Awards 2014

Forum for all general ingame discussion.
~Odin~
Alföðr
Alliance: The Collective
Race: International Pimp
ID: 0

Re: Awards 2014

Are these underway yet? I was just wondering if I need to re-join voters group or not this time around or if it is already underway and I just cant see that section of the forum? Should be interesting to see some of the categories for this round :)
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 145,573,411,725,000 damage
The forces of harchester fought back with all they could, and managed to inflict 3 damage
TGW Annual Community Awards 2014/2015
Spoiler
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Caprila wrote:
Ra wrote:
Mordack wrote:Add me to the fall of fame. I'm not usually one for self-aggrandisement, but some of the people there at the moment were complete losers. Loony bipolar Teal'auc, Tweetygirl the jezebel and WTH even remembers who Genlucky was nowadays. If those idiots are up there, I really do think I should be considered.
Honestly what did you do those three didn't? I mean, did they take your milk money?
The difficulty of 'SGW Community' Awards, is many of it's players don't step foot outside their alliance skype/forums. So while you may see someone put his time in every day, to teach others, to run the alliance logistics and events.. part of what makes this game great... no one outside his alliance will ever see that.

Likewise on the other side of the coin, many of the truly horrific things done in the name of this game, both in Real Life and ingame, also remain locked up in various HC closets. It's never 'cool', to air dirty laundry on the forums, but it provides a new way of looking at some of the forum warriors that call themselves 'Villians' these days.

Being in the Hall of Fame doesn't make them make them 'Legendary', or that they had the biggest impact on the game. Just at that time, they were "popular" on the main forums and/or managed to persuade/threaten other players into replying to a forum thread for them.

The forum awards are just that, a bit of fun for the portion of the SGW community that enjoys trolling posting on the forums. Most of the replies to this thread follow this culture & trying to make 'serious' sounding awards about the biggest impact on this game will fall flat when your voters biggest concerns regard who can post the best troll memes.
Honestly, I was just being a bit facetious in order to prove a wider point. In her defence Tweetygirl did do a few players I never did so perhaps her place there is warranted. Caprila makes a few other good points, although I would argue that some 'quieter' players did make it into the Hall of Game. Although I was sarcastic about GenLucky, he was an 'under the radar' player who was nonetheless competent and did a good job of running the Dirty Dozen.

I think, and have always thought, that the awards are over-policed. It created more work for the moderators, for a start. Every year it required more and more work because the organizers created more and more rules. I volunteered one year and I spent more time on the awards than in General.

Just as in real life, I think you deserve whatever you vote for. Had the admin not created so much bureaucracy then for good or ill then the results would have reflected the community they strove for rpresent for better or for worse.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Quina Quen
Forum Addict
Alternate name(s): Diamond Dust

Just give the man a HoF spot already.
The ascended entity formerly known as Diamond Dust
Oreo
Fledgling Forumer
Alternate name(s): E

An easy way to end all this award crap,

1 award for who got the most ME.
its a war game that should be the only award.
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

No one has more experience running the awards then I.

If we don't police them, then people cheat. It's happened every time, not most of the time, not some of the time - EVERY TIME. When they tried to relax the rules a few years back (2011/2012?) it quickly became an abused debacle. 2006 was another year I remember there being a significant dialogue regarding cheating. If we police them, then people complain they're policed, but far less people.

YES, they may be policed but at the same time it's the best we can do to make sure the awards are as fair as possible and i'd rather have a fairer awards and less complaints, then have to manage a crap-storm of cheating and 50 page threads of finger pointing and arguments.

The results are always the will of the community. If we police them then it's a slightly restrained will of the community, if we don't place some control on them, then every single player from every hudge alliance ever suddenly appears to single-mindedly vote for their empire, their friends alone and their alliance alone and then it just ends up who has the most loyal, active members wins. Hardly the will of the community if you ask me, but as they're in the community we can't deny the fact that it is partly the will of a part of the community.

It's all just bitter complaining if you ask me. Alliances can't just vote their own guys in anymore and now have to actually consider the rest of the game so every year people have a cry. It's not changing this year, but this is probably going to be my last year so go ahead and kill the rules next year and someother volunteer can deal with the cheating, back stabbing, finger pointing and circular debates and arguments from the kids. :smt023
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Semper wrote:No one has more experience running the awards then I.

If we don't police them, then people cheat. It's happened every time, not most of the time, not some of the time - EVERY TIME. When they tried to relax the rules a few years back (2011/2012?) it quickly became an abused debacle. 2006 was another year I remember there being a significant dialogue regarding cheating. If we police them, then people complain they're policed, but far less people.

YES, they may be policed but at the same time it's the best we can do to make sure the awards are as fair as possible and i'd rather have a fairer awards and less complaints, then have to manage a crap-storm of cheating and 50 page threads of finger pointing and arguments.

The results are always the will of the community. If we police them then it's a slightly restrained will of the community, if we don't place some control on them, then every single player from every hudge alliance ever suddenly appears to single-mindedly vote for their empire, their friends alone and their alliance alone and then it just ends up who has the most loyal, active members wins. Hardly the will of the community if you ask me, but as they're in the community we can't deny the fact that it is partly the will of a part of the community.

It's all just bitter complaining if you ask me. Alliances can't just vote their own guys in anymore and now have to actually consider the rest of the game so every year people have a cry. It's not changing this year, but this is probably going to be my last year so go ahead and kill the rules next year and someother volunteer can deal with the cheating, back stabbing, finger pointing and circular debates and arguments from the kids. :smt023
If one really needs to go to such lengths simply to restraint the community's own instincts, and to prevent it being as thick as mud and as petty as a toddler, then is it really worth it? To what extent can you stop people being themselves?
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
semper

I'd say the lengths gone to have worked as best any could. Turnout is down but I don't feel that's due to the rules, but rather a symptom of a significantly decresed player base. I don't feel the lengths are that excessive either. Ultimately it's just three topics you can't vote for your own alliance in and 115 posts before your vote counts. :p Oh, and ofc you have to post to vote.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Tetrismonkey
Forum Expert
Alliance: Leaf Village

So explain this to me Semper, why is there only three alliances to choose from on the alliance of the decade?
Wonder why my post count is so low? Thats because I was deleted. Why you may ask?
Well, thats because I exposed the truth about Zeratul and Admin Jason had to cover it up.
semper

Read the topic.
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Psi Kiya Trist
The Timeless One
ID: 4266

Honours and Awards

oh hey, I'm apparently a couch.
buck wrote:well psi, upkeeping order in the universe does play its tricks on your mind...

Return to “StarGateWars General”