Ad apearing without me doing so.

for FORUM issues, complaints, requests, bugs, etc - - not game related...
Heisenberg
Forum Expert
Alliance: TDD
ID: 84840
Alternate name(s): The Architect

Ad apearing without me doing so.

Hi,

I posted a topic asking for a sig, when i put the word "prices" in, an ad appears to buy an ipad or something along those lines.

Does this happen with certain words? First time i've seen it.

Jim
Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

Re: Ad apearing without me doing so.

What browser do you use?
Heisenberg
Forum Expert

Chrome, actually just noticed it's done it for the word "Upload" just below when typing this.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

The Architect wrote:Hi,

I posted a topic asking for a sig, when i put the word "prices" in, an ad appears to buy an ipad or something along those lines.

Oh, you got the TextEnhance (or SmartSelect) malware too. :? I am still trying to get that **Filtered** off my PC. :)

Not related to just the forum. It appears all over the internet. Progressively infecting all other browsers you use. :)

It will pick up on a bucketload of key words and give you idiot links and all that.
Heisenberg
Forum Expert

Juliette wrote:

Oh, you got the TextEnhance (or SmartSelect) malware too. :? I am still trying to get that **Filtered** off my PC. :)

Not related to just the forum. It appears all over the internet. Progressively infecting all other browsers you use. :)

**Filtered**, it's so **Filtered** annoying. If you ever find out how to get rid out it, holla at me. I'll do the same.
It will pick up on a bucketload of key words and give you idiot links and all that.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

The Architect wrote:
Juliette wrote:

**Filtered**, it's so **Filtered** annoying. If you ever find out how to get rid out it, holla at me. I'll do the same.
I will definitely let you know. ;) I have heard of many others who have the same issue (on other communities).
Heisenberg
Forum Expert

Just PM's ya.

If anyone has just noticed theirs, do a system restore from either earlier that day or the night before. I have mines away.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

The Architect wrote:Just PM's ya.

If anyone has just noticed theirs, do a system restore from either earlier that day or the night before. I have mines away.
Makes sense. :) Sad story, I think my most recent one is a few months old.
Sniperwax
Forum Regular
ID: 0

Juliette wrote:
The Architect wrote:Just PM's ya.

Makes sense. :) Sad story, I think my most recent one is a few months old.

Malware like that is very good at hiding. Best you can do is use mediocre security software like Norton in combination with the high quality free ones (MalwareBytes and SpyBot). I have never had a virus or spyware successfully perform a task. Every few years I discover one but it never gets to perform any tasks aside from a few weak attempts to turn private folders to public.

There could be more hiding on my drive of course yet unable to perform their tasks due to my relatively high security settings :) You also need a good task manager monitor and activity recorder. One of the easiest ways to compromise a system is to spoof Win32 files. A good monitor allows you to see the full path of an active task with just a mouseover.

I won't touch the subject of IPs because as incredibly useful as this knowledge is as a defensive mechanism it is not good to share that knowledge on a game forum haha.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

All well and good, except I am not going to shell out for an industry that is effectively one giant scam.

Virus protection companies designing and releasing newer, better viruses into the world; all in the interest of 'ethical hacking' (do not make me **Filtered** laugh), only to charge more for a fix (or have you install their own resource-devouring malware as a price of 'staying safe').
I am not going to participate in that **Filtered** scam.

I think I will go completely OSx next time I upgrade my PC. Limited maneuverability, but at least it is safe, more so than this **Filtered** nightmare anyway.

Ah, I do think I am slightly peeved. Do forgive me. -_-
Sniperwax
Forum Regular

Juliette wrote:All well and good, except I am not going to shell out for an industry that is effectively one giant scam.

Virus protection companies designing and releasing newer, better viruses into the world; all in the interest of 'ethical hacking' (do not make me **Filtered** laugh), only to charge more for a fix (or have you install their own resource-devouring malware as a price of 'staying safe').
I am not going to participate in that **Filtered** scam.

I think I will go completely OSx next time I upgrade my PC. Limited maneuverability, but at least it is safe, more so than this **Filtered** nightmare anyway.

Ah, I do think I am slightly peeved. Do forgive me. -_-

Yeah you summed it up quite nicely. I can barely stomach the security expenses of a personal computer I cannot even fathom the expenses of properly securing a business. Even a tiny business oh man that's a large investment *sigh*.

Limited maneuverability is the key whether you pay for software or not. Yay for Juliette's noggin.
Psyko
The Irresistible

Malwarebytes is free and the best bet. The only program I ever found which could get rid of the fake anti-virus virus, and that includes many of the paid software.

Install it for the time you need it, then uninstall.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Sniperwax
Forum Regular

Psyko wrote:Malwarebytes is free and the best bet. The only program I ever found which could get rid of the fake anti-virus virus, and that includes many of the paid software.

Haven't uninstalled my free version in over 4 years maybe. It actually does a full reinstall every 2 weeks or so when you update the definitions. Another PC in my household does the paid version of MB and they are quite pleased with it as well.

Norton is the all around eye in the sky and the recent versions have the CPU performance addons and Norton Community task assessment addons. They are very nice and informative even for somewhat obscure files and downloads.

SpyBot is pretty much God when it comes to registry protection. There is a little curve in setting up the advanced settings but it is quality freebie software.

MalwareBytes, oh MalwareBytes. 10 other scanners came up with nothing but you found something lurking in the darkness. Will you marry me Malwarebytes?
The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Sniperwax wrote:
Psyko wrote:Malwarebytes is free and the best bet. The only program I ever found which could get rid of the fake anti-virus virus, and that includes many of the paid software.

Haven't uninstalled my free version in over 4 years maybe. It actually does a full reinstall every 2 weeks or so when you update the definitions. Another PC in my household does the paid version of MB and they are quite pleased with it as well.

Norton is the all around eye in the sky and the recent versions have the CPU performance addons and Norton Community task assessment addons. They are very nice and informative even for somewhat obscure files and downloads.

SpyBot is pretty much God when it comes to registry protection. There is a little curve in setting up the advanced settings but it is quality freebie software.

MalwareBytes, oh MalwareBytes. 10 other scanners came up with nothing but you found something lurking in the darkness. Will you marry me Malwarebytes?

*insert random remark about how Malwarebytes would find virus' on Sniperwax* >_>

:D
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Since I had a coupon laying around from a birthday, I acquired MalwareBytes. Lo! And behold, it was no more.

I think I know why I stopped trying to fix it when it first came up. I bought this solely on you recommendation, Psyko, so if this destroys my PC, I know who to chase around the globe with my unjustified wrath. On the other hand, you probably just helped some teenager get more money for weed.. :)

Return to “Forum Specific Issues/Requests/Bugs (NOT GAME ISSUES)”