A Song of Ice and Fire

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Jim
Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

A Song of Ice and Fire

So we have a GoT thread, why not SoFaI thread?!

How much have people read? How much are they enjoying it?

Currently working my way through book 5!
Last edited by Jim on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Song of Fire and Ice

Yes. Good thread, good read, and all of them.

(viewtopic.php?f=81&t=184062 For reference.)
Jim
Pony Princess
Kishin

Juliette wrote:Yes. Good thread, good read, and all of them.

(viewtopic.php?f=81&t=184062 For reference.)

I looked through the first few threads here to see if there was one, I was clearly not diligent enough :smt022

I am looking forward to finishing this book so I can begin to theorize on the next, but am not looking forward to the wait for book 6
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

yup. read them all... first two or three twice. Read the short stories.

Very good stuff...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Coulson
Forum Regular
Alliance: S.H.I.E.L.D.
Race: Human
ID: 75836

Author tends to recycle motifs, but he's doing so in an interesting way.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

nearly all authors of many books recycle some concepts, though they (at least the good ones) do so in new and original ways. Authors often tend to reuse certain character types in different series.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

deni
The Initiate
Alliance: THE DARK DOMINIUM
Race: Goddess
ID: 75493

Honours and Awards

You might want to edit the topic name - It is "A Song of Ice and Fire" :)

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Re: A Song of Fire and Ice

Yes. It is.

wholesomely excellent stuff those books...

Jim
Pony Princess
Kishin

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Finished.

[spoiler]Thoughts on Jon Snow?[/spoiler]
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

[spoiler]That bastard must die.[/spoiler]
Jim
Pony Princess
Kishin

Cersei Lannister wrote:[spoiler]That bastard must die.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Umm he is isnt he? Maybe? Who knows what goes on in the mind of GRRM when it comes to death....[/spoiler]
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Jim wrote:[spoiler]Umm he is isnt he? Maybe? Who knows what goes on in the mind of GRRM when it comes to death....[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Until I get confirmation of his actual demise, I consider him alive and a clear albeit near-insignificant danger. I have seen people stabbed and live before.[/spoiler]
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God
ID: 0

[spoiler]Duke and I have discussed Jon Snow at length. We've decided he is either going to survive it naturally or Melisindre is going to revive him using the kiss of fire.

:smt060 Varys and Littlefinger.[/spoiler]
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Jim
Pony Princess
Kishin

Semper wrote:[spoiler]Duke and I have discussed Jon Snow at length. We've decided he is either going to survive it naturally or Melisindre is going to revive him using the kiss of fire.

:smt060 Varys and Littlefinger.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I really hope he doesn't get the kiss of life. there is/was too much of that already and it will ruin Jon's character.

Also, loved Vary's little bit in the Epilogue :smt050[/spoiler]
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

[spoiler]Jon snow is an interesting character.
It'll be interesting to learn exactly who his parents are...
is it ned start & some unknown woman, or is it perhaps the common theory of Lyanna Stark & Rhaegar Targaryen? Only GRRM through Howland Reed knows...

We believe that Jon Snow will survive, not sure how, but we doubt he's been killed. at least not permanently. besides, in some societies, it is polite to stab someone... right?

No surprise in you liking them, Semper... You always did like to have fingers affecting things in the strangest of games...

We rather like Arya, possibly because she's got no qualms about murder, but also because she does not live up to stereotypes... Religions based around assassination are also fun...[/spoiler]

Return to “The Book Club”