Carlos Tevez, £250k a week but doesn't want to play

For the discussion of sports. Moo?

What do you think about Carlos Tevez case?

He's a "spoiled brat" & should face more 'cuts' in his income due to his behaviour
50%
Manchester City is at fault: they should have/let him go to another club, family goes first
7%
He's an obvious example of why football is going wrong nowadays
29%
There's no problems with this case
7%
I don't know
7%

Total votes: 14
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Carlos Tevez, £250k a week but doesn't want to play

What's your opinion about Carlos Tevez not wanting to play for weeks already, due to "family reasons" (wants to quit MC to get closer to his family), but whose salary is £250000/week (£1,000,000/month)?
He was fined by his club for his refusal to play (a month worth of salary, £1m) http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... rlos-tevez
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
VeNoM56k
Forum Expert
Race: Demon Lord
ID: 1905994

Re: Carlos Tevez, £250k a week but doesn't want to play

I dont watch football anymore and this is a prime example of why. He is a disgrace to football.

Not even that, look at the money he is on. He wont go onto a pitch and kick a ball around for 250k a week. He shouldnt be allowed to play football with his attidude.
Drink till you can't drink anymore, then drink some more

Click Here For My
Trade Feedback
Dmonix
Count Duckula
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Scouse
ID: 21000

Re: Carlos Tevez, £250k a week but doesn't want to play

It's a difficult one to be definitively on a side for for me.

He can say he wants to be closer to his family or wants to play for a club that feels more like home but at the end of the day he wants to be a professional footballer. Refusing to warm up or play takes away from the professionalism which in my opinion should mean any club he goes to from Manchester City he should pay to be a member of that club because he has shown he is in no way a professional.

Manchester City should probably let him go just based on the amount they are losing in paying his wages and they can't fine him further for his indiscretion. Rather give him the opportunity to show he can be a professional and do his job that he signed a contract saying he would do.

Yes he is a spoiled brat, no two ways about it. For the first time in his career he is being forced to play for his position on the field and he doesn't like it, he wants to be first choice and he wants to play every minute of a game. That shows he wants to play football but he can't play in any situation where he isn't the go to guy.

You can see clearly why Manchester United let him go, Sir Alex has a policy of playing for the club before playing for yourself or for money. As a team member you need to accept that you may not be able to play every game. As a member of a squad like Manchester United it's pretty much an unwritten rule. You can't build a strong squad if you have to play the same player for every game, two games a week over a month or two long period will get any player fatigued.

Personally I think Manchester City shoot themselves in the foot with each signing and this is a brilliant example of why. They could keep Tevez on the bench until his contracts up and then let him go to Boca Juniors (Who probably wouldn't take a 30+ year old who hasn't played in two years), but it would cost them one million pounds a month to do so. Alternatively they could cancel his contract, pay him out for it (Which will no doubt be a hefty amount), and send him on his way a few million pounds to the good to go be his bratty self wherever would be willing to take him.

No I don't think he's an example of how footballers have gone wrong, he's a rare case of a spoiled brat not getting what he wants (Another of course being Fernando Torres and look how he's done), but it is an example of how football investment has gone wrong. Financial limits should be put in place and player prices regulated. Not because it isn't entertaining to see players go for 50 million or more but with all this money flying around clubs are shooting themselves in the foot promising huge amounts of money to players without regard for if the players wish to be at that club. I heard an interesting statistic the other day along the lines of: If normal inflation rates were applied to footballers values and you take the record signing during the 70s. By average inflation rates Christiano Ronaldo should've been transferred for around 2.5 million pounds. (I'm not entirely sure I got that right because my memory is a bit fuzzy)

I think I went a bit off topic there but at the same time I hope it was worth the read.

Spoiler
Kikaz wrote:Thanks to:
MaYHeM - You guys were the closest thing I've found to family in this game, thanks for giving me a chance and eventually being crazy enough to vote me onto your high council and eventually let me lead you for several months. I had a blast with you guys.

Return to “Sports Section”