Banned Books Week

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Psyko
The Irresistible
ID: 0

Banned Books Week

It starts this year on Sunday, Sept. 25th and goes through Saturday, Oct. 1st.

Book list A-I: http://www.banned-books.com/bblista-i.html
Book list J-Z: http://www.banned-books.com/bblistj-z.html

I've read numerous books from this list, most without knowing they were banned somewhere. I don't believe in the banning of books as a general rule. Some of the excuses--sorry, "reasons"--people give for banning the books on this list are plain stupid, in my opinion.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Tig
Forum Newbie

Re: Banned Books Week

Very surprised at some of the books that were on that list. Odd lists though because its just picking randomly from throughout the world.
I read one of the books on the list simply because I was told it was still banned due to its content but to be honest I regret reading it, but I was surprised the reason it said it was banned on your list. It said it was banned because several libraries and librarians were harassed and threatened for having the book on their shelves, shocking to be honest.
I'm pretty sure the book was banned in Ireland due to its rather depraved sex scenes in it which the church obviously didn't want people reading. I expect that from the church though.
Psyko
The Irresistible

SuperGuy wrote:Very surprised at some of the books that were on that list. Odd lists though because its just picking randomly from throughout the world.
I read one of the books on the list simply because I was told it was still banned due to its content but to be honest I regret reading it, but I was surprised the reason it said it was banned on your list. It said it was banned because several libraries and librarians were harassed and threatened for having the book on their shelves, shocking to be honest.
I'm pretty sure the book was banned in Ireland due to its rather depraved sex scenes in it which the church obviously didn't want people reading. I expect that from the church though.

Goes to show how Americans determine which books to ban. ](*,)

The banned book list does not even count the books that are challenged (requested to be banned).
This site lists the top 10 challenged books since 2000: http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/b ... /index.cfm
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Tig
Forum Newbie

I really don't agree with books being banned but it was cool to see someone tried to get twilight banned in 2010 hahaha

Edit: Oh someone tried to get the whole series banned the year before :-D
Last edited by Tig on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psyko
The Irresistible

SuperGuy wrote:I really don't agree with books being banned but it was cool to see someone tried to get twilight banned in 2010 hahaha

2009 and 2010! :smt081

Also, the original lists I linked are incomplete. I know for a fact that Mein Kampf and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland are also banned books. I hate to link wikipedia, but the list does have more books. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bo ... overnments
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Reschef
Forum Elder
Alliance: ~Ricos Warlords~ (retired)
Race: System Lord
ID: 37648

lmao @ banning Fahrenheit 451 ...
Spoiler
Borek wrote: No one ever died from playing SGW, although i think some of the whiners may come close to drowning in their own tears :roll:
ImageImage
Psyko
The Irresistible

Reschef wrote:lmao @ banning Fahrenheit 451 ...

I always did love the irony of that. :-D

One of my favorites. ](*,)
The Diary of Anne Frank (1947)
Banned in Lebanon for "portray[ing] Jews, Israel or Zionism favorably".
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

we've surprisingly not read any on those lists... we've heard of several though...
Many books that deserve banning are not on that list... though thats probably because the list is banned for content, not banned for quality.

We've read a few books on the list of challenged books, though...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Morbius Liadon
Forum Grunt
Race: Replicator
ID: 1969782
Alternate name(s): Morbius Liadon

Odd that none of these lists show The Anarchists Cookbook or The Poor Man's James Bond. Not that I have read or know where to obtain these books :-"
deni
The Initiate
Alliance: THE DARK DOMINIUM
Race: Goddess
ID: 75493

Honours and Awards

I do not know if those lists should make me cry or laugh hysterically.

Hypocritical self-righteous morons are just everywhere nowadays it seems.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

Removing a book from required reading is not banning a book. :roll:
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Satanic Verses was a mediocre work from a mediocre author which suddenly got catapulted to the top of the bestsellers because Gandalf the Grey had a hissy fit. Sometimes there's no better favour you can do.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Loki™
Forum Elder
Alliance: Jötunheim
ID: 41339
Alternate name(s): Lloth, Sargonnas, D4ywalk3r

The only books that should be banned are those that contain bomb instructions or something along those lines.
Reschef wrote:lmao @ banning Fahrenheit 451 ...

I lol'ed at that :-D
Spoiler

And Loki saw every thing that he had farmed, and, behold, it was very good.
Spoiler
George Hazard says:
thats what happens, HVE takes your soul and gives you an awesome high
when you leave, you can't live without it
ImageImage

The forces of Loki™ rush in full force, and inflict 1,086,054,534,340,000 damage on Pooop's forces!
It was confirmed that 12,620,737 of Pooop's forces fell at the hands of Loki™'s assult.

The forces of Pooop fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 481,837,854,506,000 damage on Loki™'s forces!
They managed to eradicate 1,988,050 of Loki™'s troops.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

You do not need a book to figure out how to make explosives...

The problem for those that make explosives isnt finding the recipe... its getting the materials to make them with...

We've never had interest in making any, but still we know a couple of recipes, but none of them are for high explosives... (Well, one of them is for high explosives, but that one is so unstable that you cant make large amounts without self-detonation...)

Fortunately gov't agencies and such keep watch on suppliers of the materials often needed for the truly dangerous ones...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Loki™
Forum Elder
Alliance: Jötunheim
ID: 41339
Alternate name(s): Lloth, Sargonnas, D4ywalk3r

Zeratul wrote:You do not need a book to figure out how to make explosives...

The problem for those that make explosives isnt finding the recipe... its getting the materials to make them with...

We've never had interest in making any, but still we know a couple of recipes, but none of them are for high explosives... (Well, one of them is for high explosives, but that one is so unstable that you cant make large amounts without self-detonation...)

Fortunately gov't agencies and such keep watch on suppliers of the materials often needed for the truly dangerous ones...

Explosives were just an example. Other possibilities would be Killing a Person 101, Introduction to Torture or Hitman's Guide.
Spoiler

And Loki saw every thing that he had farmed, and, behold, it was very good.
Spoiler
George Hazard says:
thats what happens, HVE takes your soul and gives you an awesome high
when you leave, you can't live without it
ImageImage

The forces of Loki™ rush in full force, and inflict 1,086,054,534,340,000 damage on Pooop's forces!
It was confirmed that 12,620,737 of Pooop's forces fell at the hands of Loki™'s assult.

The forces of Pooop fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 481,837,854,506,000 damage on Loki™'s forces!
They managed to eradicate 1,988,050 of Loki™'s troops.

Return to “The Book Club”