Omitting certain sections from "View new posts"

for FORUM issues, complaints, requests, bugs, etc - - not game related...
DaDigi
Forum Elder
Alliance: I hate all equally
Race: Tri-athalon
ID: 46811

Omitting certain sections from "View new posts"

Does this version of phpBB have the ability to omit, for instance, market postings from the "View new posts" option?
DaDigi
Former Moderator for Market & Suggestions/Reports
~Odin~
Alföðr
Alliance: The Collective
Race: International Pimp
ID: 0

Re: Omitting certain sections from "View new posts"

hey! whats wrong with anything coming from the market?! lol
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 145,573,411,725,000 damage
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 3 damage
TGW Annual Community Awards 2014/2015
Spoiler
ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

you can opt out of market already..

now if I could opt out of GC that would be great :)
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rules
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
Spoiler
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Any section you are a member of the 'no x' usergroup of is not displayed in your 'View New Posts' list.

You can choose to be a member of the following groups:
    No Ascended
    No For Admin
    No Market
    No Newgrounds
    No Origins
    No Quantum
    No Spam Temple

(The other 'No x' usergroups are outdated.)

Interestingly though, since you are a Market Mod, I would consider it peculiar if you did join the 'No Market' usergroup. But who am I. ;)
I would urge you to discuss this with your Section Head; Noobert.
The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

DaDigi wrote:Does this version of phpBB have the ability to omit, for instance, market postings from the "View new posts" option?

I'm not sure of that ability, but from personal experience, market post still show up within "view new posts".
I'm fairly sure it's only the "no market" usergroup which restricts that. I'll double check that when I am awake tomorrow.
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD
Psyko
The Irresistible

Juliette wrote:Interestingly though, since you are a Market Mod, I would consider it peculiar if you did join the 'No Market' usergroup. But who am I. ;)

Glad I'm not the only one to find that odd.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
~Odin~
Alföðr

Psyko wrote:
Juliette wrote:Interestingly though, since you are a Market Mod, I would consider it peculiar if you did join the 'No Market' usergroup. But who am I. ;)

Glad I'm not the only one to find that odd.

lol u aren't hence our posts
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 145,573,411,725,000 damage
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 3 damage
Spoiler
DaDigi
Forum Elder

Hear me out. There are many new posts, both topics and replies, on this forum on a daily basis. I do not need, nor wish, to view every single new post, especially in the market. I'd much rather have a "View new posts (except market)" search, if you can believe it! Haha.

There used to be options to exclude certain forums from search results, although I'm not sure if this version has it or not.
DaDigi
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

DaDigi wrote:Hear me out. There are many new posts, both topics and replies, on this forum on a daily basis. I do not need, nor wish, to view every single new post, especially in the market. I'd much rather have a "View new posts (except market)" search, if you can believe it! Haha.

There used to be options to exclude certain forums from search results, although I'm not sure if this version has it or not.

I can't seem to find any mention of excluding it from this, short of excluding it from the search function completely.

Still looking though.
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
DaDigi
Forum Elder

As per older versions of phpBB, you could:

The easiest way is to disallow searching on those forums.
In Manage Forums, set "Enable search indexing:" to No. Then rebuild your search index.
DaDigi
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

DaDigi wrote:As per older versions of phpBB, you could:

The easiest way is to disallow searching on those forums.
In Manage Forums, set "Enable search indexing:" to No. Then rebuild your search index.

That removes it from the search option as well. And I think that only works with View Active Topics, not View New Topics.
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Zeratul wrote:

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Yup, and since DaDigi is one of the three people who do not want the Market in View New Posts, that would be shooting at a mosquito with an elephant gun.
~Odin~
Alföðr

Juliette wrote:Yup, and since DaDigi is one of the three people who do not want the Market in View New Posts, that would be shooting at a mosquito with an elephant gun.

What you dont do that? ..... 8-[
Spoiler
The Doctor
Time Lord

Honours and Awards

And this is relevant how? It doesn't matter who wants what. What matters is whether it is a valid request and whether it can be implemented without disrupting other forum features, if that is a possibility.
Formerly known as Haz

Spoiler
Zeratul wrote:

*that was kernal potter
*colonel

*and he starves
*hypothetically...
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Haz wrote:And this is relevant how? It doesn't matter who wants what. What matters is whether it is a valid request and whether it can be implemented without disrupting other forum features, if that is a possibility.
Where is that wall, I would like to bang my head against it..
Your response to his post (because yes, 'no search indexing' does remove the Market from the New Posts as well - it is just another view of search results after all) implied you considered it a valid option. It is not.

It would change things for the entire member base, not just the very few people who want it changed. Any hope you give on this subject is false hope. Unless you are seriously considering removing the Market from New Posts because 3 people do not want to see it.. :roll:

Instead of leaping to the assumption that I am saying it is a bad idea because DaDigi proposed it (which I find both ridiculous and extremely insulting towards my professionalism), read what I wrote. It is not a viable course of action because very few people want it, and your elephant gun would change it for everyone.

R.T.F.P.I.O.G.S.I.A.T.W.Y.A.B.

It is extremely simple. The answer to the thread is 'No, not on an individual basis for people who do want to retain access to the Market'. Aaand we're done. Next question.

Return to “Forum Specific Issues/Requests/Bugs (NOT GAME ISSUES)”