Accounts for sale, buyers beware................

A place to discuss 'Market Stuff'

Moderator: Market Mods

Tech_no_rati
Fledgling Forumer
ID: 0

Accounts for sale, buyers beware................

it is not advised to sell electronic goods for real life cash, for it violates TOS with many game sites.

one could lose the account and alot of real life $$

I recently seen an account for 'sale' for minimum of $800...
$800 for a text based browser game..... hmmmm that is gas in my car, food in my stomach, roof over my head and yeah for most working class folks, a full months pay..

lol $800 for pixels.. whoo hooo..
im not saying all is bad , but in the electronic age of things one must be aware of lots of things.

look at WoW..

Taken from the WoW euro site

It has come to our attention that certain individuals are selling Blizzard's in-game property for cash on auction sites such as eBay and on personal websites. The World of Warcraft Terms of Use clearly state that all of the content in World of Warcraft is the property of Blizzard, and Blizzard does not allow "in game" items to be sold for real money. Accordingly, Blizzard Entertainment will take any and all actions necessary to stop this behavior. Not only do we believe that it is illegal, but it also has the potential to damage the game economy and overall experience for the many thousands of others who play World of Warcraft for fun. In order to promote a fun and fair environment for all our customers, we are actively investigating those individuals who engage in this inappropriate activity and reserve the right to take legal action against these individuals to protect World of Warcraft for all those who "play by the rules." If you are found to be selling in-game property (such as coins, items, or characters), for real money, you will lose your characters and accounts, and Blizzard Entertainment reserves its right to pursue legal action against you as well.

well that kind does sum up what all major online games are doing, even some of the not so main stream.

they all started out small, so is this the view of things to come?

maybe, maybe not...

This system of buying virtual goods and/or money with real money is known as Real Money Trade, or RMT — and it is a bannable offense on most MMORPGs. Regular players, who put in the hours out of pure enjoyment, find the situation distasteful and often rally for greater crackdowns from the companies who run the game — or greater personal restraint from those who purchase virtual currency.

"I think there should be some way to regulate it [RMT]... however; sadly, the problem is deeper than that. The market is there because people will buy it. People will do anything to win, including cheat. I guess what really angers me is that it is poor sportsmanship. As a competitor I personally detest people who would do whatever it takes to win, as far as breaking rules go," says Christian Hildebrand, 30, who plays WoW.

Some just think it's completely abhorrent, any way you slice it. FFXI veteran, 28 year old Danny Peacock, seethes over the idea of real life wealth determining success in a game. "I feel that the ability for some hoity-toity punk with too much money to visit a website and trade his real money away for pretend money is appalling. This practice gives him no gain whatsoever and detracts so much from the game, not only for him/herself, but for anyone that plays the game as it was meant to be."

But it's interesting to look at all perspectives within this situation. In the spirit of "if you can't beat them, join them," Sony started the first RMT-approved servers on their MMORPG, Everquest, earlier this year. So far there are only two among the numerous servers for EQII that allow RMT. Sony collects a per-transaction fee for their authorized service, called Station Exchange. For those who complain about the time-consuming aspect of playing an online game (many of whom are parents or other casual players), this seems a good compromise; Sony's Station Exchange allows people to purchase what they need through a legitimate channel rather than by supporting "farmers," the people who log in to MMOs solely to make virtual money that they then sell for real money. For those gamers who are not interested in RMT for themselves, but who are not against the idea, a system like Sony's would probably be acceptable. Alex Farmer, a 17 year old from the UK who used to play FFXI, says, "I don't agree with buying gil myself but I suppose it's up to others whether they do it or not. I do believe it undermines a lot of the enjoyment of the game, but if people want to play that way then it's their choice."

A server is a sub-world within an MMORPG. Typically, a player will only interact with those on their own server. Some games offer different types of servers, as with the RMT-approved servers mentioned above. WoW also offers servers wherein player-killing, or PVP competition, is allowed. Each server has its own unique economy and population. FFXI offered a cross-server tournament this year for their PVP competition, ballista; it was the first time interaction of any sort was allowed across servers in that game.

so how bad is it? i cant say, but it will reach a point where it will be wrong to sell ones online goods for real life $$. could be a few bad trades, account stealing, bad traders,etc.,once there is enough incidents ( or even one horrific one) then the game admins have to step in and fix it, by banning accounts or putting a limit on what one can do with there said 'pixels'
well prosecuting someone for online goods is really hard to do, especially if that person(s) deliberately goes out to illegally gain such things.

even ebay getting some action
Ebay Auction For SGW account...

Anyone can sit on one side or another and debate this, that is not my point.
My point is we are setting the stage for what is to come in the near future.

what will history say? There will always be honest players and those that cheat, deceive to get what they want.

As for me personally, this is like going and buying someones brain cause they actually went thro school and learned something.

lol..

let the bidding start ,for a geniuses brain, at 600 online game accounts......

good reads below

Virtual Gaming Economy

darn good read next..
Selling fantasy-world assets for profit raises real-life concerns

Real Life Incidents

The world will know that free players stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and that before this battle is over, even a self claimed god-king and his side kick can bleed.
Grand Admiral Martin
Forum Expert
Alliance: I serve only myself.
Race: Ascended Irish
ID: 33984

Re: Accounts for sale, buyers beware................

This will never be stopped. And it's good for games, look at games like Second life they knew they couldn't stop it and now it's a major factor in the game with people having $100k+ fortunes.
Tech_no_rati
Fledgling Forumer

Emperor Martin wrote:This will never be stopped. And it's good for games, look at games like Second life they knew they couldn't stop it and now it's a major factor in the game with people having $100k+ fortunes.

never said stopped, but still is it worth it?

i personally dont see the draw to sinking mega $$ into PIXELS.. that you could lose, be banned, etc from..

its just not a worthy investment to me.. hence my views
however...

Second Life and most other MMORPG's have some sense to protect players and accounts to a degree.

tell ya what.. u give me say $400 a week and i let you breathe my air, that i own.. the other guys might sell you some air but it may not be breathable.. what do ya say????

The world will know that free players stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and that before this battle is over, even a self claimed god-king and his side kick can bleed.
Grand Admiral Martin
Forum Expert
Alliance: I serve only myself.
Race: Ascended Irish
ID: 33984

But you are only at risk if it's stated, here there is no risk, admins doesnt say anything against it. Players preety much regulate everything. And its more than pixels, you are buying into a community. I didnt use any money, but i would have it i had alot of it, instead i put in a few hours everyday for 2 years. Theres nothing wrong with buying ingame for cash, should you be scammed well thats just a risk everyone in business takes. some scammers will be punished others wont. you move on. ive been scammed 3 times, lost about $200 didnt stop me and i glad it didnt i made 10x that back in later deals. games forcing sellers to go "underground" leads to bad deals, where as if blizzard regualted and allowed it there would be less likely to be scammers.
Tech_no_rati
Fledgling Forumer

true very true
but when is enough? and how much is enough? no regulations??

i can see if you personally want to invest go for it.
that called freedom

no one likes being scammed or cheated. but to pay hard earned $$ for pixels. that has to be the biggest racket i ever did hear of.

but again.. that just my side of it..

Hensenshi
Strange Soldier

Admin has stated directly that he has no intent to stop the cash market for SGW.
Tech_no_rati
Fledgling Forumer

Hensenshi wrote:Admin has stated directly that he has no intent to stop the cash market for SGW.

ok who cares.. lol

its a discussion, not about what SGW is or isnt doing

chill

and get back on topic

Hensenshi
Strange Soldier

Tech_Support07 wrote:
Hensenshi wrote:Admin has stated directly that he has no intent to stop the cash market for SGW.

ok who cares.. lol

its a discussion, not about what SGW is or isnt doing

chill

and get back on topic

Chill? I wasn't emotional at all mate. Just stating that SGW isn't going to suffer from these issues again.
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom
Alliance: The Dark Dominium Empire
Race: System Lord / AJNA
ID: 1928117

Honours and Awards

Think of it as an investment as well, I have purchased 2 different accounts and countless resources over the 1 yr plus I have played. I have bought SS for myself and many others too, but guess what. I have sold enough resources that I am presently just about even. I have a top ten account and have had over a year of enjoyment and have spent less then the cost of 1 X-Box or PS2 game and this has lasted much longer.

Just all depends on how you look at things. If the game shuts down tomorrow then I'm still on top $$ wise.
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Age old saying that, "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"
Reason, youll get dead.
chargin
Forum Intermediate

i'd prefare to stay out paying my real $ (or selling for real $) for game items otherwise when i lose 1mil units through getting massed i'd be like ahh that's $20 USD! i play the game for fun, not for making money, work a few more hours next week instead u'll get a lot more money that way and still enjoy the game. if you can trade and still enjoy fights in the game, good for u. :D

I say smart things so people don't realize how dumb i am.
Obsidian311-
Forum Irregular
ID: 1337

lol this is funny that wow is doing this but won't stop the farm bots that ruin there so called "economy" from failing. i personally have sold a Star Wars Galaxies account right after it turned to crap for $150 unfortunately i waited until they switched the gameplay a 2nd time to do it. had i of sold before the first time i could have gotten over 1k easily. also another thing i find funny about this story is that about 3 or 4 months ago on the WoW forums there was a post about a girl who sold her account for $1800 and then 2 months later decided she wanted to play again after she spent all the money. she then went in and switched back all the stuff saying that her account was hacked and they switched it back for her.... she still plays on that same account today and blizzard has taken no action against her. (on a side note though the guy is still going through the legal system to get his money back from her) so yea i would be careful when doing cash trades but don't stop em as they are a vital part of any game.
Everlast
Forum Newbie

800 $ a months pay :|

thats like a weeks pay here if u do the labour jobs even.. O_O
MackTheKnife
Forum Intermediate

I don't mind people buying (especially if I'm selling) :D

I personally use a "Balance" rule for myself. I either keep myself neutral or in "proft", if I sell 1 trillion naq, I'll either keep the money, or use it to buy some SGW stuff later if I need it. I will not allow myself to be in "debt" (ie having spent more RL money buying SGW stuff than I have gotten by selling stuff), for more than I can sell a trillion naq on the BM, which is generally $35-$40, and I will not buy anything else until I'm back in profit.

If someone wants to go and spend a grand on a SGW naq or UU, then I'm not going to stop. It's their money. Personally I think it's insane. However, I can see why some people will buy a trillion here, a million UU there, if they work and spending a bit of RL money on SGW money will make the game more enjoyable, then so be it.
All alone, staring on
Watching her life go by
When her days are grey
And her nights are black

Return to “Market Discussion”