Fantasy Recommendations

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Phoenix of Terra
Forum Zombie
Alliance: ex-TSA
Race: Troll
ID: 12371123

Re: Fantasy Recommendations

Brythalious wrote:And anyone heard any news about G.R.R.M.? is he actually releasing Dance with Dragons, or just trying to tease us.

Tease, just to jack up the prices :P
My name is red because I'm one of the few Tok`ra. Your questions have now been answered.
Pimping D wrote:if this game has made you cry please delete your account and get a life
Prophet of Truth wrote:You are an impediment that the universe can no longer abide. Nature itself cries out for your destruction...
The Phoenix Awards!
Turagnor
Fledgling Forumer
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Ancient
ID: 72713

Reviving old topic, woohoo!

Vampire Earth novels by E.E. Knight

Most every other good fantasy book I've read has been mentioned.

Speaking heart and mind regardless of massings sent my direction.
Brythalious
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Warlords of Briton
Race: Briton
ID: 19326

Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley is good, not started his follow up "Blood Heir" I think it is.
Main ID: 19326. Ascended: 2853
A Warlord never asks how many but where they are!
Arturus Rex Quondam, Rexque Futurus
ChaosX666
Forum Irregular
Alliance: T I T A N S
Race: Nautolan
ID: 1932334

Reviving an old topic:

The Black Magician series by Trudi Canavan

Ashu
Michael Westen
Alliance: TAF
Race: Human
ID: 81691

Honours and Awards

Picnic by the road by A & B Strungatzki(I'm allmost sure I've misspelled)
Bias Admin colour
knightsotor
Forum Newbie

+1 for David Zindell, awesome writer.
anything by David Gemmell is great too (i quite likes the rigante and Sipstrassi series myself)
Tyverion
Fledgling Forumer
Race: System Lord

Gotta agree about the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, that was a good series.
I also loved the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman and I've read all of the Darren Shan Vampire series (quite a few books)

I've heard they're making a film to go with that, I hope they don't muck it up like "The Golden Compass"
~Thamuz~
Forum Expert

Alot of my favourite fantasy books have been mentioned but a few haven't so here goes of the top of my head, anything by J V Jones is a def must, Ian Graham's Monument is also very good, just finished the 2 books in Karen millers kingmaker/kingbreaker series, which i found not to bad a read, and there was one book i read ages ago called AIR (haven't a clue who wrote it) which i thought was very original! A few series on here that i haven't read yet and i'm always looking for a new series to read so thanks for the ideas guys! ~Thamuz~
Manetheren
Forum Elite
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
ID: 0

Just thought I would mention that book 12 of the Wheel of Time Series is being written by Brandon Sanderson and he's about 2/3s finished.

While we are waiting..
Margeret weis and Tracy hickman are good except for the Darksword Trilogy(didnt like the ending)
GRR Martin
LE Modesitt
David Eddings
TwinB
Forum Newbie
Race: Tau'ri

Just thought I would mention that book 12 of the Wheel of Time Series is being written by Brandon Sanderson and he's about 2/3s finished.

cant see why part it in three :?

Wheel of Time

Harry Potter

The Dark matter

Anything of J.R.R.Tolkien
The Iron Duke
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Nemesis Novus
ID: 1915260

TwinB wrote:

Wheel of Time

Harry Potter

The Dark matter

Tor books and RJ's wife decided it woud be best to release it in three parts, firstly so they dont have to make a new print press (This book could be up to twice as long as No.4 The Shadow Rising), and so they can appease readers by giving them something to read whilst untarnishing the finished product by chopping out parts of the book.

Just came across a book called "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. I thought the cover looked dodgey and the blurb wasnt very forthcoming, but it was an awesome book. Cant wait for the next one!
Destroyer of Worlds, Defender of Noobs, Dan Dan the Dustbin Man!
'
Spoiler
Manetheren
Forum Elite
Alliance: Tauri Alliance

The Iron Duke wrote:
TwinB wrote:

Wheel of Time

Harry Potter

The Dark matter

Tor books and RJ's wife decided it woud be best to release it in three parts, firstly so they dont have to make a new print press (This book could be up to twice as long as No.4 The Shadow Rising), and so they can appease readers by giving them something to read whilst untarnishing the finished product by chopping out parts of the book.

Yes now book 12 will be out Nov 2, 2009 .. book 13 by Nov 2010.. book 14(the last book) by Nov 2011..
RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

I can't say I'm either happy or surprised to be honest....brevity has never been this series strong point. I thought they'd all agreed to follow Robert Jordan's original statement that it would end with book 12 no matter the length....guess the new guy can't write to word limits either....and so a wait of another three years to find out how the series will conclude.... :(
lordernest
Forum Elite
Alliance: Loner
Race: TRUE GOD OF ALL

Ok even though quite a few books of mine have been mentioned; Harry Potter Series, Star wars series (most of them), Tolkien s Classics, The eragon (saga?), and also briefly the Odyssey and the Iliad by Homer (yes even though it is not a novel but they are filled with great fantasy which is the subject of this topic). I would like to recommend some books which (surprisingly) haven't been mentioned such as; The Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman, Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, Crosstime Traffic Series by Harry Turtledove( does alternate history count as Fantasy?), and finally i'd like to finally recommend a book that i think is great no mater the day or year or the time it is you are reading it is The With Fire and Sword Trilogy by Henryk Sienkiewicz ( i know not fantasy but great still for me to mention). Hope you fine my recommendations for your tastes, please tell if you disagree then we can have a debate (always fun).
" From the Darkness Arises an Old System Lord, ready to take back the glories lost in time." - Terak , First Prime of Ernest

"There is no fear, only terror
There is no resistance, only submission
There is no peace , only war
There is no fate, only consequences."
- Lord Ernest
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

quite a few of those have been mentioned through separate topics here...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...

Return to “The Book Club”