Tournament Prizes

For general discussion about the tournament, battles, vendettas and for requesting team members or requesting to be apart of a team.
Slim87R
Forum Expert

Tournament Prizes

I came up with an idea.

Since newer players don't stand much of a chance winning these things I think there should be 1 prize that is awarded to a player that did not get in the top 3. A participants name should be randomly drawn to get said prize. The prize doesn't need to be huge, and it would give extra incentive for smaller players to join in since they now have a chance at winning something.

Thoughts?
ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

Re: Tournament Prizes

there is a price for last place getter ..
but maybe a prise for the highest rank newcomer to Tourneys.. some newbs have done very well in past events

I'd also like to see a ban on the same ppl being eligible for a prize.. or a reduction in what you get if you are a past winner...
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rules
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
Spoiler
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.
~Tziki~
Forum Addict
Alliance: The Order
Race: Drunken Monkey

id say a vote system, but could be abused :(

perhaps a prize for most active or most planets killed etc?
--------
Scott - Harchester wrote:Kev is the Chuck Norris of Gatewars, He doesn't join active alliances - the active alliances join him.
Sol
Forum Addict
ID: 0

~Tziki~ wrote:id say a vote system, but could be abused :(

Not doing a vote system.
And I think **Filtered** is looking for more of a noobie prize. Which there already is a last place prize for...
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.
Kikaz
For the Lulz
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: Lulz
ID: 3471
Alternate name(s): Misery

Would be cool if the top 10 got something as well possibly even just 1 max turn refill?
Quotes
Meanwhile in MaYHeM
Duderanch wrote:And so it would come to pass, in December of 2012 the war between the ponies and the pandas broke out..it lasted 21 days, the result? Armagedon.
Noobert wrote:Kikaz scares me at times, and he's in my own alliance.
Dr. House wrote:I HAVE THE POWER! The power to warn, and I will **Filtered** use it too.
Kateaclysmic wrote: I thought you loved me, Kikaz. I'm getting an abortion.
Sarevok wrote:
Kikaz wrote:Ridiculous.
Congrats on the most constructive post ever...
Affirmation wrote: And Speaking of bad boys (the baddest)... Kikaz is right, Q is a family, and Affy is the love child of Kikaz and Kateaclysmic!! That is right... I am NOT AN ABORTION... but she never nursed me and Kikaz stopped being a terrible father figure to Affy years ago... Family - HA... Affy's old arse...[-X

Where is the love Kikaz??? WHERE IS THE LOVE (Dad... :smt047 ) ??? [-(
I creep though shadows
I rise up at night
I live just inside you
And give you a terrible fright
I walk through the darkness
I lurk under your bed
I live in your wardrobe
I creep up in the shed.
I tiptoe through the corridor
I follow you anywhere
I rip your braveness apart
And never ever care
I am fear so don't come near..
2007 Quantum Player of the Year Runner-up - 2011 Villian of the Year - 2012 Hall of Fame - 2012 Quantum Player of the Year Runner-up - Leader and Co-founder of the 2014 Alliance of the Year
ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

Sol wrote:

Not doing a vote system.
And I think **Filtered** is looking for more of a noobie prize. Which there already is a last place prize for...

that's not just a noobie prize though is it? anyone no matter how many tourney's they have been in can get it

hense why I suggested the highest place player in their initial tourney .. you already have the thingy that tells you how many tourney's an accounts been in
Would help encourage new ppl to join and to actively participate not just join to get the achievement ticked of the list :)
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rules
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
Spoiler
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.
Sol
Forum Addict
ID: 0

fem fatale wrote:
Sol wrote:

Not doing a vote system.

that's not just a noobie prize though is it? anyone no matter how many tourney's they have been in can get it

hense why I suggested the highest place player in their initial tourney .. you already have the thingy that tells you how many tourney's an accounts been in
Would help encourage new ppl to join and to actively participate not just join to get the achievement ticked of the list :)

That doesn't refine the prize to noobs only (unless you want tournament noobs to get the prize..which kinda makes no sense...).
Low leveled players get a planetary boost anyway, there isn't really much need for giving out prizes for people who sucked, or were otherwise too lazy to do anything.

@tziki again, activity can't really be measured except in terms of AT's used or planets destroyed, both in which case will most likely be rewarded to ranks 1, 2 or 3 anyway.

@kikaz, I was considering having a small participation prize to stop a few people **Filtered** about how they can't farm or they don't get planets or income etc. Probably being 1k turns or something...
Field Marshall wrote:
Sol wrote:It's not going to destroy your life :P
Really?
I think this is sig worthy in fact.
Kikaz
For the Lulz
Alliance: Jötunheim
Race: Lulz
ID: 3471
Alternate name(s): Misery

lol well I don't think everyone should get something, that would just be lame, but making it to the final 10 when 60 people sign up is kind of an accomplishment is all I was saying.
Quotes
Meanwhile in MaYHeM
Duderanch wrote:And so it would come to pass, in December of 2012 the war between the ponies and the pandas broke out..it lasted 21 days, the result? Armagedon.
Noobert wrote:Kikaz scares me at times, and he's in my own alliance.
Dr. House wrote:I HAVE THE POWER! The power to warn, and I will **Filtered** use it too.
Kateaclysmic wrote: I thought you loved me, Kikaz. I'm getting an abortion.
Sarevok wrote:
Kikaz wrote:Ridiculous.
Congrats on the most constructive post ever...
Affirmation wrote: And Speaking of bad boys (the baddest)... Kikaz is right, Q is a family, and Affy is the love child of Kikaz and Kateaclysmic!! That is right... I am NOT AN ABORTION... but she never nursed me and Kikaz stopped being a terrible father figure to Affy years ago... Family - HA... Affy's old arse...[-X

Where is the love Kikaz??? WHERE IS THE LOVE (Dad... :smt047 ) ??? [-(
I creep though shadows
I rise up at night
I live just inside you
And give you a terrible fright
I walk through the darkness
I lurk under your bed
I live in your wardrobe
I creep up in the shed.
I tiptoe through the corridor
I follow you anywhere
I rip your braveness apart
And never ever care
I am fear so don't come near..
2007 Quantum Player of the Year Runner-up - 2011 Villian of the Year - 2012 Hall of Fame - 2012 Quantum Player of the Year Runner-up - Leader and Co-founder of the 2014 Alliance of the Year
Slim87R
Forum Expert

Well, I think giving out a prize to everyone is dumb. That would be like schools nowadays that give everybody trophies just for participating. Doesn't teach real world values. I am saying just 1 prize awarded randomly to encourage participation. Anyone can get it big or small. Now I know that statement goes against my "Real world values" statement because someone would get a prize just for participating, but I am not saying give it to everyone. Just one person to encourage that extra participation.

Of course there is a flip side to that coin. This could make it so alot more people join in just for the chance at that particular prize but don't do anything knowing they might get something for nothing. But hey, more farms for the actives.
Remedy™
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: MaYHem
Race: Tauri
ID: 1933065
Alternate name(s): Eminent Domain

fem fatale wrote:there is a price for last place getter ..
but maybe a prise for the highest rank newcomer to Tourneys.. some newbs have done very well in past events

I'd also like to see a ban on the same ppl being eligible for a prize.. or a reduction in what you get if you are a past winner...

So what you're saying is the people that do well should be punished? That's ridiculous. If/when you're the best, it should show that you're the best. You should never be penalized for being number 1.

I Think top 8-10 getting a turn refill is fair. I think it's tough to boost activity/participation no matter what.

Giving a random prize, not so fond of that either. You don't want people entering something just in hopes of gettng a prize without doing anything.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

I think there is no need to boost activity as long as the Tournament start is not bugged. :)
I know 5 members of our alliance missed the 'cut' when we were all kicked out and had to re-apply quickly.

Last Tournament had what, 120 players? This one had 68, but if my observation is correct and more universally applicable, there would have been a lot more. :P So yeah, squarely on the glitch.

Nonsense like 'participation awards' should be discarded as the spam it is if it were up to me. *grin* Whine about not being able to square off against the top players all you like, but the first achievement that actually requires you to "WIN" a Tournament is so far off, that by the time you are eligible for that one, your account will be such a killer that your point will be moot. :-D
Slim87R
Forum Expert

Juliette wrote:I think there is no need to boost activity as long as the Tournament start is not bugged. :)
I know 5 members of our alliance missed the 'cut' when we were all kicked out and had to re-apply quickly.

Last Tournament had what, 120 players? This one had 68, but if my observation is correct and more universally applicable, there would have been a lot more. :P So yeah, squarely on the glitch.

Nonsense like 'participation awards' should be discarded as the spam it is if it were up to me. *grin* Whine about not being able to square off against the top players all you like, but the first achievement that actually requires you to "WIN" a Tournament is so far off, that by the time you are eligible for that one, your account will be such a killer that your point will be moot. :-D

That is a very good point.
So the random prize idea is dumb. I do like the idea that someone else pointed out about the top 10 or so getting a turn refill for their efforts. Top ten is a decent achievement.
Also once the tournaments are automated they will occur more often so we wont have to wait an extremely long time to get those achievements when we get to that point.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

I would not say that it is a dumb idea, I just doubt that it will go far in achieving what you have in mind. :)

The top 10 turn refill seems like reasonable incentive, while I doubt that it is necessary, it cannot harm to put something innocuous like that in. *grin*

**Filtered** wrote:That is a very good point.
So the random prize idea is dumb. I do like the idea that someone else pointed out about the top 10 or so getting a turn refill for their efforts. Top ten is a decent achievement.
Also once the tournaments are automated they will occur more often so we wont have to wait an extremely long time to get those achievements when we get to that point.

Return to “Tournament Discussion”