What should Greece do?

Grrece should...

Default and leave the EU.
60%
Stay in the EU and carry on with the banks plan of austerity regardless of what the Greek people want.
10%
I have another idea (please explain).
30%

Total votes: 10
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

Re: What should Greece do?

Erm..no, so far as i am aware "interest should be outlawed" does not equate to "i love welfare states". i'm pretty sure that "Interest should be outlawed" means the charging of interest should be illegal for all time.

A brief history lesson...

The charging of interest was once upon a time known as "usury" which was outlawed by church and state due it's corrupt nature.

That also doe not mean that loans and fees cannot be made...after all, there is a certain amount of risk in loaning out money. i have no problem if a bank has a flat fee for borrowing money, what i object to is compounding interest which make it impossible to pay back the initial principle, let alone the accumulated debt from the interest.

Debt and interest are destructive, always have been and always will be...that is undeniable and historical fact.
Last edited by [KMA]Avenger on Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

deni wrote:
MEZZANINE wrote:@ Deni, you say banks have to buy government bonds, not true. Banks have to hold capital and prefer to hold governments Bonds ( which the law allows them to call capital ) at low interest income than hold cash reserves earning no interest.

Cash reserves earn at least the EONIA/SONIA/USONFFE/... and can be liquidated overnight. Bonds earn more, but they bind liquidity long term. Considering liquidity cost (and not even credit spread risk), you might realize that banks do not "earn" that much by holding government bonds.

Further, bonds are NO capital. You will find the "capital" on the right hand side of a balance sheet. Bonds are assets and as such, they belong on the left hand side. Bonds are thus as much "capital" as the mortage your house bank gave you. You can look up your basic accounting text book ;)

What makes governement bonds different from your mortage loan, is that their risk weight is zero thus holding governement bonds does not cost you (tier 1)capital (and yes, thats the most costly one).

Your mortage on the other side, has a risk weight of 100%, meaning that for every 100 € of it, a bank has to hold 8 € of capital and can finance the other 92% through taking debt itself.

And guess what, the debt the bank takes is covered by what? Right, government bonds!

The calculation is simple: covered debt is cheaper than uncovered one, means less re-financing cost, less re-financing cost means cheaper interest rates for the mortage you take.

Simple, isn't it?

In the end, by setting the risk weight of government bonds to 0 procent, the regulator and thus the law, are forcing banks to buy governemnt bonds in order to provide coverage for their own debt without contracting their lending business and thus avoiding a credit-crunch and whatever comes from it ;)

Well I'm not expert on this subject ( or any other lol ), Im not in the banking industry and Im not a qualified accountant, but I am AAT ( Association of Accounting Technicians ) qualified and I do work as a Treasury Officer dealing with mortgages, cashflows and investments for a Social Housing Charity so I do know a bit about finance.

Government bonds are not something I have first hand experience and as you say technically the the governments that issued the bonds are debtors and should appear on that side of the balance sheet, BUT as I understand it the way that bonds differ from loans is that they are also considered as having a guaranteed monetary value ( whereas debtors are only potential or projected income ), Government Bonds can be considered a kind of international promissory note so can be used as currency, and thus can be considered as Financial capital, or used as assets/security to borrow against.

IMO this is wrong for several reasons

1) Bonds are in the currency of the Government that issues them, if the currency losses value then the bonds are worth less so they are NOT secure.

2) If a country defaults on interest payments then no-one will buy the bonds at face value so the trade value can drop.

3) If the bonds international value drops and the bank holding them has used the bonds as assets/security for loans, then those loans are no longer secure, therefor if the banks other debors default the bank could fail to make it's own repayments and become insolvent itself.

Back to the original point I made, you said banks 'HAVE' to buy Government Bonds, I maintain they do NOT have to, they choose to, they have the option to buy other secure assets or hold cash reserves but they choose to buy bonds on the false premise that they are a safe investment or way of holding capital in a secure way.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Rabbid Thom
Wascawwy Wabbit
Alliance: General - Battle/FAQ Mods
Race: Rabbid
ID: 7905

sell the rest of greece off to Virgin and keep my home town with all it's money and then reconquer parts of Virgin greece as and when i have the capita to maintain it

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”