Masking & Internet Acronyms

Ombudsman Case Archives
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite
Race: Tollan
ID: 0

Masking & Internet Acronyms

Well as per advice I'm gonna post the question that I posed to Bill here for others to put forth their 2 cents

Original PM to Bill wrote:With regard to this thread and about the issue of masking.

Would I be right in assuming that the following would constitute examples of masking?

f*ck. f***, or even just ****

if that is the case then what is the policy on the following which seem to me a rather grey area and I have used at least one since the masking rule came in so perhaps its best to find out.

FFS, WTH, FUBAR, SNAFU and the various other combinations of letters that if spelt out fully would require the use of a swear word?

Your help in this matter would be appreciated

KitFox

Bill's Reply wrote:I would say that it's a grey area and i'll talk to clarky. WTH is normal for everyone, and not really masking in my opinion.

it'll need further discussion. post in my section and i'll get to work.

Bill

So then what do other think, would use of such acronyms as WTH (whiskey tango foxtrot) or the many many others that exist constitute an act of masking, as to write them out in full would require it?
The river tells no lies, yet standing at its shores the dishonest man still hears them

If you dont like what I post, then tough. Either dont read it or dont bother replying to it.
pianomutt20000
Forum Zombie
Race: Tauri

Re: Masking & Internet Acronyms

ok, so anything that has *$@#$!@ of some sort in it...and can be construed as a curse word is masking.

WTH, STHU and others are allowed.

But this isn't my call, it's for the 3 forum admins. I suggest that they consult each other, and come up with a clear policy.
urban assault wrote: Bill? Hey, I said I was kidding! Bill, don't push that red button!
Sometimes some of the mods will try to step on you, or even mod your section. My advice is to fill a sock with marbles and hit them repeatedly until they stop. - Pianomutt2000.
Nimras
Forum Addict
Alliance: Yggdrasil
Race: Viking
ID: 30667

pianomutt20000 wrote:ok, so anything that has *$@#$!@ of some sort in it...and can be construed as a curse word is masking.

WTH, STHU and others are allowed.

But this isn't my call, it's for the 3 forum admins. I suggest that they consult each other, and come up with a clear policy.

As i understood it reading the convo that day it was.

WTH and STHU can be warned and modded out depending on how it is used.

As long its not used in a sentence where it becomes a insult or more then its fine if it on the other hand is part or helping a insult on then its warnable or at least modable. But don't hold me to it thats just how i recall it was put forward.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

J clearly says WTH is fine, so warnable? I think not.
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite
Race: Tollan

Well I think that gives me my answer that general usage of such acronyms is allowed or at least not seen in the same light as swearing and masking.

Hope I havent caused any heated debates between the staff with this question. Thanks folks 8)
The river tells no lies, yet standing at its shores the dishonest man still hears them

If you dont like what I post, then tough. Either dont read it or dont bother replying to it.
Nimras
Forum Addict
Alliance: Yggdrasil
Race: Viking
ID: 30667

Lois Lane wrote:J clearly says WTH is fine, so warnable? I think not.

Actually if its is part of the insult or the insult its self depending on the insult then offcourse it is same with any other insults :P.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Nimras wrote:
Lois Lane wrote:J clearly says WTH is fine, so warnable? I think not.
Actually if its is part of the insult or the insult its self depending on the insult then offcourse it is same with any other insults :P.

That comment is inconsequential.

"WTH" in itself does not constitute an insult. It requires an actual insult for it to be added to, at which point the user already is in the red zone (by using an insult), the use of "WTH" does not make the insult (or the penalty) worse.

As I said.. inconsequential.
pianomutt20000
Forum Zombie
Race: Tauri

agreed, and i believe this topic is done.

Bill
urban assault wrote: Bill? Hey, I said I was kidding! Bill, don't push that red button!
Sometimes some of the mods will try to step on you, or even mod your section. My advice is to fill a sock with marbles and hit them repeatedly until they stop. - Pianomutt2000.

Return to “Case Archives”