Sanderson ones are all published before reading them.

It is epic in every sense of the word: 10k pages long so far....15 days worth of audio books....

There are some great characters, races, story arcs, twists, turns and blind alleys. However, there are also weaknesses: poor editing, poor choices from book 7 onwards, too much focus on secondary characters, and it became a challenge to finish them rather than a joy.

He does have an annoying tendency to drag things out - for example a boat trip lasting ten days from one place to another: could have spent a couple of pages just saying everyone was restless, instead you get two chapters of Nyneave's braid pulling, Elayne's chin raising, and Aviendha's fear of water.....and nothing remarkable happens on the boat journey except they get to the location....

However, he rejuvenated the series in book 11 for me and that was one of the best books of the series.....I just hope Sanderson can continue that highnote through to the end.....

It is definitely a good plot, and you will find yourself hooked - but be prepared to trudge through some pretty heavy literature at times - and bang your head a lot when you hear the same idea/thought said a hundred times before he thinks you've quite grasped it.
Melian
Fledgling Forumer

yea sanderson is finishing up the series. He is a pretty good fantasy author in his own right which is why Jordan's wife chose him to complete his work. :)
Apathetic Market Mod

Trade Feedback!

anwnn@hotmail.com

"This is awesome! We're gonna be like pow pow pow, and their gonna be like AAAAGH! KERBLOOM! And then we'll have pancakes to celebrate and I'll be like nom nom nom, nom nom nom." --Fry

Londo Mollari
Lawnmower
Alliance: Serenity
Race: Jinchuriki

i read the first few books and well, thought it was utter drivel to be honest

i found the storyline overly cliched and predictable

and i think the writing style is juvenile and weak in both use of vocabulary and grammar
Mordack wrote: I'd probably go gay for Benjamin Linus. He's everything I want to be.
Speaking as a Mod
Sammael
Alteran
ID: 36867
Alternate name(s): Sammael

i have read up too book 7, i must admit the frist book didnt catch me but i decided to go o and read the next and then i got hooked, but since i dont evenj have time for reading yer busy life, but i will get on reading them all lol.
~ Sammael The UnKnown of the ORI ~

~ The Tank ~

War Never Changes, Just The People Who Fight It
In The Service of Nemesis Empire
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

I'm going to quote what I said in an earlier thread on this subject, because yes, I am that pretentious.

Uhm, I'll start by saying that I think Robert Jordan has a great imagination, and an interesting story to tell. I thought Book One, the Eye of the World, was a truly brilliant work of fantasy.

But I have two main problems with his writing: One is that he's badly in need of a good editor. He feels compelled to pound ideas into your head. He lacks a good deal of what George R.R Martin, another contemporary fantasy writer, possesses in plentitude - subtlety and/or finesse. What GRRM says in a few words takes RJ reams, after which, the reader has been "worded" into a sort of semi-conscious state only to be jolted awake by an interesting nugget. I would chalk this up to just being a so-so writer, but then I have to admit I am hooked by the story.

The other problem is that - and this is probably the reason for the first problem - the story has been stretched beyond its logical bounds, whether for income-producing reasons or not, I can't say. At this point, I have no idea whether the multitude of names of nobles I've shuffled through will be important and worthy of remembering at a later stage in the book, or whether I can file them away under "useless junk."

So in short, I would give him an A for plotline, but a C for execution.

I did want to give him his props where props are due. I'll continue reading. It's not as though I'm not enjoying a lot of aspects of it. (I've become immune to, or set wards against, the literary tics - braid pulling, glaring, etc.) I like the main characters - yes, even Nynaeve.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Noobert
Sedin Triplet

I have to agree with Mordack on a few things; the glares, etc are very annoying. It's an amazing story line, but it does feel a bit drawn out rather then a fluid story line.

The story is bad ass though. It puts LOTR to shame IMO.
Melian
Fledgling Forumer

Noobert wrote:
The story is bad ass though. It puts LOTR to shame IMO.

I wouldn't go quite that far.
Apathetic Market Mod

Trade Feedback!

anwnn@hotmail.com

Noobert
Sedin Triplet

I haven't read the books from LOTR, but I have played the games related to it and watched the movies and it seems to me that The Wheel of Time has more good vs evil, and plot twists then LOTR does.

LOTR seems straight forward, with clear definitions of who is good and who is evil. You can even predict what will happen in the movies or games (by games, I am referring to Battle for Middle Earth or an XBOX 360 game~ :P).
kojak
The Voice of Reason
Alliance: The Dark Dominuim
Race: Scottish
ID: 88279
Alternate name(s): Brucey

Noobert wrote:I haven't read the books from LOTR, but I have played the games related to it and watched the movies and it seems to me that The Wheel of Time has more good vs evil, and plot twists then LOTR does.

LOTR seems straight forward, with clear definitions of who is good and who is evil. You can even predict what will happen in the movies or games (by games, I am referring to Battle for Middle Earth or an XBOX 360 game~ :P).

What he said.,.. I love reading books just not this type. ;)
Melian
Fledgling Forumer

there is a pretty well definition of good and evil in the Wheel of Time. If you want a series that blurs the definitions of good vs. evil i would highly recommend Godslayer and Banewrecker by Jacqueline Carey.
Apathetic Market Mod

Trade Feedback!

anwnn@hotmail.com

Return to “The Book Club”