The Iron Lady

Chat about your favorite movie?
Does that new film look great or like an epic fail?
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

The Iron Lady

Those of a left wing inclination may wish to look away now..

http://youtu.be/yDiCFY2zsfc
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: The Iron Lady

Grand indeed.
Mordack
The Spider

Honours and Awards

Mrs Thatcher is, without a doubt, the single most influential figure in British politics. She wasn't a person, she was a one woman hurricane. The most memorable leaders are those who change the way we think, and Maggie changed the thinking of a generation. The mere mention of her name is enough to polarize people. Even today, 52 years after she became an MP, 32 years after she became Prime Minister and 21 years after she left office, the mere mention of her name continues to provoke the strongest of emotions amongst the politically inclined.

To those on the left, she's a bogeyman. They hate her. Nothing inspires greater venom than the mention of Lady T. They've written songs about dancing on her grave, they've promised to hold street parties the day she dies, and they remain adamant that she was the single worst thing to happen to the United Kingdom in its entire history.

To those in the right, she is a goddess. They think she brought this country back from the brink. They think she made Britain great again. In the Conservative Party, she isn't called Maggie, or Mrs Thatcher, she's simply called 'Mother.' They don't think they'll ever be anybody like her. They're probably right.

In both instances, she has became mythological. They say this film isn't political, and I hope so. Whatever you may think of her, Margaret Thatcher was a remarkable woman. She didn't so much pass barriers, as smash them through with her handbag. I hope this film isn't a political statement, which I'm confident it won't be. I'd be more interested in a character study.
Last edited by Mordack on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

(TB)
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

Mordack wrote:Mrs Thatcher is, without a doubt, the single most influential figure in British politics. She wasn't a person, she was a one woman hurricane. The most memorable leaders are those who change the way we think, and Maggie changed the thinking of a generation. The mere mention of her name is enough to polarize people. Even today, 62 years after she became an MP, 32 years after she became Prime Minister and 21 years after she left office, the mere mention of her name continues to provoke the strongest of emotions amongst the politically inclined.

To those on the left, she's a bogeyman. They hate her. Nothing inspires greater venom than the mention of Lady T. They've written songs about dancing on her grave, they've promised to hold street parties the day she dies, and they remain adamant that she was the single worst thing to happen to the United Kingdom in its entire history.

To those in the right, she is a goddess. They think she brought this country back from the brink. They think she made Britain great again. In the Conservative Party, she isn't called Maggie, or Mrs Thatcher, she's simply called 'Mother.' They don't think they'll ever be anybody like her. They're probably right.

In both instances, she has became mythological. They say this film isn't political, and I hope so. Whatever you may think of her, Margaret Thatcher was a remarkable woman. She didn't so much pass barriers, as smash them through with her handbag. I hope this film isn't a political statement, which I'm confident it won't be. I'd be more interested in a character study.

^ I think Mordacks in lurveeee ^

As someone who grew up in the 80s I would say Maggie was the only UK political leader in my lifetime who ever made me proud to be British. Politics is a dirty word these days, all liers and cheats, Id say Maggie ( and her opponents of the time ) were the last generation of politicians who actually believed in something, not like the middle of the road 'promise whatever the media says the people want' types of today. She stood strong on the world stage alongside Gorbi & Ronnie, and she made the tough unpopular decisions at home that were needed at the time.

Made me laugh a few years back when the US thought they were being sooo 'progressive' choosing between a Woman and a Black candidate, in the UK we had a woman head of state and woman head of government for over a decade 30 years ago lol

That said, Maggie in hindsight was far from perfect,

Yes she had to kill the unions that held the country to ransom, but killing manufacturing and mining industries at the same time was a mistake.

Yes selling of council homes was needed, but the money from the sales should have gone into building new homes and we are today paying the price for that.

Yes the utilities were badly run and uneconomical and privatization fixed that, but this gave those able to buy shares at the time a nice windfall and now all the utilities have been bought up there is no competitive pricing, just price fixing and profiteering. The Utilities should have been profit capped at a couple of %, a fair small profit for providing an essential service.

Deregulating banks gave a huge boost to the UK economy but there should have been safe guards in place to keep investment banks and high street banks separate.

The Poll Tax, the idea that ended the Iron Lady's reign was very fair in some ways and closed many loopholes in shared housing but was doomed to fail since in most cases it increased the tax burden on the poor and lowered it on the wealthy. This was obviously a suicide policy and I never understood why she tried to do it.

Personally I believe Maggie saved the country from the loony lefties, but Im not blind to the many mistakes she made that we are still paying for today.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Mordack
The Spider

Honours and Awards

Not in love, at least not in that way. There's a reason we refer to her as Mother.

(TB)

Return to “Grand Cinema”