The Vampire Chronicles

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

The Vampire Chronicles

• Interview with the Vampire (1976)
  • The Vampire Lestat (1985)
  • The Queen of the Damned (1988)
  • The Tale of the Body Thief (1992)
  • Memnoch the Devil (1995)
  • The Vampire Armand (1998)
  • Merrick (2000)
  • Blood and Gold (2001)
  • Blackwood Farm (2002)
  • Blood Canticle (2003)

Who's read them, who loved them, who hated them, what did you love, what did you hate..

Me, I loved (most of) the books, the depth of the philosophical debate from an entirely 'out-of-human' mindset, an enticing storyline which really makes you want to read the next book, learn more about this vampire, that vampire.. it's both exploratory and narrating, you learn with the characters as their stories show more and more intricacies and interconnectedness.
It struck me that the vampire world must be a very small world. Not just because, being immortal, it's relatively easy to travel the world, but also in terms of 'who knows who'.
Anne Rice created a really deep and excellent universe, in my opinion. I would love to hear what others think about these books. :D
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Re: The Vampire Chronicles

Hmm... part time reading those...

The universe is good, but the books give a very dry feeling... We've seen the movie version of the first 2-3 (we think 2&3 have been merged into one movie), so we got tired of trying to read the first one in book form, due to knowing the story and finding it only mediocre.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Zeratul wrote:Hmm... part time reading those...

The universe is good, but the books give a very dry feeling... We've seen the movie version of the first 2-3 (we think 2&3 have been merged into one movie), so we got tired of trying to read the first one in book form, due to knowing the story and finding it only mediocre.
Oh, how unlike you, to be fooled by the poor qualities of movie adaptations. :o
Nah, I can see what you mean. Don't quite agree, but I can imagine someone with a different set of interests thinking that when reading the books. One of the downsides of going in depth on things you know / have though a bit about as author. :D
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

The problem isnt the movie version... its a long time since we saw that. It is that we got bored when reading the book and derailed from reading many times. Reading a bit of the second book, also fairly dry, but not as dry as the first one. (it is one of 5 or so books we're currently reading)
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Angnoch
Dancing Shark God
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Care Bear
ID: 1917273

ربهالنوع wrote:
  • Interview with the Vampire (1976)
  • The Vampire Lestat (1985)
  • The Queen of the Damned (1988)
  • The Tale of the Body Thief (1992)
  • Memnoch the Devil (1995)
  • The Vampire Armand (1998)
  • Merrick (2000)
  • Blood and Gold (2001)
  • Blackwood Farm (2002)
  • Blood Canticle (2003)

Who's read them, who loved them, who hated them, what did you love, what did you hate..

Me, I loved (most of) the books, the depth of the philosophical debate from an entirely 'out-of-human' mindset, an enticing storyline which really makes you want to read the next book, learn more about this vampire, that vampire.. it's both exploratory and narrating, you learn with the characters as their stories show more and more intricacies and interconnectedness.
It struck me that the vampire world must be a very small world. Not just because, being immortal, it's relatively easy to travel the world, but also in terms of 'who knows who'.
Anne Rice created a really deep and excellent universe, in my opinion. I would love to hear what others think about these books. :D

I love me my Anne Rice I have Hard Cover of every book and the nice leather bound copy of the Interview/Lestat/Queen all in one I hate that she has stopped writing them
Spoiler
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

*grabs angnoch and hurls him down to the temple*

We think the universe the books are set in is fairly decent, yet when the stories seem boring, something is wrong. It might be better if one gets deeply into it, yet hard to say. Since many like it, there's got to be at least something good about it all, even if it does not work for us...

Psyko
The Irresistible
ID: 0

She lost me at Blood and Gold. I can't remember the exact reason for my hesitation to continue reading the Chronicles after that novel, but I do remember thinking it was considerably different from the books before it in a way I did not like. Marius was never a favorite character for me, anyway. The first three books, on the other hand, are among my favorites of all time. The films made me sad... :(
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Angnoch
Dancing Shark God
Alliance: ~Leaf Village~
Race: Care Bear
ID: 1917273

its true that the sereis began to go a little to preachy for my taste after memnoch but the universe continues to enthrall

the movies don't count :smt021
Spoiler

Return to “The Book Club”