DJ Dance/House/EDM

A place to discuss the music we listen to, mass to, or are looking for a greater appreciation of.
son goku
Fledgling Forumer
ID: 0
Alternate name(s): Jon

DJ Dance/House/EDM

Just wondering if anyone else out there is a DJ or has an acute interest in Dance, House or EDM music :D

Would be cool to have some tips or song suggestions

I've been DJ'ing for a while now, tend to use a setup of Virtual DJ through Serato Scratch Live to my mix deck would be cool to speak to anyone else who does it!
Care free wherever we may be! We are the famous CFC!

Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Lone wolf
Race: Slovenian
ID: 82089

Re: DJ Dance/House/EDM

I have a playlist on my comp, can play whichever song I want, and also have a good knowledge of how to use youtube. I also know how to slide the volume and EQ sliders. Does that count as a DJ? :-D

~N
Haz wrote:It took a bit of time, but the investigation has now been completed.
S1eepy will be banned for scripting, for the remainder of this era.
Name: S1eepy [ TheCheekyChickens ]
{Banned}
2012 Awards awarded to me:
Spoiler
son goku
Fledgling Forumer
Alternate name(s): Jon

Neimenljivi wrote:I have a playlist on my comp, can play whichever song I want, and also have a good knowledge of how to use youtube. I also know how to slide the volume and EQ sliders. Does that count as a DJ? :-D

~N
You're actually over qualified for some night clubs :p
Care free wherever we may be! We are the famous CFC!

Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie

son goku wrote:
Neimenljivi wrote:I have a playlist on my comp, can play whichever song I want, and also have a good knowledge of how to use youtube. I also know how to slide the volume and EQ sliders. Does that count as a DJ? :-D

~N
You're actually over qualified for some night clubs :p
Hehe, I was partly kidding, but you're right. :) I mean, everyone can be a DJ nowadays, it requires no talent or specific knowledge. The funniest part is, that they get hired and paid 50€ per hour (take in account they "work", i.e. drink and repeat the same playlist night after night, about 6h per night and that's 300€, don't even play the songs you request unless you are a busty blonde girl). I am in a band. When we say we want to get paid 400€ for a 2h set, most of the clubs **Filtered** about how expensive that is. Well, do the maths. 4 of us, that's 100€ per each one of us for 2h. 50€ per hour of playing (and you're always in action, not just clicking on a song and be done for 5 minutes). Then you gotta take in account an hour for set up and tone check. You're down to 33,3€ per person per hour. Count in the countless hours of practicing the set with the band and the countless hours put in to learn the instrument (and it isn't as easy as adding stuff to the playlist and fading volume in and out), countless lessons that cost money, gear related maintenance, etc., and you soon figure out just how expensive DJs are and how cheap live music actually is. Not to mention the fact that anyone can be a DJ whereas not anyone can be a musician.
DJing used to be hard back in the day, I won't dispute that (despite not actually liking that kind of music myself). But nowadays it's a joke - at least for 95% of DJs that fall into that category. I rarely go to clubs because I don't like the music and even the music I kinda like (be it remixes of some songs I like or something) and falls into the category of what's playable doesn't get played if I request it (although if my GF requests it, it gets played of course). Not to mention the drinks are way overpriced and there are usually entrance fees and music is way too loud to have any sort of conversation. All the events I've visited, I only saw one good DJ. He actually played whatever anyone wanted, regardless of the music genre (or sex of the customer), the music wasn't too loud and he wasn't pretending like he's the most important guy in the club. He still had no special talent, but at least listened to what the customers wanted.
No offense meant to you, of course :)

~N
{Banned}
Spoiler
Ingólfur
Forum Newbie

I used to work 2 technics sl1200' , vinyl.

Making songs fluently pass over is something that takes some time learning, just fading is not the trick.
You need to be able to feel the majority of the crowd and play in on that.
A DJ can make a club owners night if he gets the entire crowd aroused and going dancing for hours, which will make the crowd drink more, and more.

Playing a single requested song can interrupt an entire flow.
Generally DJs accepting the requests from one of the busty blonds are looking to get laid with them.

Being a DJ has nothing to do with pleasing the customers (apart from making them go wild and thirsty). It is about making money for your employer.
Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie

Fading is what the majority of the so called DJs nowadays are doing.
Pleasing your customers is what will make them dance and sing and drink. But everything you've mentioned applies to the bands as well. The only difference is that bands need to know how to play their instruments and those specific songs, instead of just adding songs to the playlist ;)

~N
{Banned}
Spoiler
IFLuX
Forum Elite

Spoiler
mcdeadly . : i would rather eat stool from fluxes bumhole than fight alongside DDE!
Clockwork Ben Allman: Does not count if you pay for it flux, and tbh, you always 'pay' one way or another :P
anonymous :THIS should be the TAF motto..." Can't hack a war? Join TAF, just go inactive and let a couple guys carry you until the enemy gets bored!"
Loki: like i said before
Loki: denis doesnt have friends
Loki: just people he hasnt pissed off yet

[10:11:58 AM] Loki: I'm a sniper
[1:30:17 PM] Dean Bailey: tbh im not that sleep deprived
[1:30:26 PM] Dean Bailey: i had a super epic nap from 3PM till 6 PM
[1:30:52 PM] Dean Bailey: and thankfully it wasnt the kind of nap you have with TAF.

[19:59:26] Denis Oman: i never had sex with drugs
[19:59:32] Denis Oman: but i did when i was wasted as **Filtered**
[19:59:52] WarGuruBambi -DDE: Bad things happen when drunk lol
[20:00:10] WarGuruBambi -DDE: Dont get me wrong i love my son

CJO - Judgement HC
Scott form what I hear, no one in this game could beat you in an onliner, you have mad skills

[10:16 PM] Skeleton Crew - Judgement 3ic: Flux when are you going to accept that you have potentially one friend on this game and everyone else can't stand you? It's quite sad to watch.
[10:17 PM] Skeleton Crew - Judgement 3ic: I think the worst part is the obvious psychological issue that you maintain this facade of being better than everyone but also putting it down to accounts are what matter
Field Marshall
Forum Zombie

Ingólfur wrote:I used to work 2 technics sl1200' , vinyl.
This guy.
son goku wrote:Virtual DJ through Serato Scratch Live
Not this guy.

Do it old skool Son Goku, none of those fancy little pretend scratch pads :-D

My friend tried to teach me, on both Technics and on Serato Scratch with a miniature scratch deck, can't remember what the hardware was called.

Suffice to say, I did it for a maximum of 10 hours and gave up. I am officially tone deaf.
Sol wrote:
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?

I think this is sig worthy in fact.
:o my first sigging. I sigged you too. <3
High Empty wrote:however people shouldn't have lvl 33 and 200mil spies and try to be in the top 10, it's unhealthy.

Return to “Music”