Do you have a favourite aria?

A place to discuss the music we listen to, mass to, or are looking for a greater appreciation of.
iKon
Forum Irregular
ID: 0

Do you have a favourite aria?

If so, why, and when did you first listen to it?
The Xeno
n00b prophet

Re: Do you have a favourite aria?

...?
This is headed for a lock unless it is suddenly revealed just what that post constitutes.
agapooka
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Honours and Awards

I'd say music section.
Agapooka wrote:The argument that because a premise cannot be proven false, it must be true, is known as a Negative Proof Fallacy in logic.
Mister Sandman wrote:Nothing at all near the negative proof fallacy in logic. If it cannot be proven false, it has to be true.
Pooka's UU Market Loyalty Card:

Rudy Pena: 1 stamp!

A Spider: 1 stamp!
The Xeno
n00b prophet

I figured it was either a girls name, music group, music style, or some manner of albino bohemian fern fungus... just couldn't decide. :P
iKon
Forum Irregular

sorry. wasn't aware we had a music section
Spam Bot
Fledgling Forumer

Yes. The Aria from the first movement of Gorecki's Third Symphony. It was taken from a wall at Dachau, and was a lament from someone who had lost their entire family. To this day it brings tears to my eyes, not just the words (which are in Polish anyway) but the beauty of the aria. I have 2 versions of it - Joanna Kowzlowska's and Dawn Upshaw's. Both intense.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? Epicurus [341–270 B.C.] Greek philosopher
iKon
Forum Irregular

Spam Bot wrote:Yes. The Aria from the first movement of Gorecki's Third Symphony. It was taken from a wall at Dachau, and was a lament from someone who had lost their entire family. To this day it brings tears to my eyes, not just the words (which are in Polish anyway) but the beauty of the aria. I have 2 versions of it - Joanna Kowzlowska's and Dawn Upshaw's. Both intense.

I know exactly what you're talking about, I have that very version on remastered CD, and I agree - there is something about Gorecki's music that just reverberates through the soul, and not just the contect of the symphony; a very passionate composer indeed.
Apollo
Goa'uld Temptress
Race: Railway Stakes
ID: 1337

What do you think them of Lamb's song Gorecki? I love it, but not for it's ties to the Symphony. I love it for it's own sake. :D Unlike when most Classics are violated for the pop market - Vitamin C, for your crimes against Canon you are hereby sentenced to death by.... well, by cannon.
The Goa'uld Temptress has returned.
iKon
Forum Irregular

I think lamb has a certain hypnotic quality about her anyway which, when she really focuses on her music transcends pop trend anyway, for example, gabriel is absolutely beautiful to listen to when you're trying to wind down.

I actually like faithless for the same reason

Return to “Music”