Guitar players in the game

A place to discuss the music we listen to, mass to, or are looking for a greater appreciation of.
Kowalski
Forum Newbie
ID: 0

Guitar players in the game

are there any guitar players around here.....buying my first guitar on Thursday and cant wait !!!! any recommendations as to where to start with online stuff, guy in the shop says easiest way to learn is online these days, wonder others thoughts on the matter...

thanks
BJKerridge
Forum Newbie
Race: Replicator
ID: 1968469

Re: Guitar players in the game

Hey man, yeah I play guitar!

Choosing the right guitar depends on what style you play. What sort of music would you be looking at to play? And the best way to learn is to start off reading tabs. Use http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ and search for what you want to learn, then pick it up from there :D The different lines represent different strings (The top line refers to the highest-pitched string on the guitar) and the numbers represent what fret to play. For example, 0 means play the string open, 7 means put your left finger on the 7th fret.

[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-8rqLzlid4[/youtube][/spoiler]

Enjoy :D
Dmonix
Count Duckula
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Scouse
ID: 21000

Speak to Neim

Spoiler
Kikaz wrote:Thanks to:
MaYHeM - You guys were the closest thing I've found to family in this game, thanks for giving me a chance and eventually being crazy enough to vote me onto your high council and eventually let me lead you for several months. I had a blast with you guys.
Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Lone wolf
Race: Slovenian
ID: 82089

Hey. First off - the guitar you're buying depends mostly on what you want to play and what sound you're looking to get.
The most versatile guitars are semi-hollow body jazz guitars. They can be plucked into guitar amps and you can still get the features of electric guitars on them (mostly playing with effects like distortion, wah wah, fuzz, basically any stomp effects), but they are still loud enough if you don't want to play with a guitar amp. Without an amp they are louder than electric guitars, but as they are only semi-hollow bodied guitars, they are quieter than acoustic, electroacoustic or classical guitars. That being said, I've only played on such guitar about twice as I prefer electric guitars myself (but also own electroacoustic guitar which I take with me on parties and whatnot).

If you don't wish to play any distortion and stuff like that, but prefer to play music from musicians like Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, etc., then acoustic or electroacoustic guitar is the way to go. Basically the only difference in acoustic and electroacoustic is that electroacoustics are usually active (meaning they need batteries) guitars and have a little pick up or a small microphone mounted on the inner side of the body and you can pluck these guitars in guitar amp. The feel, playability and sound is the same, but you can't pluck a normal acoustic guitar in amp. You can pluck the electroacoustic in though. But you won't be able to play any distortion stuff with electroacoustic as, due to the nature of how such effects effect the guitar sound, you'll get so much feedback you'll feel like guitar is going to blow up. You will be able to have some modulation effects, but they have to be minor and their gain mustn't be set too high, like pitch shifter, chorus, etc. You'll also be able to play with delay effects.

Classical guitars - as the name says, the guitars are mostly for playing classical music. They have a wider space between strings which is why they can be plucked easily. Strings are mostly plastic and they are mostly being plucked by fingers, opposed to guitar picks on pretty much any other guitar (although some still prefer to play with fingers). They are as loud as acoustic guitars and can't be plucked in amps. I prefer acoustic guitars to classical ones.. The extra space between the strings really bothers me as I'm not used to it. Besides, I don't play classical music.

Lastly electric guitars - these guitars are very quiet without amp, so if you're going in this direction - bare in mind you're gonna have to spend extra money on amp. If you do lean in this direction - I suggest Fender amps. Haven't let me down. Especially nice are the Mustang series which are digital amps and awesome because you don't need to spend extra money on buying effects. I currently own a Mustang IV and previously owned Fender Frontman 212R. The Marshall amps are also highly valued, although anything under 500€ is crap. Fender is much, much better in price range up to 1000€. After that it depends what you wish to play.
Anyway these guitars are a must if you intend to play hard rock, punk, metal.. Basically anything that requires a lot of distortion.

If you are on a tight(er) budget, I'd suggest going for copies of brands like Fender and Gibson. Squier makes copies of Fenders and they're quite good, I've owned a Squier Stratocaster, while Epiphone makes copies of Gibson.
Basically if you are looking for a more clean sound I suggest single-coil pickups on guitar you're about to buy, otherwise if you are really looking for some muddy sound and a huge load of distortion I suggest humbucker magnets. You can easily find out which is which - humbucker is two single-coil pickups that are in very close proximity and, due to the nature of putting the other single-coil in an opposite direction, they allow for more distortion as feedback gets diminished. Anyway if you aren't on a budget, I suggest going for Fender or Gibson. These are also the two guitars I currently own and the guitars I won't change. Ever.

You can also consider buying the guitars which aren't made in USA, those are cheaper (like Fender Made in Mexico, or Fender Made in Japan, for instance), use original Fender hardware, but they use a lower quality wood.. You have to try out different ones and I suggest you take someone with you that knows a thing or two about guitars.
I bought an electroacoustic Takamine made in Taiwan (I think, wasn't really paying much attention) that cost like 200€, otherwise the Takamines cost up to 2000€. But it's a great electroacoustic guitar if you don't have a few k € to spend.

Anyway, the only brand I suggest not purchasing from is Ibanez. While they are quite popular in metal scenes - guitars and guitar amps from Ibanez are prone to breaking down quite often. Also the clean sounds on Ibanez electric guitars when plucked to any amp suck a lot.

If you need any help with a specific guitar you're looking at, feel free to PM me with the link to it and I can check it out and tell you the pros and cons of it ;) It'd also help if you wrote exactly what you want to play - guitars are very versatile instruments and with the versatility also come the guitars which are designed for one style or another.

As for my experience..I've played on numerous guitars, from a '73 Fender Strat which would be sold probably at around 3000€ right now on which I recorded (it wasn't mine though), '76 Fender Strat, Fender Made in Mexico, Ibanez guitars, Jackson guitars, other, newer Fenders, Gibsons, Squiers,... I started learning guitar about 7 or 8 years ago, something like that..

EDIT: About what to learn first - I suggest not starting with guitar tabs but rather with guitar chords and scales. They are the basics for everything. It also helps if you know some music theory like progression of tones (what are the tonal differences between tones, for instance tone A is exactly one tone higher than tone G, 1 fret represents half a tone) and basically, everything you know will help you. A very useful site for all of this is http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/
After you learn the chords a very useful piece of software called Guitar Pro will help you out greatly for learning songs. What it does is show you the guitar tab (if you choose guitar, otherwise it can show how to play the drums, keyboards, bass, etc.) and actually play it out the way it's meant to be played. One of the most important things is to know how long you should play a certain note to keep yourself in rhythm. In normal guitar tabs you won't know how long you have to play the note, but in Guitar Pro you can hear stuff and thus know how long you have to play something. Once you know how the song progresses you can also mute the guitar track and play along, so you can see how it sounds. You won't hear the voice here, obviously, but it is usually mimicked with keyboards so you know where approximately in the song you are - kinda like humming instead of singing. Anyway, when you can play the song by heart you should practice it with metronome to make sure your rhythm is good, then you can play it by listening to the song along with playing it :)

Just my 2 cents. If you need anything else, feel free to PM me.

~N
Haz wrote:It took a bit of time, but the investigation has now been completed.
S1eepy will be banned for scripting, for the remainder of this era.
Name: S1eepy [ TheCheekyChickens ]
{Banned}
2012 Awards awarded to me:
Spoiler

Return to “Music”