The Wheel of Time

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Re: The Wheel of Time

while also a bit clear on good and evil, the sword of truth series also blurs it a bit... not all evil characters there agree they are evil. From their point of view, they are good...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Noobert
Sedin Triplet
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: A Canuck
ID: 57572

Anwnn wrote:there is a pretty well definition of good and evil in the Wheel of Time. If you want a series that blurs the definitions of good vs. evil i would highly recommend Godslayer and Banewrecker by Jacqueline Carey.

The main evil, and good - definitely.
The secondary? Not so much.

The Children of the Light? Mordeth may be evil, but what is his part in this story? There are many unknowns, that's what I was trying to say.

You look at the Lord of the Rings, and you can figure it out with the snap of a finger.

I'm not very good at wording the things I wish to say, but I feel as if LOTR is second to WoT in terms of amazing story line with a good cast to follow it up. Although, WoT feels to drag on a bit like Mordack said.

I was reading up on this, and it seems some time in the near future (I pray to **Filtered** God they won't blow it) that Hollywood will be making a "The Eye of the World" as the first installment of the series.

Good or bad?
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

whether that becomes good or bad, depends entirely upon the level of adaption decay...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Noobert
Sedin Triplet

Zeratul wrote:whether that becomes good or bad, depends entirely upon the level of adaption decay...

I have a question related to movie industries **Filtered** in making movies.

Why do they cut out 90% of what actually happens in say..a good book? Why don't they make it verbatum to the books?

I don't get it QQ.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

some things work in a movie but not in a book (and visa versa). Unfortunately, some movie makers have a off-balance view of what those things are... The result is horrible movies that few, if any, like...

a book can devote whole chapters to single things, where a movie will take care of that in a few minutes...

Lord of the rings is a good example of that... the battle for helms deep was a minor part of the book, yet in the movie, it was one of the most important parts...

we think this text says it decently...
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ationDecay

Noobert
Sedin Triplet

I just wanted to update this, and state something on behalf of the series.

Robert Jordan may have passed away, but I feel that Brandon Sanderson's type of writing is completely different and it doesn't drag on as much as I thought it would.

The last three books are worth it (although, the third one isn't out yet). I know it's going to be worth reading.

READ IT OR BURN! O_O
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

I love the current totals of the books:
Current Totals: 11,308 pages 635 chapters 4,062,312 words 17d 11h 30m length of audio tape Jan 1990 - Early 2012 completion time
Noobert
Sedin Triplet

LOL. Personally, I own them all. The Towers of Midnight is a huge book, and by far the best yet.

Huge battles. Huge plots coming to a close. Everything is great. :D

I saw this thread and laughed though.

http://www.tarvalon.net/phpbbforum/view ... =35&t=3582
The Iron Duke
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Nemesis Novus
ID: 1915260

They are awesome! One of my favorite series's by far! I lol'd at that link XD

I like Sanderson, he has so far done a good job on finishing the series, hope he doesnt balls it up lol. I got Sandersons own series's because of this, and they are also quite good.Check them out :)
Destroyer of Worlds, Defender of Noobs, Dan Dan the Dustbin Man!
'
Spoiler
Noobert
Sedin Triplet

The Iron Duke wrote:They are awesome! One of my favorite series's by far! I lol'd at that link XD

I like Sanderson, he has so far done a good job on finishing the series, hope he doesnt balls it up lol. I got Sandersons own series's because of this, and they are also quite good.Check them out :)

Definitely will. I'm going to read the "Farseer Trilogy" after the Wheel of Time. I'm not entirely certain if it's worth reading though.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

oh, it is worth reading... very much so... (at least if you refer to the one by Robin Hobb)

The Iron Duke
Forum Intermediate

Tis the only farseer trilogy I know of. And yes, they are very good and worth a read!
'
Spoiler
Noobert
Sedin Triplet

The Iron Duke wrote:Tis the only farseer trilogy I know of. And yes, they are very good and worth a read!

Already ordered. ;)
The Iron Duke
Forum Intermediate

Noobert wrote:
The Iron Duke wrote:Tis the only farseer trilogy I know of. And yes, they are very good and worth a read!

Already ordered. ;)

:-k After you read them, the fools trilogy is a sort of epilogue series to them.

*Steers topic semi on topic*

But read The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson first :-D
'
Spoiler
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

You should read the Liveship Traders trilogy before the Tawny man trilogy (the one The Iron Duke mentioned in the post above this one), since that fills in a few gaps otherwise provided by Tawny man...

Return to “The Book Club”