Reaseach and Development

NoDot
Forum Irregular
ID: 0

SGC_Replicators wrote:sweet my........ "OUR" idea is going somewhere

OK, alright, thanks for the base of the idea.
Trade Feedback Thread for NoDot
You recieved 980 Naquadriah in exchange for 490,000 Units!
Don't! Just...don't!
[SGC_ReplicÅtors]
Forum Addict

i dont want to take credit for this idea u guys did do more thinking than i did
Enfant Terrible
Forum Grunt

SGC_Replicators wrote:for these Reseach and Development should it be Gradual or Instant?

I'm not sure what you mean. It's gradual in the sense that you need to build up the research points to get the upgrade. But instant in the sense that once you spend the points the upgrade is immediate, unless you have to spend naq first to buy it.

SGC_Replicators wrote:add another option for attckers to "steal science" away

I suggested that a new spy function be implemented allowing research points to be stolen. I think it makes sense that it would be spies stealing the technology in the form of research points but it shouldn't be too easy so I don't think you should just be able to steal an upgrade.

NoDot wrote:You don't need a full bank, you just need enough points. You could have a full bank and use it to buy five different upgrades coutinually. Personally, I'd suggest that the Research Upgrades to cost the amount of a full Research Bank, (without any outer interferance like donating) though. (It just makes sense, IMO. You disagree?)

I agree.

NoDot wrote:Will we require Naquadah to purchase these upgrades?

I would say yes. When you research something you basically learn it's possible. Then you usually have to invest more money into making it happen so that seems realistic to me. Plus it makes the upgrades a little bit harder to acquire.

NoDot wrote:you may want it to be Offense/Defence oriented, rather than just oriented on defense.

Referring to the post on Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:18 pm. I'm not sure how you mean. I figured the strikes would depend on the player's offence and defending against those strikes would depend on defence. Just like when you attack normally for naquada. Except there would be 4 strike options to choose from for siege, fortification, spy level, and killing scientists.

This all has actually just inspired another offshoot idea. Well two. Should research capacity be counted in the rankings? And would this be a good reason to add a 5th race to the game? i.e. the Ancients who would get a 25% research bonus. :D I know a lot of people have been asking for the ancients to be added. This could be a good way to incorporate them.
NoDot
Forum Irregular

Enfant Terrible wrote:Just like when you attack normally for naquada.
OK, it seems we're agreeing, just didn't know it. OK, my bad.

This all has actually just inspired another offshoot idea. Well two. Should research capacity be counted in the rankings?
This sounds like a good idea.

And would this be a good reason to add a 5th race to the game? i.e. the Ancients who would get a 25% research bonus. :D I know a lot of people have been asking for the ancients to be added. This could be a good way to incorporate them.
You forget that they're ascended at the moment.
Don't! Just...don't!
[SGC_ReplicÅtors]
Forum Addict

and plus they dont meddle in other races affairs
Tain

Great idea. It will also give spies something else to do, other than steal peoples money and blow up their stuff. Stealing technology!

I also really like the idea of splitting it into two different areas, research and production.

Anyone here who has played the game "X-Com: Enemy Unknown" will know where i am going here.

You have scientists and engineers, both of which you recruit just like offense and defense guys now. Scientists research new things, engineers let you BUILD them. Depending on your "manufacture" rating, which would work just like strike, defense, or covert, you could be able to produce new things yourself, which the amount of turns it takes to produce something dependant on your manufacturing rating.

Its also important to say that we should still have the option of buying some stuff, when we need it in a pinch, like mercanaries, and some base weapons. Another important thing to emphasize is that if we ever do go to a production model, the things we make should have a chance of being destroyed in action. Otherwise we would end up with WAY too much stuff.
NoDot
Forum Irregular

Forum wrote:<thinking....>
and certainly now on the list....
Just curious: when can we expect this to be added to the game?
Don't! Just...don't!
Sleipnir
Merriest Mod in the West

Honours and Awards

Don't count on it anytime soon. It would probably mean a massive rewrite of the game. And there's still some other issues that have to be worked out first.

As soon as you build an idiot proof system, somebody else builds a better idiot.

If it moves, kill it. If it doesn't move, kick it until it does move, and then kill it.
Enfant Terrible
Forum Grunt

Sleipnir wrote:Don't count on it anytime soon. It would probably mean a massive rewrite of the game. And there's still some other issues that have to be worked out first.

Well keeping in mind that I know little about programming, couldn't the code for the spies simply be modified and renamed and mashed together with some of the code for the banks? maybe with a really big hammer?

With pin point strikes though yeah I can see that would take a while not just to code but to get all the equations sorted so that they are playable.

A question if admin has time to answer. How long did it take to get the game from an idea in your head to Day 1 of the game?

Return to “Suggestions Archive”