Masking??

Want to address a Forum Mod directly? Here you go...
If you want a SPECIFIC mod, use PM, but for any mod, this is the quickest place...
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

Re: Masking??

RoKeT wrote:and TT i'm not spamming i'm simply saying how can people ask us to follow rules if they do not have a clear deffinition of the rules and Clarkey i have a daughter and i still don't understand where you are getting at? if you gave me a clear set of rules wat can and can not be said maybe i wouldn't be complaining ;)

Then request a set of rules elsewhere and keep this thread on topic. See as i said... commonsense.
Image ImageImageImage
Tropic Thunder
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: lol
Race: Lulz
ID: 69040

Dean Winchester wrote:
Tropic Thunder wrote:Yes but why? If people already know it is f*** then whats the harm in that? and if people do not know what it means then there is no detremental effect then.

Maybe if you become a parent one day you will understand.

That post hardly helps, does it. Its one of those snidy comments because you don't have a clue and you are a mindless sheep like everyone else.

@Roket, sorry mate but your not helping, im trying to get a decent response sorry
and clarkey this thread is for Mods, you are NOT a mod ;)

lulz?
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

Tropic Thunder wrote:
Dean Winchester wrote:
Tropic Thunder wrote:Yes but why? If people already know it is f*** then whats the harm in that? and if people do not know what it means then there is no detremental effect then.

That post hardly helps, does it. Its one of those snidy comments because you don't have a clue and you are a mindless sheep like everyone else.

@Roket, sorry mate but your not helping, im trying to get a decent response sorry

Young people ask a lot of questions. You said "if people do not know what it means then there is no detremental effect then". But then come the questions, what does f*** mean? and so on. Just because someone may not know doesn't mean it will pass them by.
Image ImageImageImage
Tropic Thunder
Forum Intermediate

Dean Winchester wrote:
Tropic Thunder wrote:
Dean Winchester wrote:

Young people ask a lot of questions. You said "if people do not know what it means then there is no detremental effect then". But then come the questions, what does f*** mean? and so on. Just because someone may not know doesn't mean it will pass them by.

Yes but if the word GT-FO they will NOT know what the F stands for do they? thats the point i am trying to make.

lulz?
Tropic Thunder
Forum Intermediate

SuperSaiyan wrote:
Tropic Thunder wrote:
Dean Winchester wrote:
Tropic Thunder wrote:
Dean Winchester wrote:

Yes but if the word GT-FO they will NOT know what the F stands for do they? thats the point i am trying to make.

it is blatenly obvious, and it is filtered for that reason :neutral:

Huh?
No they will not know that F stands for f*** will they? :roll:
unless i misunderstood you

Earendil wrote:Watch the spam and stay ontopic

Jason decided that they should be filtered, simple as that.

Use some language a bit higher than **Filtered** if you can, it's not that hard. I use it sometimes when i'm pissed off but still, i don't go running around evading the filter because of it. It's there for a reason, to keep the boards 'family friendly'

were not using the word f*** are we, were using GT-FO. :roll:

lulz?
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

It is also not a word that is really necessary. You can get by on the forums with out the need to say it, and if you want to say it then just say the word in full **Filtered** and leave it to the imagination.

Unless of course you have a legitimately good reason why people should have the need to say the word(s).
Image ImageImageImage
Tropic Thunder
Forum Intermediate

Earendil wrote:it is an acronym, it has the f from **Filtered** in it.

It's not going to change

So what if it has the letter F? Like i said even if the F stands for **Filtered** whats the problem, if they don't know what **Filtered** is then it will make no difference. AND even if they already know and have heard the word **Filtered**, as most people have, then whats the deal its not harmful.
The word is just a taboo, like the biting the thumb at peopple in 16th century was. things change. so why do what other people do and think
the way others do even if you don't understand it?

Dean Winchester wrote:It is also not a word that is really necessary. You can get by on the forums with out the need to say it, and if you want to say it then just say the word in full **Filtered** and leave it to the imagination.

Unless of course you have a legitimately good reason why people should have the need to say the word(s).

Ah but it is not unnecessary ;)

lulz?
RoKeT
Forum Zombie
Race: The King Jaffa

damn queer ass fagot vagina

these are the 5 words you can say that should not be allowed to be said wihtout the filter, i have been told aslong as it's not filtered it is allowed so if i get a warning i'm going to be very upset because i am simply asking,,, saying these words is allowed becasue there is not filter right?
Ex Mod
Looking for an Account?
Spoiler
I can find you one...
21 Accounts sold to Date
Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

RoKeT wrote:damn queer ass fagot vagina

these are the 5 words you can say that should not be allowed to be said wihtout the filter, i have been told aslong as it's not filtered it is allowed so if i get a warning i'm going to be very upset because i am simply asking,,, saying these words is allowed becasue there is not filter right?
You're spelling faggot wrong.. but if you're going to use those words like a twelve year old retard with Aspergers', on coke.. then you have no place in this forum and should be banned right this instant. If you have no intention of behaving anything like a social being, get the HELL out of here.
There's that rule against profanity, kiddo, and you're WAY past it.

Tropic Thunder, I can imagine how the young chap above is not helping your argument. Point remains, GT-FO or GTF-O or whatever way it's written, is masking because you evade a word filter. Using it differently is a matter of taste, and if you choose to risk a warning for profanity like your hothead friend, you will be warned for it. :)
Simple thing.

Masking = bad. = Evading word filter.
Profanity = bad. = Posting words as profanity.
Different things, same punishment.

Question answered, thread closed. This isn't a discussion forum.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

Earendil wrote:Jason decided that they should be filtered, simple as that.

[16:15:56 05/07/2008] <Wolf359> and I think smoosh asked me to bring this up a while ago when the rule change was being discussed - what about acronyms such as WTF etc?
[16:16:16 05/07/2008] <+FreeSpirit> depends on the use of it i say
[16:16:29 05/07/2008] <+FreeSpirit> i wanred peopel for it as its masking and dodging the word filter
[16:16:34 05/07/2008] <Wolf359> I made a point it was silly not to allow profanity/masking, but to allow things like WTH?
[16:16:37 05/07/2008] <+FreeSpirit> but only if they used it verbaly against someone else
01[16:16:44 05/07/2008] <+Jack> Acronyms are interpetated based on the individual's beliefs
[16:17:01 05/07/2008] <Wolf359> come on - we all know what it means
[16:17:03 05/07/2008] <+DaDigi> this is acceptable in my eyes... "WTF! how did xxx mass me last night!"
[16:17:11 05/07/2008] <+FreeSpirit> yeah
[16:17:29 05/07/2008] <+DaDigi> unacceptable - "wtf you @$$ why the fook did you do that"
[16:17:30 05/07/2008] <+FreeSpirit> personnaly i always use What the hell/heck
[16:17:36 05/07/2008] <~adminGone> w
tf is fine
[16:17:45 05/07/2008] <+S1eepy> What The Fudge are you talking about?
[16:17:46 05/07/2008] <Wolf359> it just seems silly to allow one form of profanity, and not another - frankly I don't care - just my opinion.
01[16:17:51 05/07/2008] <+Jack> Wolfe, we all know what it means
[16:17:51 05/07/2008] <Wolf359> lol
[16:17:52 05/07/2008] <~adminGone> if someone knows what it means - fine. no harm done. if they do not - no harm done
[16:18:02 05/07/2008] <+DaDigi> while there are times when you should and should not use it
01[16:18:09 05/07/2008] <+Jack> But different people interpet differently
[16:18:11 05/07/2008] <+DaDigi> we dont have the manpower to change every "wtf" that is posted
[16:18:17 05/07/2008] <~adminGone> i am less concerned with acronyms
[16:18:21 05/07/2008] <+DaDigi> thus, it should be left alone
[16:18:29 05/07/2008] <~adminGone> than actual 'i see it, i know its profanity' stuff
[16:18:41 05/07/2008] <Wolf359> what if I typed F*** in teh forum?
[16:18:57 05/07/2008] <~adminGone> i say ok, personally
[16:19:00 05/07/2008] <~adminGone> same logic

[16:19:05 05/07/2008] <+FreeSpirit> i understand wolfs point of vieuw but i also agree with digi that we simply dont have the manpower to mod it and enforce that rule
01[16:19:09 05/07/2008] <+Jack> Woot
[16:19:12 05/07/2008] <+DaDigi> if bazsy is doing is job, it should filter it by default
[16:19:12 05/07/2008] <+FreeSpirit> wtf is used since this game is born
[16:19:21 05/07/2008] <Wolf359> hmm - some would say it's masking
[16:19:22 05/07/2008] <+FreeSpirit> wolf
[16:19:24 05/07/2008] <+FreeSpirit> thats masking
[16:19:24 05/07/2008] <~adminGone> if its not profanity, its ok is my view

Jason decided that WTF and f*** etc were fine, it was Zeratul and the others that decided otherwise.

Yes, the log is old, but that's Jason's stance on the matter, the policy was changed by Zeratul months ago and done so without informing the mods. Let's stick to the facts, people.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Could we please either maintain a lock or have an open discussion, one of those options, not a "semi-open semi-discussion in a semi-locked thread".
:-k Introducing 'new' but outdated information only clouds the thread.

Return to “Talk to the Mods Direct”