The Wheel of Time

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
The Iron Duke
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Nemesis Novus
ID: 1915260

Re: The Wheel of Time

Zeratul wrote:You should read the Liveship Traders trilogy before the Tawny man trilogy (the one The Iron Duke mentioned in the post above this one), since that fills in a few gaps otherwise provided by Tawny man...

Yes tawny man! I was too lazy to google so stabbed in the dark. I started on the liveship trader series but i grew bored of the first book part way through, put it down and never picked it up again...
Destroyer of Worlds, Defender of Noobs, Dan Dan the Dustbin Man!
'
Spoiler
Noobert
Sedin Triplet
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: A Canuck
ID: 57572

Stop confusing me! I just woke up! Is there more books to this series than just three? LOL.

The Farseer Trilogy and then there is more connected to it?!
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

There are more than three books, yes... but each of the trilogies make up one main story, all connected to a much bigger one that the series as a whole construct.
Below is the order they fit together chronologically...

Farseer trilogy
* Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
* Royal Assassin (1996)
* Assassin's Quest (1997)

Liveship Traders trilogy
* Ship of Magic (1998)
* The Mad Ship (1999)
* Ship of Destiny (2000)

Tawny Man trilogy
* Fool's Errand (2001)
* The Golden Fool (2002)
* Fool's Fate (2003)

Rain Wild Chronicles
* Dragon Keeper (2009)
* Dragon Haven (2010)
* ???? (2012?)
* ???? (2012-2013?)
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Noobert
Sedin Triplet

..Crap. Another series like the Wheel of Time..
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

nah... the books arent nearly as long...

(though the rain wild chronicles would've been that long, had they not been chopped up into multiple books)
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Noobert
Sedin Triplet

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1058

[spoiler]
Brandon Sanderson wrote:Tor and Harriet have set the release date for A MEMORY OF LIGHT. Again. While I've been working on the book, this has happened a half dozen times, with varying levels of publicity surrounding the date.

This time we're saying January 8th. How likely is this one? Well, honestly, I don't know. Seems like it's the most firm of the lot. However, you've got to understand a couple of things.

First off, I don't set release dates, particularly not on these books. I pick my deadlines, then work to meet them. Tor and Harriet decide when the book is going to come out, judging by editing requirements, market factors, and the workings of the publishing machine. I didn't find out this one had been set as this day until long after the fact. So please, complaining to me . . . well, it's just not going to do anything but distract me from working on the book.

Secondly, Harriet is very, VERY worried about getting this book right. It's the last book in the series. There are no chances to change things after this, and revising a book like this takes time. Harriet would probably prefer even more space than this publication date gives us. She also isn't capable of pulling the long hours she might once have pulled. (And she shouldn't be expected to.)

It's not all on Harriet, though, not by a mile. I turned in a 360,000-word book. That's 20% longer than what they wanted, and that means each step of editing and production will require 20% more time than they had set aside. In addition, while I've set my own deadlines, I've come right up against them and (in a few cases) tiptoed across. For example, instead of sending a revised book at the end of December, I only had a first draft. That's the length pushing me back and making me revise expectations.

I realize that all you care about is getting your book, and this sounds like a lot of excuses. But here's the thing. You'll get the book when Harriet is ready to give it to you. Not before. If this were just me, I could work a big pile of 16-hour days and get it to you in the fall. But it's not just me, and beyond that, the last time I did that (on TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT, which went through eleven drafts) we ended up with a pile of typos and wore Harriet out so much she said she didn't recover for well over six months.

I sincerely thought that we'd be releasing the book this fall. January 8th was a surprise to me when they told me. However, Harriet picked the last possible week the book could reasonably come out, because she wants as much time as possible to edit it.

I still think it's very possible that all will go smoothly and Harriet will push the book up. It happened with TGS, I believe, though that was only pushed up by a week. However, for now, we just have to assume January 8th is when it's coming out.

Best,

Brandon
[/spoiler]

The release date for the final book is finally set!

Hooray. :D
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

so about 9 months... quite a while till we'll have to start reading then...

Noobert
Sedin Triplet

Zeratul wrote:so about 9 months... quite a while till we'll have to start reading then...

You could pace yourself with a book or two each month. :)
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

doesn't work that way for us... when we read, we read quickly.

_willie_
Forum Elite
Race: Forgotten

I just want to add that these books are amazing
MOD SPEAK
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

on a vaguely related note, for those waiting for him (brandon sanderson) to finish writing that last book... we'd recommend checking out another book by him... The way of kings
Very good book...

_willie_
Forum Elite
Race: Forgotten

Zeratul wrote:on a vaguely related note, for those waiting for him (brandon sanderson) to finish writing that last book... we'd recommend checking out another book by him... The way of kings
Very good book...

is it more like robert jordans style or does he change it up and create his on style of writing?
MOD SPEAK
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Not having read WoT yet (waiting for last book) we can't say whether its like RJ, but the worldbuilding does have a slight similarity to what Brandon Sanderson did in Mistborn...

Loki™
Forum Elder
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: System Lord
ID: 41339
Alternate name(s): Lloth, Sargonnas, D4ywalk3r

I'm expecting great things from The Stormlight Archive.
Spoiler

And Loki saw every thing that he had farmed, and, behold, it was very good.
Spoiler
George Hazard says:
thats what happens, HVE takes your soul and gives you an awesome high
when you leave, you can't live without it
ImageImage

The forces of Loki™ rush in full force, and inflict 1,086,054,534,340,000 damage on Pooop's forces!
It was confirmed that 12,620,737 of Pooop's forces fell at the hands of Loki™'s assult.

The forces of Pooop fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 481,837,854,506,000 damage on Loki™'s forces!
They managed to eradicate 1,988,050 of Loki™'s troops.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

We're also expecting great things from the future books in it...

Return to “The Book Club”