The Horus Heresy

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Enter|Shikari
Forum Regular
Alliance: HVE - CV
Race: Kraken
ID: 85384

The Horus Heresy

My brother just read Horus Rising and False Gods and I'm interested in reading them
Anyone got an opinions on these?
Spoiler
M4gic_H4nds wrote:Thel and I rock the Gimp.
[BoT] Jason wrote:But I'm not leet...
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: The Horus Heresy

I would recommend anyone starting to read the Warhammer literature to start at the actual beginning.. reading the stories in chronological order makes for a far more sensible map of events in your mind.
Reading them just to read a few good books, you are of course set starting with any of the books. ;)

They are good. Intense. Warhammer. :-D Good stuff.
Enter|Shikari
Forum Regular

Juliette wrote:I would recommend anyone starting to read the Warhammer literature to start at the actual beginning.. reading the stories in chronological order makes for a far more sensible map of events in your mind.
Reading them just to read a few good books, you are of course set starting with any of the books. ;)

Horus Rising is the first book of that series..?
Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Enter|Shikari wrote:
Juliette wrote:I would recommend anyone starting to read the Warhammer literature to start at the actual beginning.. reading the stories in chronological order makes for a far more sensible map of events in your mind.

Yes, correct. I meant the Warhammer 40k Novel universe as a whole. :-D
Regarding the Heresy, great series. :D
Enter|Shikari
Forum Regular

Juliette wrote:
Enter|Shikari wrote:

Yes, correct. I meant the Warhammer 40k Novel universe as a whole. :-D
Regarding the Heresy, great series. :D

ahh I see! Well they are still writing books 17 and 18 in this series I think! So would be well worth reading them until they are released :)
Spoiler
Noobert
Sedin Triplet
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: A Canuck
ID: 57572

Are these all books entwined with one and other..?

Horus Rising – Dan Abnett – April 2006[1]
False Gods – Graham McNeill – June 2006[2]
Galaxy in Flames – Ben Counter – October 2006[3]
The Flight of the Eisenstein – James Swallow – March 2007[4]
Fulgrim – Graham McNeill – July 2007[5]
Descent of Angels – Mitchel Scanlon – October 2007[6]
Legion – Dan Abnett – March 2008[7]
Battle for the Abyss – Ben Counter – August 2008[8]
Mechanicum – Graham McNeill – December 2008[9]
Tales of Heresy – Compilation. Nick Kyme & Lindsey Priestley, editors – April 2009[10]
Fallen Angels – Mike Lee – July 2009[11]
A Thousand Sons – Graham McNeill – March 2010[12]
Nemesis – James Swallow – August 2010[13]
The First Heretic – Aaron Dembski-Bowden – November 2010[14]
Prospero Burns – Dan Abnett – January 2011[15]
Age of Darkness – Compilation. Christian Dunn, editor – April 2011[16]
The Outcast Dead – Graham McNeill – October 2011[17]
Deliverance Lost – Gav Thorpe – January 2012[18]
Know No Fear – Dan Abnett – March 2012[19]
The Primarchs – Compilation. Christian Dunn, editor – June 2012[20]
Fear to Tread – James Swallow – September 2012[21]

Holy **Filtered**..I just wanted to buy a few but..damn.
Enter|Shikari
Forum Regular

well I don't know if it's a continuous story line but they are all the same series anyway
same era too i guess
Spoiler
Noobert
Sedin Triplet

Enter|Shikari wrote:well I don't know if it's a continuous story line but they are all the same series anyway
same era too i guess

I'll let you know. I've just got the first seven books for my birthday present. :-D
Enter|Shikari
Forum Regular

Noobert wrote:
Enter|Shikari wrote:well I don't know if it's a continuous story line but they are all the same series anyway
same era too i guess

I'll let you know. I've just got the first seven books for my birthday present. :-D

:smt050
Spoiler
Noobert
Sedin Triplet

I've read four books thus far, in a short time period, and I recommend them. The back story into the universe that is the Imperium of Man is great. It tells about how the Chaos Legions began, and what the Emperor's faithful did to stop it. Great books thus far. :D

I leave this song to symbolize sexiness.

semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God
ID: 0

Aye.. the Horus Heresy was MASSIVE... pretty much made the current 40k universe what it is now and it started long before they actually went to war and not to mention it went quite far.. from his illness on the fringes in the Great Crusade all the way to Leman attacking Prospero, the drop site massacres on Isstvan IV and finally the siege of the emperor's palace. It kept going on after that.. you had Angron's crusade of fire.. the alpha legion and there stuff and the numerous sieges where the traitors dug in on their retreat to the EoT (eg the iron cage I believe it was called).

(note: has played 40k for a decade so knows his stuff).
Last edited by semper on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Semper wrote:.
Shauny, I love you, but basing your opinion of a franchise on the experiences of playing it as a tabletop game (I would cough to illustrate sarcasm) is very .. odd. And I use odd in this particular case as a synonym to crazy. While one cannot help but appreciate the inventiveness of lesser minds, one cannot possibly allow these lesser minds to 'be' canonical support to their theories regarding the story. After all, as you will agree, that which you cannot understand, you cannot explain to me.

So unless you take only your own story as canon, (which I could see you do, given my knowledge of your modus operandi) the story is .. damaged. :-D Irreparably so, if you were to tell me what your addition would be. :P
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God
ID: 0

[-X

The canon HH story has been in army books since realms of chaos way back when. I've played through three codex's all of which have had the HH story in it and I can recall it being in White Dwarf twice, between twenty and two/three years before the novels started to come out. Small details have changed and one or two big ones (namely the invasion of Prospero by the space wolves, the warp tunnels under the golden throne) have been added but I know the story.. hell I play CSM's so it's the origin of my faction. XD

My table top antics, as you should know exist in the current game.. set 10k years after the HH.. so anything done there is of no consequence to my own perception of the events surrounding the traitors legions betrayal/birth. Fact is GW fact and I get my HH knowledge from them. It doesn't change because I got Ahriman and had him shove his staff through Abaddon's heart the other week. I did play in the EoT campaign, that was great fun..and a happy, but minor victory for chaos. :)

GW are renowned for being cut throat fan ignoring buggers and do have a tendancy to change canon (for example the addition of the C'tan to the necrons, the change of necrons being soulless warriors to being egyptian style conquerors, the constant changing of Malal's canonincal status) so this book series could well be non-canon within the decade. I'd imagine they'll be similar to GL with regards to defining canon.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.

Return to “The Book Club”