MS Recall

Ridd1ck
Forum Elder
Alliance: Nemesis Tempest
Race: Necromonger
ID: 1961274

MS Recall

I was thinking this morning (I know Me Think, Impossible). But never the less, I had a thought. How hard would it be to add the code to Main for a recall option on your Mothership while it's exploring. Even now we can send a message to our submerged subs to return or at least surface to receive further instructions. So it just seems logical that you should be able to contact a starship even though it's in a game. Don't know how much coding it would involve but believe it would improve realism and functionality of the game.

Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)
Spyridon
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: TPE- Valkyria
Race: Tollan
ID: 1914495

Re: MS Recall

Yeah, that would help a lot. Though, just to make it harder, it shouldn't be instantanous recall. From the moment you recall it, a time period needs to elapse as it turns back around. Maybe an hour?

Also, any planet it can be trucking back needs to be abandon as well so the ship can return faster.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
~Albert Einstein
"Those who criticize our generation forget who raised it."
~ Unknown
Fallout
Forum Regular

not sure but i think this has been already suggested and got negative response.
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom
Alliance: The Dark Dominium Empire
Race: System Lord / AJNA
ID: 1928117

Honours and Awards

has been suggested repeatedly, and generally shot down.

Its highly exploitable as far as protecting your MS, and unless it comes with some hefty penilties it will not go through.

Player A has massive MS, sends it out exploring to protect it. Everyone knows when it was sent out. They expect it back at a set time. but he recalls it 3 hrs early, masses all the others MS's and leves his in a state of junk and unrepaired. You can never get revenge. It would just be another tactic for hit and run/gorrilla fighters.
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Age old saying that, "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"
Reason, youll get dead.
Ridd1ck
Forum Elder

Fallout wrote:not sure but i think this has been already suggested and got negative response.

That makes no sense Fallout, why would anyone dislike this suggestion? It makes logical, perfect sense. 8)

And Spyridon, just FYI your MS doesn't tow the planet back. It jsut breaks it out of orbit and "points" it in the direction of your realm, says so in the section above your planet summary. :-D

Ridd1ck
Forum Elder

Lore wrote:has been suggested repeatedly, and generally shot down.

Its highly exploitable as far as protecting your MS, and unless it comes with some hefty penilties it will not go through.

Player A has massive MS, sends it out exploring to protect it. Everyone knows when it was sent out. They expect it back at a set time. but he recalls it 3 hrs early, masses all the others MS's and leves his in a state of junk and unrepaired. You can never get revenge. It would just be another tactic for hit and run/gorrilla fighters.

If you add the time delay in the recall, it would slow that down to some extent. Even say just to cut in half the normal time (24 hrs).

Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

Lonewolf1968 wrote:

If you add the time delay in the recall, it would slow that down to some extent. Even say just to cut in half the normal time (24 hrs).

point still is, it gives the MS owner a stretigic advantage as they know when it returns, not everyone looking for it.

As I said, its been suggested and discussed and generally shot down because its exploitable. Without some definite downfalls, why give the snipers/gorilla fighters another tool in their arsinal? 90% of MS sent out are not looking for planets, but protection.
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Reason, youll get dead.
Spyridon
Forum Intermediate

What about the consequence of recalling it be that you can't send it out again for 24 hours after it returns back to the hanger bay due to the engines burning out from being maxed out on the return?

@LW, I haven't been able to see that since I got all ten planets which has been a while now. Point can still be made; it's not there to monitor the planet drifting toward the planet so the planet can veer off course or get stolen by another person.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
~Albert Einstein
~ Unknown
CABAL
Forum Expert
Alliance: Aquila Ignis
Race: Death Watch
ID: 0

Well... I think, you SHOULD be able to 'recall' your mothership within the turn change (i.e. if you sent your MS out while there were 28minutes left in a turn, you have 27minutes (just to be safe) to recall it, if you sent your MS out while there were still 2 minutes left, you would only have slightly less than 2 minutes to recall)

As this would be realistic, as it would be realistic to shout a "come back!" to a friend who accidentally drove off without you (not implying that that ever happened to me)...

MS-1 -> T-26 -> T-46 -> T-28 -> KV -> KV-3 -> IS -> IS-3 -> IS-4 -> IS-7
Norbe
Forum Elder
Alliance: TÅ Åtlantis Expedition
ID: 37481

Lore wrote:
Lonewolf1968 wrote:

point still is, it gives the MS owner a stretigic advantage as they know when it returns, not everyone looking for it.

As I said, its been suggested and discussed and generally shot down because its exploitable. Without some definite downfalls, why give the snipers/gorilla fighters another tool in their arsinal? 90% of MS sent out are not looking for planets, but protection.

I agree with Lore. Bad idea.

~Norbe~
Albert Einstein:"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Master Splinter:"The moral high ground...the best place to sight your artillery"
shooty08
Forum Regular
Alliance: The Collective
Race: Hell no, I'm lazy
ID: 1950023

It might be possible in reality but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for game mechanics. It probably wouldn't be hard to code, but its the type of thing you would put in a game against CPUs who won't complain about people who have better/cheaper strategies than them.
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

Hmm, kinda like Nox, great when you use it, really annoying when others use it.

Much as I love new idea's. On balance I would say NO to this one

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom

Honours and Awards

csp4.0 wrote:Well... I think, you SHOULD be able to 'recall' your mothership within the turn change (i.e. if you sent your MS out while there were 28minutes left in a turn, you have 27minutes (just to be safe) to recall it, if you sent your MS out while there were still 2 minutes left, you would only have slightly less than 2 minutes to recall)

As this would be realistic, as it would be realistic to shout a "come back!" to a friend who accidentally drove off without you (not implying that that ever happened to me)...

and I agree, just like i suggested when a planet is stolen, if you strike back in the same turn the planet isnt lost, if you strike back in the next turn then you only lose 1 turn getting it back. The entire MS/planet steal set up is so stupid.
Reason, youll get dead.
Spyridon
Forum Intermediate

It's highly exploitable if you can recall it and send it out back immediately after massing. But if you place a cost on it where you can't send it out when you do RECALL it for 24 hours then that leaves a window of being massed.

So the choice is, do you recall it and leave it open for 24 hours or do you let it run out and let it return on its own?

In the end it's all up to the user.

How about we run it in the beta server?
~Albert Einstein
~ Unknown
Nobody101
Fledgling Forumer
Race: guess???
ID: 0

Lore wrote:
csp4.0 wrote:Well... I think, you SHOULD be able to 'recall' your mothership within the turn change (i.e. if you sent your MS out while there were 28minutes left in a turn, you have 27minutes (just to be safe) to recall it, if you sent your MS out while there were still 2 minutes left, you would only have slightly less than 2 minutes to recall)

and I agree, just like i suggested when a planet is stolen, if you strike back in the same turn the planet isnt lost, if you strike back in the next turn then you only lose 1 turn getting it back. The entire MS/planet steal set up is so stupid.

Both very good ideas well thought out!!

Return to “Suggestions Archive”