Is human potential the same for everyone?

KnowLedge
Forum Elite
Race: Lord of all Daimon
ID: 0

Is human potential the same for everyone?

“Human potential is the same for all. Your feeling, “I am of no value”, is wrong. Absolutely wrong. You are deceiving yourself. We all have the power of thought – so what are you lacking? If you have willpower, then you can change anything. It is usually said that you are your own master.” – Dalai Lama

Now, do you think he is correct? Is everyone capable of becoming a musician? is everyone capable of becoming a doctor? or a football player? is Dalai Lama correct when he says that everyone is capable of doing everything, you just needs the willpower.

discuss
ask me anything, i shell provide you free knowledge

Untrained Units Sold : 1245 Million UU

Am I a Good trader??
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=114491
HellGirl is my **Filtered**!
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

Re: Is human potential the same for everyone?

Tis the old argument between Nature and Nurture.

Truth is both play a part, nurture is very important because it is the part we have some control over, our upbringing, where we live, education, exercise, diet etc, determine how much of our potential we achieve. Although even nurture is limited by your starting position, where you are born, how much money your family has, what family commitments you have by way of having to work at a young age or look after relatives. Nature does play a part, people are NOT equal, some are smarter, some are physically stronger / healthier, different heights, lung capacities, more predisposed to illness etc and although some elements of our natural abilities can be overcome by working harder, there are elements that cant be overcome.

IQ tests dont test knowledge or rely on education, and IQ varies greatly. Artistic and creative qualities and far harder to measure but all mental abilities and potentials vary in the same way IQ does.

Physical potential is more obvious, just look around, look at the the variety of shapes & sizes of people, look at those who suffer from congenital illness despite healthy lifestyles and those lucky enough to be healthy even though they abuse their bodies with poor lifestyles.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Eelyzabth
Forum Irregular
Alliance: DDE
Race: replicator
ID: 1961519

everybody is capable of learning to do anything... to a certain degree, but to be truly GOOD at anything, you need 2 things 1) a natural predisposition and 2) passion

You can passionately want to be a muscian, but if you are tone deaf, the best you will manage is average

You can be a natural born artist, but without passion your art will be souless

however the Dalai Lama's words should be inspiring to anyone who wants to do something with a passion, or needs to learn something they find boring (like geography...) because what he is saying is basically this : If you don't try, you will never succeed
Some girls turn heads. DDE girls break necks.....oh and.... Its NOT a bra, its a lacy summer top!!
My DDE Medals
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Field Marshall wrote: Lizzy for president =D>
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

Everyone has potential. To say that everyone has the same potential or equal potential is just down right retarded.

Like Lizz said, not everyone has potential to be an artist. Someone might make a great football player, but a horrible mathematician for example.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
GrizzZzzly
Furling
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Bear
ID: 29003

All very well but lets take football as an example. when we consider a talented football player and a not so talented football player. The potential of the talented footballer is greater. However how close to his potential will the talented player become? Not even close. Sure if both player trained equally, ate the same food etc you'd think the talented player would far exceed the less talented player. But then lets think again, what makes a good football player? skill with the ball? awareness? physical ability/acceleration/aggressiveness? mental strength? So many factors to consider when judging who has more potential or is more talented. Most coaches have a specific fashion of training so depending on their specific priorities in training, some footballers will outshine the others. Now all of a sudden it's less clear who really has more potential.

All jobs, sports, activities require multiple skills, which in turn might also require skills and so on and so forth.
Spoiler
[TL]Brdavs says:
I reckon his mum gonna get him socks and stuff
time for me to step up :P
keep the childhood rolling
you know its over when you start getting underwear for christmas
I still tear up when I remember when my childhood ended like that
poof
one year legos
next year "brdavs, you`re 23 dont you think youre a bit old for legos now"
brutal I tell you
Spoiler
Mordack wrote:Personally, I am not a huge fan of life. I am of the general opinion that, from start to finish, it's painful and miserable; and that anybody that tells you differently is either trying to have sex with you or sell or you something.

Similarly, I believe that people in general are inherently flawed. Deep down, we are programmed to hurt one another; either physically or emotionally. People are naturally selfish and greedy; governed more by bestial urges than common sense or ethics. Society is a terrible thing, too. The more supposedly civilized we become, the more immorality and decadence become the main staple of our daily diet.

Before Lost concluded, my main flippant excuse for not killing myself was that I wanted to know how it ended. I will get back to you with a new one when I find it.
Spoiler
EPA BMMJ13 says:
:(
you should go eat
like 30 of them 32 oz steaks
Stanley says:
im stuffed right now
EPA BMMJ13 says:
store them in your cheeks for later
KnowLedge
Forum Elite

I strongly do not consider athletic intelligence as intelligence that we can use to measure potential, simply because anyone can be an athlete (just need practice). If one stops all work and concentrates on being a soccer player, than I am positive that one will be good enough to join EPL..

for some reason I can never see people having different potentials, even though it may have been proven. I think if one stops everything and concentrate on the one thing that they want to accomplish, then its very much possible even for the biggest idiot.

to me, all one needs is practice and willpower!

Am I a Good trader??
Jim
Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

At this point I would like to take the example of Juggling.

I have dyspraxia so my hand eye co-ordination is terrible. It always has been. One day I decided I wanted to learn to juggle and 3 days later I could.

I then decided to teach a number of my friends who all decided "I cant to do it, my hand eye co-ordination is too bad." I said yeah whatever and gave up on them.

Then a friend of mine that is blind in one eye decided to give it a try. He said "I dont have depth perception at all because I only have one eye" I said, "Thats fair enough and makes sense, but I think you can do it." He kept trying and now he is as good as me.

Now if anyone says "I cant learn, my hand eye co-ordination is too bad" I say, "Shut the hell up, I can do it with a minor disability and he can do it with only one eye."

All it takes to learn is time and effort. Time and effort may vary for some people but everyone can do it. Man up and try.
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie

We all have different gifts, different trains of thought..some people have locked potential and some unlocked..do not think athleticism requires less thought than say math..it takes the will to endure physical hardship to be an actual athlete which in turn requires mental discipline which is predicated on in depth thought. I dont think any opinion in this area is retarded.

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
KnowLedge
Forum Elite

exactly, most of us here agree that anything can be accomplished with some practice. yes some people can be gifted to think outside the box like Einstein, but with a little bit of practice.. we all can. Yes some people are good with math, but with some practice we all can..

why then does science say that everyone's potential is different.. this is something is so wrong to me. because we all have had experiences where we thought we have no potential in that matter, yet we can practice for a couple of days and get really good at it for some reason.

Am I a Good trader??
ljietuvis
Fledgling Forumer
ID: 1971117

My apologies for my poor English
Richard Feynman wrote:God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand. Now, when you finally discover how something works, you get some laws which you're taking away from God; you don't need him anymore. But you need him for the other mysteries. So therefore you leave him to create the universe because we haven't figured that out yet; you need him for understanding those things which you don't believe the laws will explain, such as consciousness, or why you only live to a certain length of time — life and death — stuff like that. God is always associated with those things that you do not understand.
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict

KnowLedge wrote:exactly, most of us here agree that anything can be accomplished with some practice. yes some people can be gifted to think outside the box like Einstein, but with a little bit of practice.. we all can. Yes some people are good with math, but with some practice we all can..

why then does science say that everyone's potential is different.. this is something is so wrong to me. because we all have had experiences where we thought we have no potential in that matter, yet we can practice for a couple of days and get really good at it for some reason.

Think you need to re-read the earlier posts, you clearly have no natural aptitude for this subject and will need to put in much more effort to achieve the same understanding of those who do :smt043

Spoiler
Planets Taken(5000) 411
KnowLedge
Forum Elite

MEZZANINE wrote:
KnowLedge wrote:exactly, most of us here agree that anything can be accomplished with some practice. yes some people can be gifted to think outside the box like Einstein, but with a little bit of practice.. we all can. Yes some people are good with math, but with some practice we all can..

Think you need to re-read the earlier posts, you clearly have no natural aptitude for this subject and will need to put in much more effort to achieve the same understanding of those who do :smt043

are you calling me stupid?
at least im not so attracted by a computer game to have been playing it in my adult age for 5-6 years now. Midlife crises anyone? :smt106 :smt106 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102

but seriously, I did read your post and I don't see how you can be more knowledgeable then me on the subject, seeing as I am the OP and obviously have wondered and discussed this with others.

so tell me what makes me unknowable? did you even understand my post/ideas?..
or does lack of understanding force you to insult?

Am I a Good trader??
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict

KnowLedge wrote:
MEZZANINE wrote:

at least im not so attracted by a computer game to have been playing it in my adult age for 5-6 years now. Midlife crises anyone? :smt106 :smt106 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102

but seriously, I did read your post and I don't see how you can be more knowledgeable then me on the subject, seeing as I am the OP and obviously have wondered and discussed this with others.

lol It has nothing to do with stupid or clever mate, I was just making a point in a joke, some people have natural aptitude or ability in some area's or subjects.

Im sure there are things I am naturally good at and you are not, and things you are naturally good at that I am not, doesnt mean we cant do the things that dont come naturally to us, just means those things require far more effort and if equal effort put in by both in the same subject the one with natural ability will achieve more.

As for your comment about playing this game to long I agree, but that applies to half the people in this forum, and when my midlife crisis comes you'll see me posting pictures of my shiny new Porsche :-D

Spoiler
Planets Taken(5000) 411
GrizzZzzly
Furling
Alliance: Tauri Alliance
Race: Bear
ID: 29003

Spoiler
[TL]Brdavs says:
I reckon his mum gonna get him socks and stuff
time for me to step up :P
keep the childhood rolling
you know its over when you start getting underwear for christmas
I still tear up when I remember when my childhood ended like that
poof
one year legos
next year "brdavs, you`re 23 dont you think youre a bit old for legos now"
brutal I tell you
Spoiler
Mordack wrote:Personally, I am not a huge fan of life. I am of the general opinion that, from start to finish, it's painful and miserable; and that anybody that tells you differently is either trying to have sex with you or sell or you something.

Similarly, I believe that people in general are inherently flawed. Deep down, we are programmed to hurt one another; either physically or emotionally. People are naturally selfish and greedy; governed more by bestial urges than common sense or ethics. Society is a terrible thing, too. The more supposedly civilized we become, the more immorality and decadence become the main staple of our daily diet.

Before Lost concluded, my main flippant excuse for not killing myself was that I wanted to know how it ended. I will get back to you with a new one when I find it.
Spoiler
EPA BMMJ13 says:
:(
you should go eat
like 30 of them 32 oz steaks
Stanley says:
im stuffed right now
EPA BMMJ13 says:
store them in your cheeks for later
KnowLedge
Forum Elite

I guess Im not good with sarcasm.. much like Sheldon from the big bang theory..

I highly doubt there is something you can do well from the start without 'learning' it.. I think it all depends on the growth of that being..
but I think the answer lies in the link that GrizzZzzly posted.. I shall watch it later
I like the link, thanks GrizzZzzly,

MEZZANINE wrote:
KnowLedge wrote:
MEZZANINE wrote:

lol It has nothing to do with stupid or clever mate, I was just making a point in a joke, some people have natural aptitude or ability in some area's or subjects.

Im sure there are things I am naturally good at and you are not, and things you are naturally good at that I am not, doesnt mean we cant do the things that dont come naturally to us, just means those things require far more effort and if equal effort put in by both in the same subject the one with natural ability will achieve more.

As for your comment about playing this game to long I agree, but that applies to half the people in this forum, and when my midlife crisis comes you'll see me posting pictures of my shiny new Porsche :-D

Am I a Good trader??

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”